• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:22 AM

To steal a comment from David I., this is a "Happy John" moment. This is the latest addition to my collection. I don't know what dynamics come together to keep a pen new in the box for 90+ years, but here we have one.

The pen below is a new-in-the-box Jack Knife Safety model 23-1/2 Short. As you'll see from the photos below, this thing is absolutely without any signs of wear or use, beyond a little ink on the mouth of the section that may have come from being dipped. The price sticker is milky white and there's not a hint of oxydation in the color of the hard rubber. The imprints are completely unworn and still show the tiny edges of displaced material from the stamping of the imprint. There's not a bit of wear in the plating of the clip, although there's a small area at the bend from the clip to the ring where the plating has pealed off. Clearly the pen spent its entire life in the box to prevent any exposure to light.

The box itself is also near perfect, with only minor chipping of the paper cover but no drawer wear. The instruction sheet is still folded up within the box and there's a bit of discoloration in a couple of areas, but generally it's as new. Essentially, this is what you would have saw if you walked into a stationery store in 1920 and wanted to buy this pen.

As odd that it is that it has survived this long in pristine condition, it's odder still that this pen was personalized! There's a letter "H" imprinted in the top of the clip/inner cap screw. The initial is consistent with lettering shown in Parker's 1918 catalog. I'm not sure what would have led someone to have a pen personalized and then never take it out of the box, or for a store to have one personalized like this expecting to be able to sell it to someone. But there it is.

As I said, it's "Happy John".

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#2 Dan in NYC

Dan in NYC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:47 AM

John,

Beautiful, what a find. I get excited when I find a 231/2 in any condition to add to my collection. Thanks for showing it, this is the first time that I saw how such pen looked like as new. What is the "H" on the cap?

Dan

#3 Marsilius

Marsilius

journeyman

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:20 AM

Wow! A look don't touch pen? Beautiful.

#4 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:30 AM

What is the "H" on the cap?

I think it's just an initial, not an insignia of any kind.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#5 Rockyrod

Rockyrod

journeyman

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:41 AM

Congrats John. I was hoping it was someone from here that took that beauty home.

Rod R.
USAF, Ret.

#6 John Jenkins

John Jenkins

journeyman

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • LocationDallas

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

Wow is that thing crisp! And for crying out loud, the box is a gem all by itself. I actually think the initial makes it more desirable.

John, what a great find. I'm glad it fell into your hands. There may be more like this in the hands of old time collectors, but for guys like us that are late to the party, it's quite an addition. Congrats!
John
The poster formerely known as Buzz J

#7 Euro Vintage

Euro Vintage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:35 AM

Amazing find !

Hard to imagine such a pen does exist at all.

Would be another few long years before another similar pen, if ever, comes up in such a pristine condition (look at the BHCR - still sharply defined)

Enjoy !

Tri

#8 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:17 AM

Thant is M-I-N-T!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users