10 replies to this topic

#1 Jiffypens

Jiffypens

journeyman

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:42 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...c#ht_500wt_1413

I was tempted to buy this pen, the price was very reasonable. However those $350 can go towards something I don't have already, congrats to the winner though! Posted Image

#2 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:50 PM

Pretty nice, too plain for me though. What is it, a $800 MSRP pen?

#3 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:10 PM

I was tempted to buy this pen, the price was very reasonable. However those $350 can go towards something I don't have already, congrats to the winner though! Posted Image

It didn't hit ebay as a BIN, but it looks like Bob Novak made the guy an offer and he took it. Too bad, as I was going to bid on that pen and willing to go a little more. It's a nice pen, and IMHO much more scarce than Black Giants.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#4 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:05 PM

It didn't hit ebay as a BIN, but it looks like Bob Novak made the guy an offer and he took it. Too bad, as I was going to bid on that pen and willing to go a little more. It's a nice pen, and IMHO much more scarce than Black Giants.

I dont have nearly as much experience is Parker than i do Waterman. Aren't the beautiful overlay Parkers worth more? John, do you like these black pens B) What makes these more collectable than others? I know the gold band adds some value, and anything on a particular year that makes it special?

#5 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:37 PM

Aren't the beautiful overlay Parkers worth more?

As is usually the case, the answer is "it depends". In a lot of cases, Parkers with overlays have a higher value than non-overlay pens. But this all ties back to relative scarcity. The non-overlay pens were generally less expensive to buy when new, so more of them were made and sold into the market. But some overlays are fairly common, such as the Model 16 with gold-filled fillagree overlay. I can buy five of them for the price of a Black Giant, a black hard rubber pen. While that sounds like an unfair comparison, generally Model 16s are worth less than a BHR model 20 click-filler. Again, it's all about relative scarcity.

John, do you like these black pens B) What makes these more collectable than others? I know the gold band adds some value, and anything on a particular year that makes it special?

I can't answer your question on what makes them more or less collectable than others. Why are there so many Duofold collectors, which are much more common pens than the earlier BHR pens and the overlays? It's just what strikes your fancy.

Do I like the black hard rubber pens? Hum, let's see....take a look below. This will do for a start. Stand back. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

#6 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:27 AM

Aren't the beautiful overlay Parkers worth more?

As is usually the case, the answer is "it depends". In a lot of cases, Parkers with overlays have a higher value than non-overlay pens. But this all ties back to relative scarcity. The non-overlay pens were generally less expensive to buy when new, so more of them were made and sold into the market. But some overlays are fairly common, such as the Model 16 with gold-filled fillagree overlay. I can buy five of them for the price of a Black Giant, a black hard rubber pen. While that sounds like an unfair comparison, generally Model 16s are worth less than a BHR model 20 click-filler. Again, it's all about relative scarcity.

John, do you like these black pens B) What makes these more collectable than others? I know the gold band adds some value, and anything on a particular year that makes it special?

I can't answer your question on what makes them more or less collectable than others. Why are there so many Duofold collectors, which are much more common pens than the earlier BHR pens and the overlays? It's just what strikes your fancy.

Do I like the black hard rubber pens? Hum, let's see....take a look below. This will do for a start. Stand back. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice collection John! I must say, they dont spark my fancy, so disrespect to you.

#7 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for showing these, John. I just adore HR pens! My first one was a clipless #20 Jack-Knife Safety, and I'll be enamored for life.

Tim
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#8 Marsilius

Marsilius

journeyman

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

One word: Oooooooooooooh!
I love BHR and BCHR pens, too, including the aroma.

#9 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:23 AM

I like early parker pens as well. I think the BHR pens don't get as much recognition. I like the baby JKS's and Black Giants, and the occasional 28. My collection seemed to get some overlay and some pens that have red streaks in them lately, not sure how that happened, but I guess they get to stay.

John, what's the emblem, on top of the duofold looking pen, it has a crown and a cross? forgive my lack of knowledge.

#10 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:26 AM

John, what's the emblem, on top of the duofold looking pen, it has a crown and a cross? forgive my lack of knowledge.

Rick, no need to apologize. It took me a while to track it down when I initially got the pen. The emblem is the insignia of the Knights Templar. I thought that was cool, with the way that Hollywood keeps using them as some mysterious order of people.I ran into one more of these about a year or 18 months ago, being sold by Gary Lehrer. I thought about buying it but figured that I would save the money, since I already had one.

Speaking of insignia, and since you brought up the Jack Knife baby model, check out the one below (sorry to hijack the thread a little):

Posted Image

Since my photo is so crappy (need to take a new one sometime), here's a true rendition of the insignia that's on the pen:

Posted Image

I've run into three of these pens in the last few years, including this one. One other is still for sale on David Nishimura's website (his has a cap lip crack he notes as being caused by the addition of the insignia, while mine does not have a crack). The insignia is that of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon, or SAE, fraternity. Since there seem to be some number of these that were made, I still have it on my list to research why they were made and if the fraternity ordered them directly from Parker. They're based near me in Evanston, Illinois so I'll need to go over there one day and talk to them about it.

John Danza

#11 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:37 AM

I like early parker pens as well. I think the BHR pens don't get as much recognition. I like the baby JKS's and Black Giants, and the occasional 28. My collection seemed to get some overlay and some pens that have red streaks in them lately, not sure how that happened, but I guess they get to stay.

Care to elaborate on that overlay with the red streak...B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users