• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:00 PM

Just got this pen in, and i learned before receiving this pen that 52 (1/2's) with overlays were overseas overlays, and obviously weren't put on when there were made here in the USA. But my question is, what's up with the two 00's above the number? That makes it very strange, and definitely now the same number size as the comparable 0552 1/2, American made Pansy overlay.

https://picasaweb.go...sRgCPHRjfionqJY

#2 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:53 AM

Why do you think this is a non-USA Waterman? (I assume you are talking about the smooth overlay, second from the right).

From what I can see, this is a not-uncommon instance of a counterstamped barrel, originally stamped "52 1/2", but with "05" added above by way of a prefix.

Export Waterman overlays normally never had any prefix in the hundreds or thousands place.

#3 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:01 AM

Yes, yes... forgot to mention the Waterman im mentioning is the second pen to the right.

The reason i believe it is/was an exported Waterman is because it says 52 1/2 on the bottom, which i found, with an overlay (which this one has) it would make it an exported Waterman. What ive never seen, was the two oddly shaped 0's (ovals) above the number, which is bigger than usual.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users