Photo

Hoarding vs Collecting. The fine line...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:50 PM

Interesting article at ABC News. Not "scientific" but most of us might relate to the anecdote.

We've seen of late the "Hoarders" shows on TV. How close comes passionate collecting?

Let's see...

Collecting vs Hoarding ABC News Link

Marilyn Mansfield, a sometimes model and mother of three, loves to cradle her new babies, supporting their heads and holding them close to her maternal bosom -- all 500 of them.

The Staten Island, N.Y., 33-year-old collects custom-made dolls that cost as much as $1,000 each. One even has birth marks and spit bubbles, and the latest lifelike doll even breathes.

"I like flaws on my babies," says Mansfield in a new documentary, "My Collection Obsession," which airs on Sunday, Aug. 21 on TLC at 10 p.m. "Humans are not perfect."

Mansfield's dolls fill her three-bedroom apartment on shelves and in their little seats and cradles.

"They all have their place," she said.

She has even discussed her last wishes with her husband if she should die.

"My daughter has told me which ones she would want and two or three I want to go with friends," Mansfield said. "I know this sounds morbid, but I would definitely like to be buried with them."

Mansfield is one of three other collectors who have taken their hobbies to extremes. Darlene has 15,000 shoe-related memorabilia. Kyle, who is only 16, has been obsessed with vacuum cleaners since he was only a toddler.

Harrell and Patric's 2,500-square-foot home is an homage to Dolly Parton,

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:25 PM

David;

Wow, what freaks! Thank goodness we are normal.

Roger W.

#3 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:33 AM

Hey, at least we're organized when it comes to pens Posted Image

#4 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:31 AM

I've been collecting the lines used to separate hoarders from collectors for about 12 years now. I may have to add another room on to the house, because you can only store so many lines in one place. Even when they are fine lines, sometimes the length becomes an issue.

Edited by JonSzanto, 05 August 2012 - 07:32 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users