• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Penman

Penman

journeyman

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:21 PM

That other place has someone selling Parker Vacs that are an eyedropper conversation, havent seen one myself.

Does anyone know if the can be turned back into a Vac filler?

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:22 PM

That other place has someone selling Parker Vacs that are an eyedropper conversation, havent seen one myself.

Does anyone know if the can be turned back into a Vac filler?

Hey, references and quotes would help. This isn't Pentrace where mentioning other pen locales results in a Lenny whine. Posted Image

I'm not a restoration pro, and I try not to trash Vacs (obviously), but I'm guessing that unless the blind cap was welded to the barrel, the seat for the filling unit trashed , etc, that fitting a new filling unit would solve some of the problems. All depends how irreversible was the hack. ;)

regards

David

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 Penman

Penman

journeyman

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:16 PM

Hey, references and quotes would help. This isn't Pentrace where mentioning other pen locales results in a Lenny whine. Posted Image

I'm not a restoration pro, and I try not to trash Vacs (obviously), but I'm guessing that unless the blind cap was welded to the barrel, the seat for the filling unit trashed , etc, that fitting a new filling unit would solve some of the problems. All depends how irreversible was the hack. ;)

regards

David

Thanks David - I appreciate your reply.

Am I correct in thinking that Parker sold off some rod stock to India - Wilson organsiation - I think that either they were built as eyedroppers or were soon converted.

One of these eyedropper Vacs is on its way to me, for $18 its down to curiosity money.

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:25 PM

Am I correct in thinking that Parker sold off some rod stock to India - Wilson organsiation - I think that either they were built as eyedroppers or were soon converted.

One of these eyedropper Vacs is on its way to me, for $18 its down to curiosity money.

I've not had clear info regarding the Vac-esque Wilsons. Have seen a couple. Cannot recall if the plastic was identical to Vac or similar. Do toss out some info/images if you have any.

Regards

David

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#5 djohannsen

djohannsen

journeyman

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • LocationFredericksburg, VA

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:35 PM

Lots of companies used striped celluloid that is (to my uneducated eyes) indistinguishable from the celluloid of the Vacumatics. Italiam pens from the late forties and fifties really tried to capitalize on the success of the Vac. There are more Williamson and Kosca pens in this striped celluloid than you can shake a stick at (I've got a cool Kosca in front of me right now that uses the Silver Pearl plastic from the Vac and the hooded nib from the 51). One also sees Japanese pens from about the same era also using the striped celluloid plastic (though I have never examined one of these closely to determine the degree to which it succeeds in imitating the Vac). Of course Visconti has made several modern "homage" pens in this striped celluloid as well (Wall Street and Copernicus come to mind), though these plastics can easily be distinguished from that used on the Vacumatic.

#6 Penman

Penman

journeyman

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:13 PM

The pens are sold by Allwritenow and I hope that Steve will not mind my giving some publicity oxygen to his link.

http://www.fountainp..._1#entry1583140

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:19 PM

The pens are sold by Allwritenow and I hope that Steve will not mind my giving some publicity oxygen to his link.

http://www.fountainp..._1#entry1583140

No worries, I'll ask him for a free beer at Ohio as payback ;)

I have doubts that Wilson is Parker connected, but happy to keep open mind on this point.

regards

David

Posted Image

#8 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:59 AM

Haha, Steve gets breakfast next time he is in Adamstown!!!! you all heard it here first.... I am thinking I might have quite the appetite that day, lol......

we had a bust of a weekend, no finds this past Sunday, go figure. Some weeks are winners, some are not.

I think the pens Steve is listing, and he can correct me if I am wrong, are vacs that were converted sometime in their life to eyedropper fill. Reuse of what was available? Not sure though. He could probably fill us all in on this...

#9 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:10 AM

I grabbed one because I spotted CHAMPION on the barrel. It wasn't a Parker pen but was a copy. The cap is a Parker cap though. Anyone got a CHAMPION cap that looks like a Vac cap. The pen looks to have never had a removable blind cap. Sort of interesting pen for the non-vac vac box.

Todd

#10 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationManila/Virginia/San Diego

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:50 PM

this calls for a whole new thread on wannabe vacs, don't you think? i have one or two of those.... ;)
Check out my pens here and my blog here.

#11 SteveB

SteveB

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:36 PM

Ok here I am...

For the majority of the "Parker Vacs' they have all had the fillers removed a plug of ebonite glued in, with I have no idea what, then the exposed plug part is threaded to match the blind cap.
More often than not the blind cap has been glued in place. I have tried heat etc but to no avail.
The blind caps aren't removable. Well, not by this hack.

My limited understanding is that these were 'found' without gold nibs, feeds or fillers.

I did get a WILSON that has a plastic vac filler unit that is restored and working as a Vacumatic would.
A breather tube was necessary but it fills well.

So long story just a bit longer.
NO they can't be returned to their original state of a Parker Vacumatic.

However, if you need a clip ,a cap or blind cap feel free to buy them.

Thank you

Steve

p.s. I'll buy Rick if we find some daggone pens and it isn't 110* in the shade!

#12 Penman

Penman

journeyman

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:01 PM

Ok here I am...

For the majority of the "Parker Vacs' they have all had the fillers removed a plug of ebonite glued in, with I have no idea what, then the exposed plug part is threaded to match the blind cap.
More often than not the blind cap has been glued in place. I have tried heat etc but to no avail.
The blind caps aren't removable. Well, not by this hack.

My limited understanding is that these were 'found' without gold nibs, feeds or fillers.

I did get a WILSON that has a plastic vac filler unit that is restored and working as a Vacumatic would.
A breather tube was necessary but it fills well.

So long story just a bit longer.
NO they can't be returned to their original state of a Parker Vacumatic.

However, if you need a clip ,a cap or blind cap feel free to buy them.

Thank you

Steve

p.s. I'll buy Rick if we find some daggone pens and it isn't 110* in the shade!

Thanks Steve, thats helpful.

Is it correct that celluloid stock was sold by Parker to Wilson, presumably ex Canadian stock and after 1953?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users