• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:58 PM

I watched this auction because the photos of the Lucky Curve nib had me intrigued. All the description said was "Lucky Curve nib", but from the photos, I thought this might be a pretty special nib. It looked like a big nib. I've copied a couple of the original auction photos below to keep this topic whole after the ebay photos go away. There was a Moore safety pen in the auction as well, which I know nothing about and will have to research (if anyone knows something on these pens, I would love to hear about it).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The box arrived today and I could tell from looking at the nib in the dip pen holder that it was definitely big. The only question was "what is the number" From the auction photos I thought it might be a Lucky Curve 8 from the Model 28 pens, but the look in person really made me think this was a Lucky Curve 12 from the Black Giant. I pulled it from the holder and here's what I found:

Posted Image

It's great that this is a Lucky Curve 8 nib, as they're pretty darn tough to find and worth probably 2.5-3 times what I paid for the auction. While it would have been fantastic if it has been a Lucky Curve 12, I don't want to sound like a schmuck. I'll probably move this along instead of waiting to find a Model 28 that needs a nib, but it's cool to have a "shot in the dark" auction work out for a change.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#2 Mike Kirk

Mike Kirk

journeyman

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationWixom, Michigan

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:00 AM

Nice job, John! Sharp eye. More proof that there's still lots of gems for a song out there. Where's the happy dance icon.....

Mike Kirk

(~==]=====]]
Penfindum Restorum

Memberpca_logo100x100_zps688ac2a8.png NAWCCLogo_zps4a922f0b.jpg

#3 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:06 AM

Nice job, John! Sharp eye. More proof that there's still lots of gems for a song out there. Where's the happy dance icon.....

x2, and your in MI (same with me)!!!! Let's just say, i bought a VERY special Waterman 12 which ill make a thread when it arrives...

#4 ljwahl

ljwahl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:35 PM

Hi John:

Excellent find on that nib!

As to the Moore, they're pretty neat; I've been hunting one for some time just to have a "type" representative. David N. has a nice profile of them on his site:
http://www.vintagepe..._safeties.shtml

Again-- nice find!

#5 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:07 PM

I adore my Moore's Non-Leakable and am really looking forward to the next one I score. Too bad the cap's missing on that one. The American Fountain Pen Company imprint on the nib is correct for the pen. American changed it's name to Moore after the success of this design.

That Lucky Curve 8 is really something. It always seems a bit incongruous to me to a huge nib with a tiny little point... sorta like when Mike Tyson speaks, I guess. That one looks to be flexy though. I'd certainly enjoy writing with it. Great catch, John!

Tim
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#6 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:27 PM

Congratulations, John! I saw the auction and thought the nib looked big myself, but I wasn't as sure as you that it was, so I didn't bid. I guess I've been bitten a couple times on luck-of-the-draw type auctions...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users