Photo

Some Pen Guys dont like to talk to others in the hobby...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:02 PM

So i was talking to a certain pen repairer, one who has very rare pens ever month, and i was refereed to im by another pen person as he'd be able to do it. Lets just say the pen i need is very,very,very small and needs a new cap (there's a crack) a section, and feed. Well after a half dozen emails from the both of us, he stated a price which was just under $1000, which as a teenager wont be able to afford, and had this too say; "I now have an hour of my time into the job, going back and forth with the machinist and between you and I. I had estimated a total of about 1.5 hours of my time for the job (email exchange; receiving the pen; bringing it to the machinist; providing detailed instructions; answering his questions along the way; picking it up; calculating shipping and insurance costs; billing; PayPal or credit card fees; accounting activities; packing; getting the package to the shipping carrier). Because I didn't anticipate the breadth of email exchanges in which we would engage, the estimate of the time I would personally spend is already low."

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:18 PM

So i was talking to a certain pen repairer, one who has very rare pens ever month, and i was refereed to im by another pen person as he'd be able to do it. Lets just say the pen i need is very,very,very small and needs a new cap (there's a crack) a section, and feed. Well after a half dozen emails from the both of us, he stated a price which was just under $1000, which as a teenager wont be able to afford, and had this too say; "I now have an hour of my time into the job, going back and forth with the machinist and between you and I. I had estimated a total of about 1.5 hours of my time for the job (email exchange; receiving the pen; bringing it to the machinist; providing detailed instructions; answering his questions along the way; picking it up; calculating shipping and insurance costs; billing; PayPal or credit card fees; accounting activities; packing; getting the package to the shipping carrier). Because I didn't anticipate the breadth of email exchanges in which we would engage, the estimate of the time I would personally spend is already low."

Hi Brandon,

I'm not sure I follow. The cost of the repair is $1000? This was expected or unexpected? The restorer noted longer email time to explain cost?

I cannot comment as I'm not sure what is the comment or question. I might be missing it...

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:02 PM

David,

It was just a bit under $1000, and i was quoted $60 an hour from my previous restorer, the restorer, and than this certain restorer states a $100 an hour charge. Well 8 or 9 hours to turn a cap, section, and feed on a doll pen? Thats quite extensive...

It was when i read his email, i felt like he wasn't interested in emailing me back and forth and i think he felt that it was a waste of time or something.

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:05 PM

David,

It was just a bit under $1000, and i was quoted $60 an hour from my previous restorer, the restorer, and than this certain restorer states a $100 an hour charge. Well 8 or 9 hours to turn a cap, section, and feed on a doll pen? Thats quite extensive...

It was when i read his email, i felt like he wasn't interested in emailing me back and forth and i think he felt that it was a waste of time or something.

I haven't handled pen and certainly don't want to know names. There are different approaches to different problems and folks have the right to charge as they will, but I do suspect you can get this done for far less. Might be good to ask for pen back, take deep breath, and consider future approach. There is plenty of time to fix a pen later.

regards

d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#5 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:26 PM

Thanks David,

I haven't send the pen out yet, but ill definitely call around. And other well known people who can machine BHR parts? Im not sure if Richard Binder can? Can he? (I know he's semi-retired)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users