• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:08 PM

Im wondering what Sheaffer these are... im thinking a Triumph, but i cant find much on the striated green/gray model.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

Im wondering what Sheaffer these are... im thinking a Triumph, but i cant find much on the striated green/gray model.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hi,

At top, gray 1942-5 "Triumph" Pencil. "Triumph" Tuckaway pen.

Below a green 1945-1947-ish bead band post war pen, but need bit more material to ID

d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:27 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hi,

At top, gray 1942-5 "Triumph" Pencil. "Triumph" Tuckaway pen.

Below a green 1945-1947-ish bead band post war pen, but need bit more material to ID

d

Ill get a few more pictures, but that Tuckaway set, is market pretty much at value at $125? Are the bands aluminum or silver?

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

Ill get a few more pictures, but that Tuckaway set, is market pretty much at value at $125? Are the bands aluminum or silver?

Not a set. Tuckaway Triumph pen. Non-Tuckaway Triumph pencil. Restoration $40. Some don't survive. Gray tends to have pitted trim, unfixable really, unless pen carefully selected not to have said flaw. A gem restored set can cost more. I would pay nowhere near this for raw unrestored.

regards

d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#5 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:59 PM

Not a set. Tuckaway Triumph pen. Non-Tuckaway Triumph pencil. Restoration $40. Some don't survive. Gray tends to have pitted trim, unfixable really, unless pen carefully selected not to have said flaw. A gem restored set can cost more. I would pay nowhere near this for raw unrestored.

regards

d

Ok, so the pen is maybe worth $40-80? Restored at retail would be $250?

#6 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:12 PM

Here are pictures of the bead band pen...

Posted Image

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:20 PM

Ok, so the pen is maybe worth $40-80? Restored at retail would be $250?

I've watched Ebay and pen shows > 10 years. None of these ever has hit $250 even in gem condition, though if I (I am working on the world's largest offering of restored 1940's pens) had, I guess, a mint or stickered set, better than about any that has ever traded hands publicly, restored, I might charge that for a pen.

Then we have non-retail, non restored and... trim... how grand is the trim? Really? If the pen is intact with tolerable trim and you get it $40 and it survives $40 plunger fill restoration, you would have it for under the cost of restored/retail/true-excellent, no doubt.

Green pen looks to be a bead band Admiral. Something looks wrong with it. Displaced section ring?

d

Posted Image

#8 wekiva98

wekiva98

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:20 PM

The green pen also has had the clip broken off. You can do better.... let these pass.

#9 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:53 AM

The green stripe Craftsman (if a 33 nib) is missing the clip and the section has either shrunk a bit or the cap has been jerked off, pulling the thread ring forward. The Craftsman has a solid mounted clip, so there is a chunk of the cap missing, not just the clip. These show up on ebay periodically in much better condition.

Edited by matt, 01 August 2012 - 12:55 AM.

#10 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:50 AM

The green stripe Craftsman (if a 33 nib) is missing the clip and the section has either shrunk a bit or the cap has been jerked off, pulling the thread ring forward. The Craftsman has a solid mounted clip, so there is a chunk of the cap missing, not just the clip. These show up on ebay periodically in much better condition.

Thanks guys, so this Craftsman, is a no go, but the other is a yes...

#11 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:08 PM

You seem really intent on buying that Tucky, Brandon. It also sounds as if you're thinking in terms of potential resale value after restoration. If the pen is already restored and in nice condition and ready to use, then that may be a fair price. If it's unrestored it is definitely overpriced. If you really like the pen and can stand to wait, you may well find a better deal eventually. If you just can't be patient (and we've all been there), at least try to talk the seller down a bit. Since the pen and pencil are not a set, the pencil really adds no value to the pen.

The Craftsman is a parts pen.

Good luck!

Tim
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#12 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:58 PM

You seem really intent on buying that Tucky, Brandon. It also sounds as if you're thinking in terms of potential resale value after restoration. If the pen is already restored and in nice condition and ready to use, then that may be a fair price. If it's unrestored it is definitely overpriced. If you really like the pen and can stand to wait, you may well find a better deal eventually. If you just can't be patient (and we've all been there), at least try to talk the seller down a bit. Since the pen and pencil are not a set, the pencil really adds no value to the pen.

The Craftsman is a parts pen.

Good luck!

Tim

Thanks Tim,

Ive only owned one Sheaffer, which i really loved, it was a grey striated Jr. Not a valuable pen by any means, but i love the material, and would love to acquire another pen with the same material. My dream Sheaffer would be a silver first year Crest, but im not sure when ill find one at a deal :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users