Photo

Ebay Watch. Waterman 0552 (1/2?) Gold Filled Overlay.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:27 AM

Of late we've been discussing a couple of Waterman overlay pens from ~1920

Consider this one

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2c67797831

Opening price $565

Gothic pattern.

Name engraved.

"Very Good" condition is entire description.

Missing pen clip noted.

No returns allowed.

Do we really want to use this as a basis for "learning the market"?

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:07 AM

Just a guess,but I'm going with no.

#3 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:23 AM

Gee, I'm stumped. This is hard.

Ok:

Posted Image

#4 vintage penman

vintage penman

journeyman

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationCambrian Mountains - Wales

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:47 PM

OTT pricing.

#5 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:46 PM

I think that guy has listed it before, the price is 4x what they are going for, unless this guy has some magical pen reputation i dont know about. Edit: He does have several pens that i want though, so i dont know if i can say what i say.

Edited by brando090, 16 August 2012 - 07:48 PM.

#6 Jim B

Jim B

journeyman

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:06 PM

Apparantly some Argentinean with an inflationary view of worth.

#7 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:06 PM

Considerably overpriced, although I don't think it's 4X. Personally, I wouldn't be interested, even at a much lower price, because I don't think I am capable of repairing the riveted clip myself. Also, I don't like the style of the engraved initials. Sometimes, I don't mind these, when they seem to fit in with the pens design, but these do not.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#8 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:18 PM

Considerably overpriced, although I don't think it's 4X. Personally, I wouldn't be interested, even at a much lower price, because I don't think I am capable of repairing the riveted clip myself. Also, I don't like the style of the engraved initials. Sometimes, I don't mind these, when they seem to fit in with the pens design, but these do not.

I prefer by Waterman's in silver Posted Image But if i have the chance to get these for $60-150 than its a great deal, recently thought the prices for overlay Waterman's have been closer to the $200 range Posted Image

#9 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:28 PM

I prefer by Waterman's in silver Posted Image But if i have the chance to get these for $60-150 than its a great deal, recently thought the prices for overlay Waterman's have been closer to the $200 range Posted Image

Probably what is best is to avoid ambiguous generalities. Retail, restored, warrantied, truly excellent condition at a retail website where sales are done in patient fashion, will be different from unrestored, 1 week sales venue, blurry picture, no guarantee, no return option, incompetent (or malicious) grading skills, and so forth.

Ebay no doubt offers bargains to the skilled seasoned prudent collector. It also offers significant risk, especially to the less experienced players. By no means am I playing the "avoid ebay" card; that would be a bit hypocritical given that during the last few years there likely are very few on our planet who have bought more old pens on ebay than I have. But, again, I advise a measure of caution. Too, observing "the prices" for pens really requires putting the claimed prices in context.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#10 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:33 PM

Probably what is best is to avoid ambiguous generalities. Retail, restored, warrantied, truly excellent condition at a retail website where sales are done in patient fashion, will be different from unrestored, 1 week sales venue, blurry picture, no guarantee, no return option, incompetent (or malicious) grading skills, and so forth.

Ebay no doubt offers bargains to the skilled seasoned prudent collector. It also offers significant risk, especially to the less experienced players. By no means am I playing the "avoid ebay" card; that would be a bit hypocritical given that during the last few years there likely are very few on our planet who have bought more old pens on ebay than I have. But, again, I advise a measure of caution. Too, observing "the prices" for pens really requires putting the claimed prices in context.

regards

david

And as many have stated, experience is worth more than inexperience and a blurry photo. Even private contacts can offer deals, so by all means ebay isn't the only place for great deals.

#11 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:30 AM

And as many have stated, experience is worth more than inexperience and a blurry photo. Even private contacts can offer deals, so by all means ebay isn't the only place for great deals.

I also would note that private contacts offer the novice the chance to have his head handed to him, regarding anticipated "deals".

Not always though.

I do note that pursuing knowledge, skill, experience, and good business ethics rather than "deals" has a way of yielding more deals in the long run than does having a core focus on deals.

-d

Posted Image

#12 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:38 AM

I do note that pursuing knowledge, skill, experience, and good business ethics rather than "deals" has a way of yielding more deals in the long run than does having a core focus on deals.

This.

#13 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:42 PM

regards

david

Sound advice as usual from David. I buy most of my pens from the 'bay and some are good, some aren't, and I take it as it is despite the fact that it may actually be cheaper to buy exactly what I'm after than 2 or 3 so so pens to make 1 good one!! Luckily my interests lie with generally easy to "repair" ( used loosely, very basic..) and that's part of the fun, the not so good do yield plenty of parts. But what I really like about the 'bay are the unexpected "nice" surprises that turn up, the "is it a flex nib" decisions you have to make from a so so photo , what colour is that Snork? right down to taking the cap off and finding an unexpected nib, will the pen from Thailand turn up (actually every one I've bought has and generally in good condition).....balanced against the various problems that also turn up!! I should mention though I rarely pay "big money" for ebay listed pens unless the feedback or reputation is beyond doubt.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users