• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Marsilius

Marsilius

journeyman

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:04 PM

Since I am new here, I figured I would take a photo of (most of) the vintage pens I have collected over the last six years since I started collecting.
Best I could do at a photo, but hopefully you'll get the idea. (Let me know if I need to put them in the gallery differently!)
I laughed when I saw that some of you guys haul this in a weekend, but in the spirit of joining in the fun as one of your less advanced (loopy?) members.
I got most of these on the ebay, or at The Fountain Pen Shop in Monrovia, where my "day-off" therapy includes looking at pens and talking to Fred and his folks.

They include:
The BCHR and RHR are Golden Rule (I love these pens, and their motto is "Serves You Write"), Waterman, Moore, and Salz.
The Big Red Knock-Offfs are no-name, slightly leaky, and but have nice nibs. One is named: "Master Craftsman."
I have a few lovely Swans, and always wish for more.
If I were headed to purgatory, I would take my Parker Vacs and "51" with me.
Love the Skylines and Shaeffers, too.
The other third and fourth tier pens are there because they had nice nibs or were penny-ante gambles.

Oops (I figured out how to put this on the Gallery, too!)

Thanks for looking!
Mars

Attached Files

• Attached File  Pens.jpg   481.99KB   63 downloads

Edited by Marsilius, 03 July 2012 - 05:12 PM.

#2 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

Nice, Mars! Looks like we share many of the same tastes. Thanks for sharing.

Tim
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#3 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

Mars,

Im guessing you dont like Esterbrook's? I like the hammered cap P51.

#4 Marsilius

Marsilius

journeyman

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

Mars,

O, I love my Esties, and think they have one of the prettiest designs, but they don't get so much use anymore.
The "51" is the latest purchase, for $45.00. Fred Krinke kindly cut the new diaphragm for me, because the person who "restored" it put in a diaphragm as long as an eel.
But it is a smooth medium nib.
Best,
Mars

#5 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:01 PM

Mars,

O, I love my Esties, and think they have one of the prettiest designs, but they don't get so much use anymore.
The "51" is the latest purchase, for $45.00. Fred Krinke kindly cut the new diaphragm for me, because the person who "restored" it put in a diaphragm as long as an eel.
But it is a smooth medium nib.
Best,
Mars

Congrats on the purchase!

#6 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • LocationPenguin, NW Tasmania, AUSTRALIA

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:34 AM

G'day Mars :)

Thanks for sharing your collection.
I have two questions:
  • are the drawings yours? If so, very nice indeed.
  • is the dip pen with the MOP handle at the bottom [front[ of the photo a Foley's?
Respectfully

Garth
Penguin, NW Tasmania, Australia

We will be forever known by the tracks we leave behind - Sitting Bull

#7 Marsilius

Marsilius

journeyman

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:19 AM

I have two questions:

• is the dip pen with the MOP handle at the bottom [front[ of the photo a Foley's?
Respectfully

Hi Garth,

That dip pen is a Mabie Todd and Co. New York #3 (The lone nib next to it is a Warranted one I just got on a broken "Controlor" Pen from Germany. One Pound for the pen, Five for shipping!)

Thank you for the compliment on my sketches. I started getting flexible nibs to let off steam from work by drawing pictures, which I used to do all the time, and now am starting again. Those are on folded Fabriano Watercolor paper, with the idea of sending them as cards. If you like, I would be happy to send you one with a note inside (or not). I'd be famous Down Under! (insert appropriately exuberant emoticon and quote from Muriel's Wedding here.)

Best wishes,
Mars

#8 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:01 AM

I have two questions:

Respectfully

Hi Garth,

That dip pen is a Mabie Todd and Co. New York #3 (The lone nib next to it is a Warranted one I just got on a broken "Controlor" Pen from Germany. One Pound for the pen, Five for shipping!)

Thank you for the compliment on my sketches. I started getting flexible nibs to let off steam from work by drawing pictures, which I used to do all the time, and now am starting again. Those are on folded Fabriano Watercolor paper, with the idea of sending them as cards. If you like, I would be happy to send you one with a note inside (or not). I'd be famous Down Under! (insert appropriately exuberant emoticon and quote from Muriel's Wedding here.)

Best wishes,
Mars

I also love the sketches, i din't know they were yours, but thanks for explaining. They are good enough that you should a limited edition set of 100 or something.

#9 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • LocationPenguin, NW Tasmania, AUSTRALIA

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:13 AM

I have two questions:

Respectfully

Hi Garth,

Best wishes,
Mars

Hi Mars :)

I haven't seen Muriel's Wedding - or many movies for that matter - but like the Aussie connection.
I would be humbled to receive a sketch if you feel that way inclined.

Please contact me 'back channel' if you wish to do so.
Garth
Penguin, NW Tasmania, Australia

We will be forever known by the tracks we leave behind - Sitting Bull

#10 Marsilius

Marsilius

journeyman

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:37 AM

1341381669[/url]' post='15888']

1341379159[/url]' post='15885']

1341362084[/url]' post='15874']

I have two questions:

Respectfully

Hi Garth,

Best wishes,
Mars

I also love the sketches, i din't know they were yours, but thanks for explaining. They are good enough that you should a limited edition set of 100 or something.

My ego came to the right place! Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users