4 replies to this topic

#1 jkingrph

jkingrph

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationE. Texas, NE Louisiana

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:45 AM

I have been noticing some of the Duofolds, the marble finished bodies, where the top will be more or a white or pearl, and the main body of the pen is more amber or yellowish. Is this normal or would they be considered mismatches, ie frankenpens?
Regards

Jeff

#2 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • LocationPenguin, NW Tasmania, AUSTRALIA

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:46 AM

I have been noticing some of the Duofolds, the marble finished bodies, where the top will be more or a white or pearl, and the main body of the pen is more amber or yellowish. Is this normal or would they be considered mismatches, ie frankenpens?

G'day from DownUnder ;)

I think you will find this is simply a case of the pen being used as a regular writer, and that would be called 'patina' if it was on wooden furniture. It shows use, and in the case of pens in the hand, there will be an exchange of sweat and oils from the skin into the barrel of the pen as it is held. The caps would normally be posted or set aside while in use.

Happy to be shown I am wrong, but that is my take on this difference in colouration.
Garth
Penguin, NW Tasmania, Australia

We will be forever known by the tracks we leave behind - Sitting Bull

#3 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:20 AM

Generally the discolouration is caused by the chemicals from the rubber sacs reacting with the celluloid, seems to be more common with pearl and green pens. I guess other factors may also come in to play over time.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:00 AM

While mismatched parts are a concern when collecting old pens (Paul Erano will have article on this in the next PENnant Magazine), discoloration of original celluloid parts is not an uncommon issue too. Most pens in pale colors show some degree of discoloration. Indeed, preservation of original color is a big factor in valuing vintage pens. A black/pearl Duofold Senior can range in value (assuming clean, save for color) from, say, $300-$1500 depending on status of color preservation.

Discoloration of celluloid likely is multifactorial. I know of no formal studies (go figure), but location of discoloration on various pens suggests light and sac/ink fumes contribute. One cannot rule out reaction to skin oils, but the presence of differential discoloration (barrel worse than cap) even on seemingly mint pens suggests a significant impact from rubber exposure.

Sorry for slow answers. Been traveling at length this week.

regards

-david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:10 AM

G'day from DownUnder ;)

I think you will find this is simply a case of the pen being used as a regular writer, and that would be called 'patina' if it was on wooden furniture. It shows use, and in the case of pens in the hand, there will be an exchange of sweat and oils from the skin into the barrel of the pen as it is held. The caps would normally be posted or set aside while in use.

Happy to be shown I am wrong, but that is my take on this difference in colouration.

Hi Garth,

I'm not pro-from-dover regarding old furniture, but have vague recollection that such patina is an outside-in phenomenon and indeed not considered a bad thing. Feel free to correct me on that :)

But, the game is a bit different with pens. While skin secretions might play a role, and while in some cases light and heat can play a role, in most cases the discoloration of pale celluloids seems to be an inside-out process, and common suspects are ink fumes and rubber fumes (sac, section/feed). Discoloration is not viewed as a good thing with old pens. Finding examples with great color is one of the great challenges in pen collecting ;)

Here is a shot done by Roger Wooten for a Sheaffer flat-top discussion. Even allowing (a hot button topic itself) there might have been some inter-pen shade variation when mint, it is clear that the pens subsequently discolor variably). I have a shot showing this dramatically, but cannot find it now.

Posted Image

One of the high point of my own collection is my wee hoard of superb-color Jade pens. The image below shows most of them. 13 years aggressive hunting went into this bunch.

Posted Image

regards

David

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users