• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:10 AM

I cant seem to find anything on my Waterman. It's a 0552 in uncommon smooth gold overlay, but im always seeing the 1/2 models, never the 0552 with smooth overlay. The pen i have is personalized, but what is a fair estimate? I was thinking $450, is this a little too high/optimistic?

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:31 AM

I cant seem to find anything on my Waterman. It's a 0552 in uncommon smooth gold overlay, but im always seeing the 1/2 models, never the 0552 with smooth overlay. The pen i have is personalized, but what is a fair estimate? I was thinking $450, is this a little too high/optimistic?

Offhand, seems high. Silver overlays tend to do better than gold-filled. This has been personalized. Condition will be key. I'd think a gem could get to that point retail. A non-gem non-retail... probably not. Others' views are invited.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:35 AM

I'm wondering: is it fair to ask for opinions on value without even the slightest mention of condition or - even better - photographic documentation of said object?

#4 Jim B

Jim B

journeyman

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:05 AM

I would concur. Bandying about prices without any linkage to condition serves only to muddy the value waters.Posted Image

#5 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

Posted Image

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:27 PM

Well, I suspect at $87, you have plenty of wiggle room. The clip is intact?

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#7 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:49 PM

-d

This is clipless...

#8 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:11 AM

-d

Don't forget the shipping charges.

How is the nib?

T

#9 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:08 AM

-d

How is the nib?

T

The nib is flexy, just a number 2 nib. What do you feel the value is, isn't the 0552 with smooth overlay pretty hard to come by...

#10 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:22 AM

The nib is flexy, just a number 2 nib. What do you feel the value is, isn't the 0552 with smooth overlay pretty hard to come by...

There are no holes in cap for clip, so we know its clipless, not just missing the clip (another kind of "clipless")?

Verbiage gets fuzzy with these pens. Any old pen from 1920 or so is not easy to come by, so being pretty hard to come by is a bit non-specific. I am amenable to input by those who play with overlay Watermans more than I do, but my view is that this is not a disproportionately rare pen. It lacks the cachet and rarity (those not being quite synonymous) of an Oriental overlay or the simple appeal of hand-engraved-vine. There is no doubt that smooth finishes show dings readily, so finding clean specimens has added challenge.

I suspect that the high end on retail from a trusted dealer who offers year warranty and who offers restored pen and after-sale service, who knows models and grading with great skill, for most pattern 0552 pens will range $400-600 for quite nice examples. I've seen collector trades at pen shows for decent examples outside the retail venue occur in the $250-350 range. Assuming your pen is proper and correct for all parts, assuming it survives restoration, assuming it never had a clip, assuming it is really is fairly clean (I'm not sure your grading skills are quite on level of long time retailers), I'd imagine you could sell it depending on venue between $150-300. No doubt anomalies occur and non-dealers can see a bidding frenzy on ebay with prices trumping "usual retail", but my gross assessment is as I've outlined. If pen is dinged up, has thread issues, has holes for a missing clip and so forth... price would drop.

regards

david

Posted Image

#11 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:08 AM

There are no holes in cap for clip, so we know its clipless, not just missing the clip (another kind of "clipless")?

Verbiage gets fuzzy with these pens. Any old pen from 1920 or so is not easy to come by, so being pretty hard to come by is a bit non-specific. I am amenable to input by those who play with overlay Watermans more than I do, but my view is that this is not a disproportionately rare pen. It lacks the cachet and rarity (those not being quite synonymous) of an Oriental overlay or the simple appeal of hand-engraved-vine. There is no doubt that smooth finishes show dings readily, so finding clean specimens has added challenge.

I suspect that the high end on retail from a trusted dealer who offers year warranty and who offers restored pen and after-sale service, who knows models and grading with great skill, for most pattern 0552 pens will range $400-600 for quite nice examples. I've seen collector trades at pen shows for decent examples outside the retail venue occur in the $250-350 range. Assuming your pen is proper and correct for all parts, assuming it survives restoration, assuming it never had a clip, assuming it is really is fairly clean (I'm not sure your grading skills are quite on level of long time retailers), I'd imagine you could sell it depending on venue between $150-300. No doubt anomalies occur and non-dealers can see a bidding frenzy on ebay with prices trumping "usual retail", but my gross assessment is as I've outlined. If pen is dinged up, has thread issues, has holes for a missing clip and so forth... price would drop.

regards

david

David,

Screw up on my part. The pen does have a clip, and i didn't even look at the pen when i stated that, i was thinking of another gold Waterman i have. But this particular pen does have a clip, and has 0 dents. And its perfect, no braising,etc.

#12 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:21 AM

-d

How is the nib?

T

If I were buying this pen sight unseen (think eBay) from an unestablished seller my maximum bid would be $95 +/- 15 depending on other deals in progress. I also asked for a picture of the nib.

Edited by FarmBoy, 16 August 2012 - 04:22 AM.

#13 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:26 AM

-d

How is the nib?

T

If I were buying this pen sight unseen (think eBay) from an unestablished seller my maximum bid would be $95 +/- 15 depending on other deals in progress. I also asked for a picture of the nib.

Understandable, i could easily put $25 into a repair, so the pen would definitely go much more.

#14 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:03 AM

Understandable, i could easily put $25 into a repair, so the pen would definitely go much more.

I do advise some caution regarding... absolutes.

Some nicely patterned 0552 have traded in the $100-200 range of late on ebay. Raw. LImited information. Uncertain condition. But... pretty patterns in the metal.

d

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users