10 replies to this topic

#1 Frank(Federalist Pens)

Frank(Federalist Pens)

journeyman

• Members
  • 436 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey (USA)

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:22 AM

Well, I am attempting my first Balance repair! This is a "Tucky" Conical nib model- It has what I can describe as an "inner barrel". I have not seen this type on any Youtube demo, nor any reference page relating to these pen types! (see pics)

[attachment=648:SANY3223.JPG][attachment=647:SANY3222.JPG][attachment=649:SANY3224.JPG]

I want to know if I am missing something here, as in "Is it easier than it looks?". I do not see a seam in this inner barrel; I do not believe that it opens anywhere for ease of access. Also, does the nib unscrew from the feed, as many of the triumph nibs do?

Let me know if this is an easy fix, or should I pack it for a DC Show Repair?? :-)

Frank

"When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"  (Federalist Frank)

We sell quality, known brands at reasonable prices!!

(Use forum code "FPC" to receive an additional discount of 5%!)

http://www.federalistpensonline.com (Online Pen Store)

Like Us on Facebook!

Follow our Group(s) at Linked-In!

#2 Jim B

Jim B

journeyman

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:42 AM

These pens are definately NOT for the beginner to fix. The inner celluloid tube is permanently affixed to the back of the section. The conical nib unit does screw out but usually one needs a special tool to safely remove it.

I personally would suggest you take it to DC and give it to a repairman to do.

#3 Frank(Federalist Pens)

Frank(Federalist Pens)

journeyman

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

These pens are definately NOT for the beginner to fix. The inner celluloid tube is permanently affixed to the back of the section. The conical nib unit does screw out but usually one needs a special tool to safely remove it.

I personally would suggest you take it to DC and give it to a repairman to do.

Thanks Jim!

Frank

"When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"  (Federalist Frank)

Like Us on Facebook!

#4 plmadding

plmadding

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationWichita, KS

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

It is not easier than it looks, that is for sure.

#5 Dan in NYC

Dan in NYC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:06 AM

Also, does the nib unscrew from the feed, as many of the triumph nibs do?

Let me know if this is an easy fix, or should I pack it for a DC Show Repair?? :-)

Frank
[/quote]

No it is not easy, special tools are required to handle the Triumph nib. Some nibs were crimped to the sleeves other were threaded to the sleeves. Once the nib is removed from the sleeve it is almost impossible to aligned it properly. In addition You need parts to repair the vacuum filling system.

Ron Zorn does an excellent repair of these pens.

Dan

#6 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:12 AM

I just got some Sheaffer's repaired by Thomas Heath at penfancier1915@hotmail.com, and he only charged me $20-30 for each of my Sheaffers, so id say in that range for your pen.

#7 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:47 AM

Also, Gerry Berg seems to be a great guy with Triumphs. I got a pen from him recently, one which he removed the nib and had Greg Minuskin put a nice stub on it, and then Gerry finished the restore. It is one of my prized children!

#8 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

Well, I am attempting my first Balance repair! This is a "Tucky" Conical nib model- It has what I can describe as an "inner barrel". I have not seen this type on any Youtube demo, nor any reference page relating to these pen types! (see pics)

Frank

Frank, I'm in the same boat as you on these. I just can't find any reference on how these are repaired differently from the other vac-fils. I thought I had read once that it was possible to drill out the packing unit from the back instead of from inside the barrel, but I can't find that reference any more (assuming I wasn't making it up in the first place) I am trying to learn how to do vac-fil repairs myself, as I have several lying around waiting to become great pens again.

#9 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

Frank

Frank, I'm in the same boat as you on these. I just can't find any reference on how these are repaired differently from the other vac-fils. I thought I had read once that it was possible to drill out the packing unit from the back instead of from inside the barrel, but I can't find that reference any more (assuming I wasn't making it up in the first place) I am trying to learn how to do vac-fil repairs myself, as I have several lying around waiting to become great pens again.

Possibly Gerry Berg's PENnant article touched on that. Don't hold me to it.

You guys are getting PENnant right? You did see the Balance articles this and last issues, right?

d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#10 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

You guys are getting PENnant right? You did see the Balance articles this and last issues, right?

d

I am getting PENnant, but I haven't received this issue yet. Do you know which issue Gerry Berg's article was in? I plan on spending some time talking to him this weekend at the DC show. I understand he only lives about an hour away from me, too...

#11 Frank(Federalist Pens)

Frank(Federalist Pens)

journeyman

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

Frank

d

I did speak to Gerry at the DC show regarding the pen. He did instruct me on how to attempt to open it! I believe it was the same information he referenced in his article. It requires (three) days of soaking, along with some TLC trying to unscrew the nib! A drop of both ammonia and "Dawn" dish detergent was recommended to help loosen the "gunk"! Apply just a little heat after the soaking period to help!

You need to make sure both the nib and feed are turning at the same time when trying to open it! (Grab both with thumb and index finger- turn carefully) This will protect that "inner barrel" I was talking about! Continue "soak" process if it does not budge!

Hope that helps you guys!

:) Frank

Edited by Frank L, 12 August 2012 - 05:18 PM.

Like Us on Facebook!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users