20 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:00 AM

Yeah, this is another "Happy David" pen.

I actively collect Sheaffer's Balance, though not with quite the same completist bent with which I pursue the Parker Vacumatic. However, having built a significant Roseglow collection (one of the most scarce colors), I always am willing to add another variant in this color to my personal collection. At the Los Angeles Pen Show, Feb 2011, I managed to find one (we'll actually a couple) I did not yet own.

This one is a standard girth full length non-white dot (2nd tier among the 4 tiers) pen. However it falls off the "main sequence" of Sheaffer evolution and style. It has couple rather unusual features. The pen is in terrific condition, the trim very clean, indeed.

Do look at the pen with an eye to the anomalous.

Anything seem... unusual?

Posted Image

regards

David

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 Kirchh

Kirchh

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:37 AM

This is the expected configuration for the Canadian model at this position in the line. If it is US production it is quite anomalous.

--Daniel

#3 onedumbtrucker

onedumbtrucker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:37 AM

The Sheaffer logo is backwards/upside down? That's pretty unusual I would say.

Dan

#4 Kirchh

Kirchh

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:50 AM

The logo is right side up.

--Daniel

#5 Mike Kirk

Mike Kirk

journeyman

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationWixom, Michigan

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:54 AM

Yes; most unusual. Most unusual to see a signed/imprinted clip with full ball on the end. I could've sworn all the ones I've seen have the smooth clip with no imprint or ball on the end. But...I've had memory lapses before. :rolleyes:

Now, the post on Zoss that identifies "white" trim instead of gold (filled) trim. That puzzles me as my eyes are not good enough to see what metal the trim appears to be in your photo.

The pencil itself is not very common either. I've seen many more roseglow (or rose-glow) pens than pencils. Particularly one without cap band.

Regards,
Mike Kirk

Mike Kirk

(~==]=====]]
Penfindum Restorum

Memberpca_logo100x100_zps688ac2a8.png NAWCCLogo_zps4a922f0b.jpg

#6 Kirchh

Kirchh

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:58 AM

The vast majority of round-ball clips are imprinted.

--Daniel

#7 Mike Kirk

Mike Kirk

journeyman

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:05 AM

I didn't say that the round ball clips weren't, Daniel. I was referring to the clips with no ball and no imprint (both). Pretty much straight clip. I don't recall the colloquial term for that clip at the moment. Didn't mean to mislead.

Regards,
Mike

Mike Kirk

(~==]=====]]
Penfindum Restorum

#8 Kirchh

Kirchh

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:08 AM

Weren't you referring to the clip on this pen?

--Daniel

#9 Mike Kirk

Mike Kirk

journeyman

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:24 AM

Yes but I did not imply that the clip configuration itself is unusual (full ball with imprint). I meant that the presence of that clip on the Roseglow pen seemed unusual to me. I thought that particular clip design might not be usually seen on the Roseglow pens.

The clip I referred to is this one on PenHero's site. This is the clip I recall seein on these pens.
Posted Image
Regards,
Mike

Mike Kirk

(~==]=====]]
Penfindum Restorum

#10 Kirchh

Kirchh

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:33 AM

Ah, now I understand. I misinterpreted your statement.

You are correct with regard to the absence of this particular clip design (peaked round-ball clip) on Roseglow items -- U.S. production, that is. But it is expected on Canadian pens, as they had different configurations than did U.S. instruments.

--Daniel

#11 Mike Kirk

Mike Kirk

journeyman

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:42 AM

You are correct with regard to the absence of this particular clip design (peaked round-ball clip) on Roseglow items -- U.S. production, that is. But it is expected on Canadian pens, as they had different configurations than did U.S. instruments.

--Daniel

I did not know that about Canadian Balances. Thanks for the info.
Our friends in the great white north seem to be known for doing their own thing with these and Vacumatics.:D

Regards,
Mike

Mike Kirk

(~==]=====]]
Penfindum Restorum

#12 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:43 AM

The apparent disconnect in some of this back and forth stems from a core feature of this pen, which Daniel-- as expected-- caught early on, but which still carries significant collecting import, imo.

The pen has features which are anomalous for typical, mainstream (i've come to like "main sequence" from my astronomy days) Sheaffers, but which are less anomalous once the pen is put in context.

Mike is quite right. Roseglow was introduced after Sheaffers-- as illustrated in numerous USA-catalogues-- moved to the smooth "radius" clip. As with all the "late" colors, the two top tiers (white dot with Lifetime nib, and non-white dot full girth with #5 Feather Touch) nib have the radius clip. Even with USA pens, the two lower lines (3rd tier with non-white dot cap and #3 nib, and Junior 4th tier with "Junior" nib) have the slightly older style "flat-ball" clip that is marked still "Sheaffers". Exceptions exist for off-catalogue cap-bands (double , triple, jeweler's, etc). All non-gray striped-era pens have gold-filled trim, save that all Junior, 4th-tier pens have chrome trim.

This pen is an anomaly in that context in that it is a full girth pen (thus at least 2nd tier), but has:

• chrome trim
  • full-ball clip (discontinued by Sheaffer years earlier)
  • not showing in pic, a #5-30 (also earlier-seeming than the expected #5 Feather Touch), but with a more odd finding, a two tone effect not seen or catalogued in USA for the earlier 5-30.
Daniel nailed quickly that the pen is Canadian. Thus the "rules" as outlined for the Sheaffer main sequence (based on observation of pens and from catalogue data from the USA) need not apply.

The pen *might* not be anomalous for a Canadian Sheaffer. It is anomalous relative to expectations for USA-made pens. The charm then is that certain apparent anomalies can clue us in to the pen's Canadian origins. I like that.

Canadian Sheaffers from 1930's-1940's fall well under the radar for most collectors. They can be found with some serious deviations from general expectations and offer some cool variants. Pens with WASP type clips are found. Various reversal of trim. Even non-Balances done in striped Balance plastic.

The pen in this post I believe still warrants the "reverse trim" label. Whether or not it is a catalogued Canadian variant (I've seen no Canadian documentation for any Balance), it is still a minority finding, based on my experience, even among Canadian pens.

I have seen a fair number of "reverse trim" pens of Canadian origin. They are well more prevalent than USA pens of this sort (I'm scratching head to recall i've I've seen any reverse-trim USA made pens with normal cap-band), but that they do crop up does not mean they were... routine.

Per Daniel: This is the expected configuration for the Canadian model at this position in the line. If it is US production it is quite anomalous.

Those are strong words. If this is the expected configuration, then one would not... expect... to see regular yellow trim. I believe I have seen that. Too, I've not seen catalogue, so am not sure Sheaffer promoted this chrome-on-Rose as the typical pattern. Some support data is invited... ;)

As Daniel suggests, were this a USA made pen, it would have greater cachet. Still, it definitely is a "bonus points" pen.

As aside, I note that I am not certain I've ever seen a radius clip (used routinely on the top two Balance tiers from some point in 1935 though 1941 for USA made pens) on any Canadian Balance.

regards

David

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#13 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:38 PM

All kinds of cool... and generally I'm not all that crazy about "reverse" trim. It looks right in this context though.

Would really love to see that two tone 5-30!

Tim
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#14 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:02 AM

All kinds of cool... and generally I'm not all that crazy about "reverse" trim. It looks right in this context though.

Would really love to see that two tone 5-30!

Tim

As you wish...

Posted Image

regards

david

Posted Image

#15 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 26 February 2011 - 12:40 AM

Very interesting! I have some observations (that is, after all, what I do...), but I'll post them later when I'm not just about to go home for the day. Thanks!

Tim

#16 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:40 PM

Here's another quirky Canadian Balance. Same size as the Roseglow above, full length and full girth, it also has a clip not found on this model when from the USA. USA striated pens (1936-1941) have Radius clip for pens in the top two tiers, which includes all full girth pens. Flat-ball clip (earlier style) is found in the lower line slender pens.

This Carmine Balance has the flat ball clip instead of Radius clip.

Posted Image

regards

David

Posted Image

#17 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:10 PM

Very interesting! I have some observations (that is, after all, what I do...), but I'll post them later when I'm not just about to go home for the day. Thanks!

Tim

Okay... five days ago I said I'd post later. I guess that's about what my pace has been lately.

I think it's interesting that two tone 5-30 looks as if someone magically merged a Feather Touch 5 and a 5-30... combining details of both without altering at all where those details are respectively located. So now I have to wonder... do Feather Touch 5 nibs exist that say "Made in Canada"?

Tim

#18 Kirchh

Kirchh

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:39 PM

Okay... five days ago I said I'd post later. I guess that's about what my pace has been lately.

I think it's interesting that two tone 5-30 looks as if someone magically merged a Feather Touch 5 and a 5-30... combining details of both without altering at all where those details are respectively located. So now I have to wonder... do Feather Touch 5 nibs exist that say "Made in Canada"?

Tim

It is little appreciated that Feathertouch nibs were not so marked until several years after they were introduced (and Sheaffer used the term "Feather Touch" before they created nibs with plated foreparts, but that's a story for another day). Like many features (on many consumer products, even to this day), the Feathertouch attribute appeared first on the highest-line pens, then worked its way down over the years. When it made it to the tier just below the Lifetime level, it was applied to the then-current 5-30 nib size/style that was fitted to pens in that stratum, and the 5-30 markings were retained. Shortly thereafter, the well-known and long-lived "Feathertouch" imprint was applied to the nibs for that tier, replacing the 2-tone 5-30 nib.

--Daniel

#19 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:38 AM

Fascinating. So there are two tone 5-30 nibs that say "MADE IN U.S.A."?

Tim

#20 Kirchh

Kirchh

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:35 PM

Fascinating. So there are two tone 5-30 nibs that say "MADE IN U.S.A."?

Tim

Indeed.

--Daniel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users