• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jiffypens

Jiffypens

journeyman

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:04 AM

Look at the sterling 51, I thought those pens had early style clips?
http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f1ac220b3

#2 Baz666

Baz666

journeyman

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:33 AM

Hi,

Don't know if the clip in this pic is original to the cap, however, P51 clips are not that difficult to interchange.

Paul.

#3 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:33 AM

After alot of looking, im also not 100% on that P51. Looking at some sites, and finding a few pens similar (not the same) im lead to believe its an English P51 Aerometric.

Edited by brando090, 07 August 2012 - 02:34 AM.

#4 Baz666

Baz666

journeyman

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:43 AM

After alot of looking, im also not 100% on that P51. Looking at some sites, and finding a few pens similar (not the same) im lead to believe its an English P51 Aerometric.

I will put a pound on that its a P51 vac ;)

#5 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:50 AM

True, ill have to do a bit more looking, or maybe David N. or I. can chime in...

#6 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:55 AM

I have no clue on the pen, i dont want to jump to conclusions, but frankenpen?

#7 Old Griz

Old Griz

journeyman

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • LocationHagerstown, MD

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:52 AM

I have no clue on the pen, i dont want to jump to conclusions, but frankenpen?

Changing the clip on a Parker 51 does not make it a frankenpen....
As stated above clips are easy to change and at some point the original clip may have been damaged and this clip put on as a replacement..
Remember that these pens were not produced as collectors items but to be used and therefore the average user cared more for it being functional
Tom
Posted Image
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.

#8 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

What looks really interesting to me is the Sheaffer Sentinel minding it's own business between the two 51s. Anyone care to speculate why?

Tim
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#9 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:23 PM

Hi,

As with many bits of jargon in our hobby, 'Frankenpen"can be fuzzy at the edges. There are solid examples and borderline examples. To degree this appears to have late feather clip instead of blue diamond clip, to me it gets into the frankepen zone. In 1947 feather clips started popping up. For full size pens it might be 1948 for regular usage. I'm not clear that exact date has been pinned down. Caps with deco-bands at bottom seem to me to be early style caps, but I don't have proof a sterling cap with <<>><<>> pattern at bottom was not made in1 948. Indeed, I"m unsure anyone has ever dated all the cap-styles... or could do so with currently available Parker literature. Even Ernesto's great cite, beyond "first year" caps and a couple special patterns, iirc does not offer dates for all of them. Barrel imprints are little help, since caps are readily swappable.

Offhand, having handled zillions of 51's, but not having studied them with the intensity shown by their most passionate aficionados, I've not seen sterling cap with band at bottom show up with feather clip rather than BD clip. I'm... suspicious. That said, finding a BD clip if this pen were something special or were a great bargain is not the hardest task. Find a parts-pen lustraloy cap dinged up in common color bought (presumably) cheaply enough that the nib and jewel is worth price of entry, and harvest the clip. Save the feather clip for another pen

regards

d.
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#10 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:13 PM

I'm going to echo what David is proposing and that this is a late style (short) feather clip on a cap that should have a BD clip. Simply swap the clip as Tom indicates. If you have access to the parts (Ernesto has or had NOS BD clips for 35 each) making the switch and a 'correct' pen is simple.

T

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users