Photo

Heath Overlay's: Parker and Edward Todd & Co?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:27 PM

I found a Edward Todd & Co. ringtop, that i must say looks like the same overlay as a Parker Lucky Curve. Did the overlay company also make overlay's for Edward Todd & Co. who made the one's for Parker?

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:16 PM

I found a Edward Todd & Co. ringtop, that i must say looks like the same overlay as a Parker Lucky Curve. Did the overlay company also make overlay's for Edward Todd & Co. who made the one's for Parker?

Hi Brandon,

Not my core focus, though Heath did make overlays for more than one company and iirc released some under own name.

Most of the metal Edward Todd pens I've seen seem to be metal barrel and cap, threaded items, not early rubber slip caps similar to early Parker Heath-overlay pens. I might simply have never noticed earlier E. Todd pens though. Do share images.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:34 PM

David,

This was the pen i was looking at. Im not bidding any more, but i must say, this screams early Parker overlay to me. I know the nib says Edward Todd & Co, but it's not uncommon for the nibs to be replaced. Is this just a great looking overlay pen, or is it in fact a Heath overlay, or Parker pen?

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1435.l2649

Edited by brando090, 30 June 2012 - 05:47 AM.

#4 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:48 PM

Actually, what it screams is "Edward Todd".

Closest comparables are Swans and Bostons.

Still much research to be done regarding who supplied metal overlays to which penmakers, as well as which penmakers did their overlay-making in-house.

#5 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:29 AM

Thanks David,

Great patina on the pen.

#6 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:15 AM

David,

This was the pen i was looking at. Im not bidding any more, but i must say, this screams early Parker overlay to me. I know the nib says Edward Todd & Co, but it's not uncommon for the nibs to be replaced. Is this just a great looking overlay pen, or is it in fact a Heath overlay, or Parker pen?

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1435.l2649

There's some similarity in the leaf pattern to the Parker 14, but that's not really saying much. Most of the overlay pens made in that era looked pretty similar.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users