Photo

Parker 51 Eye Candy. Set Ya Just Don't Handle Every Day.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 02 July 2011 - 02:49 PM

Probably should have used a more contrasting color for the background and had trouble with light washing out the caps, but I think i got it right.

Not so common a set

Posted Image

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 Pen Is Mightier

Pen Is Mightier

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationIn the land of Oz

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:28 PM

Ooh it is pretty, what color is that I don't think I have seen a 51 in that color before?

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:39 PM

Ooh it is pretty, what color is that I don't think I have seen a 51 in that color before?

Hi,

Mustard (really Yellowstone Yellow) with solid 14k two tone "Empire" caps.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#4 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 05:39 PM

This is a great looking set. So here's a question for the 51 experts. Every set I've seen with these two-tone Empire caps (which is about 5 or 6 now) has been on Yellowstone Yellow pens. Were these cataloged that way, or is it just coincidental?

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#5 parkercollector.com

parkercollector.com

journeyman

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 05:40 PM

Probably should have used a more contrasting color for the background and had trouble with light washing out the caps, but I think i got it right.

Not so common a set
regards

David

Those caps are to die for!

Mine has a more standard cap, and sadly no pencil companion, but these pens are great!

Posted Image

/Tony
Posted Image

#6 Pen Is Mightier

Pen Is Mightier

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationIn the land of Oz

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:51 PM

Hi,

Mustard (really Yellowstone Yellow) with solid 14k two tone "Empire" caps.

regards

david

Thanks for the answer! And I agree with the other folks the empire caps are pretty.

#7 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:24 AM

This is a great looking set. So here's a question for the 51 experts. Every set I've seen with these two-tone Empire caps (which is about 5 or 6 now) has been on Yellowstone Yellow pens. Were these cataloged that way, or is it just coincidental?

Available on any color pen. I have had a black set, a Nassau pencil, and a Buckskin set.

The black was my favorite.

T

#8 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:15 AM

Available on any color pen. I have had a black set, a Nassau pencil, and a Buckskin set.

T

Ah but that response somewhat begs the question ;)

I find first year caps on aerometric pens. Thus I conclude that first year caps are available on both filler eras? ;)

How things are found now (available) is not always the same as how they were originally offered. For example, save for first year caps, no one really sweats which cap is found on which year double jewel 51, but I confess doubts that the cornucopia of cap patterns were made for all 8 years.

Problem of course is that I am not wholly certain of the answer to this question.

I do see of Empire caps of course on all color barrels, but did they start that way? I have heard rumors (i have no evidence) that some of the gold caps were released only or predominantly on the three uncommon vac-era colors, Yellowstone Yellow, Buckskin Beige and Nassau Green. On the other hand, I have vague recollection of seeing the 1941 Parker catalogue showing gold caps on typical colors. Rumor can be a dangerous thing.

Purely by anecdote, I believe I do see gold caps disproportionately frequently on the three relatively uncommon colors, as in an Empire is more likely to turn up with a yellow barrel than a typical double jewel pen is likely to be yellow.

Don't know if anyone has stronger info...

regards

david

Posted Image

#9 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:25 PM

Purely by anecdote, I believe I do see gold caps disproportionately frequently on the three relatively uncommon colors, as in an Empire is more likely to turn up with a yellow barrel than a typical double jewel pen is likely to be yellow.

This is why I asked the question. I thought it odd to see gold Empire caps on Yellowstone pens consistently. I was starting to chalk it up to collectors mating rare caps with uncommon colors in order to jack up the value of their pens even more. I would think that a Yellowstone pen with an Empire cap is going to be far more valuable than a black pen with its original Empire cap.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#10 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:35 PM

This is why I asked the question. I thought it odd to see gold Empire caps on Yellowstone pens consistently. I was starting to chalk it up to collectors mating rare caps with uncommon colors in order to jack up the value of their pens even more. I would think that a Yellowstone pen with an Empire cap is going to be far more valuable than a black pen with its original Empire cap.

Hi John,

Not certain. Independent of whether Parker biased the Empire caps to the three better colors initially (again, I don't *know* that but I have heard rumblings), it is a classic debate as to how to arrange caps on barrels after the fact in order to extract maximal value. This is yet another case representing the "Speary Principle" that collector's cannot... add.

So, a common 51 pen gains value if the barrel is yellow and a common 51 pen gains value if the cap is empire. But, does a pen gain the full value of both upgrades if they are present together? Not clear.

Some argue that one does better the opposite way, extracting the full benefit of the empire cap on black pen for those who really want empire, but don't care about color, and that those who just really want yellow won't always want empire.

And so forth...

-d

Posted Image

#11 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:36 PM

BTW... not sure how much online chat there has been about the 8 vs 9 stalagmite Empires. We should discuss that sometime.

-d

Posted Image

#12 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:56 PM

Love those caps! Reminds me of a beautiful sunset :D

#13 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:28 AM

rule of thumb....

always put the empire caps on the black pens when it comes time to sell.

put the plain GF caps on the high cachet colors, mustard, nassau, and buckskin...

Someone told me that once...

#14 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:29 AM

also, desireable nibs in black pens,

fine points in the high cachet colors...

#15 wekiva98

wekiva98

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

The first Empire set I ever saw was in cedar blue. I thought it looked pretty good, but I'm not sure I've seen that combination again.

#16 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

rule of thumb....

put the plain GF caps on the high cachet colors, mustard, nassau, and buckskin...

Why is that? Just more money? Are what David showed us just Empire caps, no, what are they? They are rare/scare two tone Empire caps... right?

#17 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

rule of thumb....

Why is that? Just more money? Are what David showed us just Empire caps, no, what are they? They are rare/scare two tone Empire caps... right?

In general collectors can not add. In particular pen collectors can not add.

#18 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:50 PM

rule of thumb....

In general collectors can not add. In particular pen collectors can not add.

Can not, or will not, pay the premium for a rare color plus the premium for a rare cap on one pen?

The Empire cap paired with Yellowstone/mustard is stunning, but don't ever turn down a chance to snag any color with an Empire cap!

Posted Image

#19 Euro Vintage

Euro Vintage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:30 AM

T
[/quote]

Life is harsh and unfair.

Three sets of Empire Caps !!!!

While us mere mortals have never laid eyes on one (in person, that is).

Tri

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users