#1 plmadding

plmadding

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationWichita, KS

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:44 PM

Hi Gang,

I was repairing a Commando and after I pulled the nib and feed, I noticed on the back of the nib it was stamped 18K. It is a keyhole Manifold nib of USA manufacture. I thought it was a little different because I don't recall seeing 18k USA manufacture nibs from any company. I am curious as to why it is 18k instead of the standard 14k.

#2 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:12 AM

18k nibs are far less common than there 14k counterparts. As ive looked at some Command's, they all carry different type nibs, so im not sure what version/type nib you have. Anyways, great nib, and worth a few hundred dollars, much more than there standard 14k counterparts.

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:45 AM

Hi Gang,

I was repairing a Commando and after I pulled the nib and feed, I noticed on the back of the nib it was stamped 18K. It is a keyhole Manifold nib of USA manufacture. I thought it was a little different because I don't recall seeing 18k USA manufacture nibs from any company. I am curious as to why it is 18k instead of the standard 14k.

With some 1930's-1940's pens, such as Parker Vacumatic, there is proof for the following. For other series.. nnot.

But, general belief is that off-catalogue 18k versions of typically 14k nibs targeted the French market, which reportedly required 18k if something was to be called solid gold.

regards

d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users