13 replies to this topic

#1 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:54 AM

I'm back from the Triangle Pen Show, folks, and I picked up an interesting Parker to "Challenge" your knowledge with. Can you guess what the imprint on this pen and pencil set is? It's not as easy as you might think...

Posted Image

Here's a clue:
Posted Image

First one to guess it gets an Attaboy.

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:58 AM

I'm back from the Triangle Pen Show, folks, and I picked up an interesting Parker to "Challenge" your knowledge with. Can you guess what the imprint on this pen and pencil set is? It's not as easy as you might think...

First one to guess it gets an Attaboy.

Barrel is opaque and filling system is button?

regards

d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:30 AM

Televisor or Moderne?

#4 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:32 AM

It is an opaque barrel and a button filler. It is not a Moderne or Televisor.

#5 jonro

jonro

journeyman

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:38 AM

Is it an American Challenger with a Canadian nib?

#6 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:52 AM

Is it an American Challenger with a Canadian nib?

Not so simple as that.

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:00 AM

Given that some Parkers made in Canada carry unusual imprints, and recalling a couple I have owned and/or have seen, I'd go with Victory or Premier.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#8 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:21 AM

Given that some Parkers made in Canada carry unusual imprints, and recalling a couple I have owned and/or have seen, I'd go with Victory or Premier.

regards

david

Posted Image

Looks like David gets the Attaboy for today. So, Attaboy, David!

Interesting is the 1935 date code. I seemed to remember that these really only popped up with Premiere and Moderne imprints in the very late 30s and very early 40s.

#9 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:27 AM

Looks like David gets the Attaboy for today. So, Attaboy, David!

Interesting is the 1935 date code. I seemed to remember that these really only popped up with Premiere and Moderne imprints in the very late 30s and very early 40s.

Thank you thank you. As a Hack Amateur Newbie collector of Parkers, this award gives me the chance to thank my friends and family who have enabled me to reach this special occasion...

Back to the pen though... neat find.

Keep in mind our usage of "Premiere" and "Moderne" for the flat end "Thrift" pens comes from the appearance of those names on Canadian versions of those pens, as the USA made examples are nameless. I've have some very odd Canadian Challengers, and have toothbrush Duofolds carrying "Parker Victory" imprints. I have vague recollection of some of the Challenger-like "Thrift" pens carrying "Premiere" label, but not certain.

We should collate data on mutant Canadian Parkers. Heck if some dabbler at Sheaffers can write Septuagenarian Mutant Canadian Sheaffers for PENnant Magazine, gathering some info on Canadian Parkers should be possible ;)

-d

Posted Image

#10 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:53 AM

Your "Mutant Canadian Sheaffers" article was very interesting, David. I wouldn't mind seeing a Parker equivalent. I can bring the set to the DC show if you'd like to photograph it.

#11 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:58 AM

Your "Mutant Canadian Sheaffers" article was very interesting, David. I wouldn't mind seeing a Parker equivalent. I can bring the set to the DC show if you'd like to photograph it.

Happy to see it. Strange though it might seem, I was better positioned to do the Sheaffer article than I am to do a Parker article of that depth. I had a bunch of Canadian Sheaffers and have chatted at length about 'em with fellow Sheafferers for years. The Parker tweaks are of lesser degree both in depth and breadth. Or, my awareness of them is of lesser degree. Images less dramatic too. Different imprints. Different timing for blue diamond. Some weirdness to second tier pens (while I don't have many on hand). Would be a different sort of article.

regards

d

Posted Image

#12 John Jenkins

John Jenkins

journeyman

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • LocationDallas

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:05 PM

Keep in mind our usage of "Premiere" and "Moderne" for the flat end "Thrift" pens comes from the appearance of those names on Canadian versions of those pens, as the USA made examples are nameless. I've have some very odd Canadian Challengers, and have toothbrush Duofolds carrying "Parker Victory" imprints. I have vague recollection of some of the Challenger-like "Thrift" pens carrying "Premiere" label, but not certain.

We should collate data on mutant Canadian Parkers. Heck if some dabbler at Sheaffers can write Septuagenarian Mutant Canadian Sheaffers for PENnant Magazine, gathering some info on Canadian Parkers should be possible ;)

-d

Considering all the variants we've seen, it might be a three part article.

I've an identical full size imprinted Premiere and a slender imprinted Moderne. Makes sense in a Canuck kinda way.

JJ
The poster formerely known as Buzz J

#13 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

Considering all the variants we've seen, it might be a three part article.

I've an identical full size imprinted Premiere and a slender imprinted Moderne. Makes sense in a Canuck kinda way.

JJ

I should have mentioned it for those unfamiliar, but the OP's pen when found with standerd USA model imprint is a Parker Deluxe Challenger.

There is some sense to the Canadian pens being Premiere (large) and Moderne (small) for re-labeled (or differently labeled) Deluxe Challenger. Premiere and Moderne were Canadian names for otherwise nameless USA Pens that appeared in 1932. Such pens continued in USA to 1936? Could they have ended a bit earlier in Canada such that by 1935 the name was free for use on Deluxe Challengers that (perhaps) were never sold as Deluxe CHallenger in Canada? Or parallel use for niche markets?

regards

d

Posted Image

#14 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

I should have mentioned it for those unfamiliar, but the OP's pen when found with standerd USA model imprint is a Parker Deluxe Challenger.

{SNIP}

Could they have ended a bit earlier in Canada such that by 1935 the name was free for use on Deluxe Challengers that (perhaps) were never sold as Deluxe Challenger in Canada?

That's an interesting thought, David. I've never seen a Deluxe Challenger with a Made in Canada imprint. Note that I have not seen a whole lot of Challengers, so it's not saying much that I haven't seen one. I wonder if they were ever sold as such?

Though it would be strange if they had regular Challengers and Royal Challengers but no pen stamped Deluxe Challenger...

Edited by BrianMcQueen, 05 June 2012 - 02:39 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users