#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:29 PM

Hi,

I've handled a fair number of Hicks pens over the years. Shot a collection. Have seen silver, gold-filled and alloy gold. Own a very nice gold-filled large specimen and just picked up a solid gold made-for-Tiffany's, in the original Tiffany's box. Typical bulb filler. Very nice pen. Have a vague recollection (not sure) that Edward Todd also made pens for Tiffany.

I'd appreciate it if anyone with information as to when the bulb filler Hicks were made. Or any info regarding the Hicks-Tiffany connection. There was a development with this pen that might make for a good PENnant article. I'm guessing 1925 or so, but have no hard info.

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 sara s.

sara s.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:55 AM

Hi David,

I have an Edward Todd 1922 14K gold-filled pen made for Tiffany, I might have shown it to you at the Columbus show. It is quite lovely and was Carla Mortensen's grandfather's pen. She told me, however, that I must sell it back to her if I ever want to part with it.

Sara

#3 John Jenkins

John Jenkins

journeyman

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • LocationDallas

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:04 AM

David,

I haven't anything hard to offer, only observations. I have two W.S. Hicks combos, two Tiffany combos, two LT & Sons combos and one Edward Todd combo. They are remarkably similar, and I cannot imagine they are not from the same source.

The Hicks is known only by the nib imprint, there is not a "makers" mark on the barrel or cap. The others do have "makers" marks. The Tiffanys sport Hicks nibs as well. The Edward Todd has an Edward Todd nib and the LT & Sons have warranted nibs.

The Hicks and Tiffanys are bulb fillers while the Todd and LT are lever fillers.

I can shoot some pics if it would be helpful.

Sara,

How do you make the Todd/Tiffany connection? Is there some indication on the pen or something in writing? I'm not being snarky, I'm just very interested in finally seeing hard proof for what I've heard for years.

Regards,
John
The poster formerely known as Buzz J

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users