6 replies to this topic

#1 wekiva98

wekiva98

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:16 AM

Does anyone know what is going on with the pen in this auction? Looks to me like some form of celluloid deterioration. Can't say I've ever seen this sort of issue before.

#2 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:25 AM

Does anyone know what is going on with the pen in this auction? Looks to me like some form of celluloid deterioration. Can't say I've ever seen this sort of issue before.

From my phone it looks like the beginnings of celluloid decomposition.

#3 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:33 AM

I was going to say they've installed a thorium laser, but I think FarmBoy is probably correct.

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:26 AM

Hi,

Yeah, fluorescence (the "neoning" of celluloid), translucency, crazing and eventual discombobulation of celluloid are seen too often, particularly in pale pearlescent colors, such as with Wahl (green/brown pacemaker, various Dorics) and even with Parker (challenger-like Thrift Pens in red/green) and so forth.

But, i must admit, I don't usually see this occur in black pens. Indeed, I am not sure I've ever seen this in the usually stable opaque black plastic of that era.

That does not rule it out for this pen. Just... odd. Doubt it was an original/intentional occurrence...

Looks pretty :)

d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#5 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:35 PM

I think it has been monkeyed with. You wouldn't find both ends deteriorating to red.

Roger W.

#6 vintage penman

vintage penman

journeyman

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationCambrian Mountains - Wales

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

Looks deliberate as if someone set out to copy a Waterman 100 year pen by adding clear bits of plastic to the ends.

#7 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:22 PM

Looks deliberate as if someone set out to copy a Waterman 100 year pen by adding clear bits of plastic to the ends.

x2, that's exactly what i was thinking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users