8 replies to this topic

#1 jonro

jonro

journeyman

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:27 AM

A new pen, an acquisition from eBay, arrived today. These OS Clippers seem to be relatively uncommon. It arrived in decent condition, but it took about a half hour of prep work to really make it shine. This one is a lever fill and has metal end caps on each end. The nib, a WASP No. 7, has the inscription "Writes Two Ways," and it does, going from a true fine to an extra fine. Now that I finally have one pattern, I think I want to collect them all.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by jonro, 30 December 2011 - 04:27 AM.

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:33 AM

A new pen, an acquisition from eBay, arrived today. These OS Clippers seem to be relatively uncommon. It arrived in decent condition, but it took about a half hour of prep work to really make it shine. This one is a lever fill and has metal end caps on each end. The nib, a WASP No. 7, has the inscription "Writes Two Ways," and it does, going from a true fine to an extra fine. Now that I finally have one pattern, I think I want to collect them all.

And a Deluxe with wide band and two tone nib, yet. Cool. Looks to be in nice shape. Image is well done too.

regards

d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:54 AM

Here's its albino twin. One of my first circuit board WASPs from way back when.

Posted Image

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#4 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:36 PM

And don't forget to look for the matching pencil

Posted Image

#5 philm

philm

journeyman

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:31 PM

Jon,

Nice find and a great clean up job!

Phil

#6 snorkelcc

snorkelcc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:06 AM

Is # 7 the biggest nib for WASP ?

I have 2 OS WASP Clippers, one with 2 tone #7 nib and wider band while the other has single tone #7 nib and narrow band...

Any idea about the color of the band and clip ? Both OS WASP I have are in Green but the wider band has Chrome trim while narrow band is GF.

CC

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:38 PM

Is # 7 the biggest nib for WASP ?

I have 2 OS WASP Clippers, one with 2 tone #7 nib and wider band while the other has single tone #7 nib and narrow band...

Any idea about the color of the band and clip ? Both OS WASP I have are in Green but the wider band has Chrome trim while narrow band is GF.

CC

Hi Snork,

For the WASP pens in "circuit board" pattern-- noting this description is collector based, not original to Sheaffer-- the wide lined cap-band pens are considered Deluxe and feature two tone nibs. Otherwise similar smooth thin-band pens pack monotone nib.

Recognizing that anomalies... happen... chrome trim is shown only for Grey Pearl pens, not for Green and Brown, which have gold-filled trim. My first guess- if you are seeing chrome trim on a green pen-- is that you are seeing a discolored gray pen. Gray pens from various makers can lean yellow or green with discoloration, though I have not seen that so much in the circuit-board pens. If you have a true green with chrome trim, that would... interest me.

Do post image.

regards

david

Posted Image

#8 snorkelcc

snorkelcc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:05 AM

Hi David,
You are right, in fact only the grey alone looks very green to me (I may need to check with my eye :( ).

When I put both WASPs together, it clearly shows that the Chrome Trim one is in Grey. Thanks for your clarification.

URL=http://fountainpenboard.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&img=843]Posted Image[/URL]

Posted Image

The #7 nib is a bit small compare to the barrel size, are there any #8 WASP nib available ?

Posted Image

CC

#9 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:44 PM

Hi David,
You are right, in fact only the grey alone looks very green to me (I may need to check with my eye :( ).

When I put both WASPs together, it clearly shows that the Chrome Trim one is in Grey. Thanks for your clarification.

SNIP

The #7 nib is a bit small compare to the barrel size, are there any #8 WASP nib available ?

CC

Hi Snork,

I'm not certain the two tone #7 nib is larger than the monotone, though that is possible. Depending on point, different nibs can have different shape/cut. Shoulders can be wider or narrower,, taper to the tip can be longer or shorter. I have not compared many, but would want to compare at least a few before drawing conclusion. Ideally (not practical... who wants to disassemble a bunch of fragile old pens casually) would be neat to weigh 'em too.

Manufacturer application of nib size numbers can be a capricious thing. Low line pens often embraced for their rinky dink small nibs the lofty high numbers used on large nibs by major makers.

WASP of course was made by high line maker but it is a second tier pen. Ads cite 12k gold instead of 14k (nicer gift still than the steel used in some nibs). I have not done side-by-side, but would not be shocked if WASP (by Sheaffer) with #7 12k gold nib has nib actually smaller than conventional Sheaffer #6 nib from earlier years when Sheaffer still numbered its nibs based on size. Certainliy at first peek a WASP #7 looks smaller than a Parker/Waterman #6 nib. And length and width (never mind the karat alloy issue) hides the issue of thickness of the gold. I've seen enough cracked WASP nibs that I do suspect the nibs are on the thin side... all sensible event for cheaper series.

The parallel is in the story of quality neck ties from the '30's (I do not have sources for the tale). High line tie makers placed one, two, or three lines of gold color thread at bottom of tie (back side) to indicate the level of the tie. Soon, the low line ties from low line makers were sporting 8 lines of gold.

Offhand, I do not recall a #8 markiing on a WASP or related (Vacuum, Vacuum-Fil) pen.

regards

david

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users