• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:30 AM

Im curious on how much added value a Parker box has to a Golden Web Junior Slender 2 Band Lockdown vacumatic?

#2 wekiva98

wekiva98

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:13 AM

Depends, seems to me. I think a box adds to the presentation, but I doubt a run-of-the-mill example adds more than a couple bucks to an auction price. You have a chance for a boost, I think, when you've got a box that's rare (or at least uncommon), in good condition and comes from the same era as the pen. I know I was willing to pay more for this Vac set, in part, because of the box:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

Seems to me that unless you're resonably sure the box is original to the pen, or at least could have been, it adds no value at all. Unless one happens to collect boxes...

Tim
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#4 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:10 PM

Seems to me that unless you're resonably sure the box is original to the pen, or at least could have been, it adds no value at all. Unless one happens to collect boxes...

Tim

It is original to the pen, ill see if i can get a photo, as i know of many variations in boxes.

#5 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:45 PM

Along the lines of what Tim said, I don't think it adds any value to a pen in average condition. IMHO, it's a completely different story if the pen is in new condition, such as the new Jack Knife 23 I posted here. In examples such as this, the box competes the picture of a pen as it would have appeared from the factory or with the original purchaser.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:27 PM

Along the lines of what Tim said, I don't think it adds any value to a pen in average condition. IMHO, it's a completely different story if the pen is in new condition, such as the new Jack Knife 23 I posted here. In examples such as this, the box competes the picture of a pen as it would have appeared from the factory or with the original purchaser.

The box no doubt adds charm. In theory (emphasis *theory*) it adds value, but whether significant or trivial amount can be... problematic ;)

Same thing when a pen is accompanied by matching pencil.

It is possible to do a theoretical analysis. First must take a controlled setting (cannot compare flea market to retail website, etc). So a pen worth $100 and case (or matching pencil) by itself worth $20 should yield a $120 package.

Can there ever be so much charm that a case+ pen yields total greater than that parts? Maybe... but not usually.

I'd venture guess often it is the opposite, stemming from the Speary-ism "Collector's can't add". Same as idea that a Parker "51" Empire yellow and a common-cap double jewel black pen will do better with caps reversed. Some people will pay bonus for the big cap, some want a yellow pen, not so many willing to pay double bonus to get both.

Matching pencils and pen sales boxes have value no doubt. And, even if we can put forth a hard number for "retail" on one or the other, I'm far from certain that most cases see a fixed bump for the added part. Someone wants a $30-50 1937 clamshell case to store his already owned Vac-Band Vacumatic set? Great. But how many people buying a green major set because they want a green major set will be eager to pay $40 extra for that special case? Might be better to sell separately.

As an aside, I note that "original" cases for Golden Web (Brown Transparent Vac Junior documented in USA catalogues 1936-7), even if one really is sure, rather than assuming said cases are period-correct, tend to be unimpressive things, save for some funky Canadian cases, as-- save for the 1935-6 cigarette case-- most are bland cardboard,

Indeed, a fancy pen case likely will add more value to a more bland low value pen set than a bland case will add value to a high-cachet pen set (already expensive), which only makes sense.

d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:39 PM

Depends, seems to me. I think a box adds to the presentation, but I doubt a run-of-the-mill example adds more than a couple bucks to an auction price. You have a chance for a boost, I think, when you've got a box that's rare (or at least uncommon), in good condition and comes from the same era as the pen. I know I was willing to pay more for this Vac set, in part, because of the box:

Posted Image

Definitely one of the good boxes from the mid '30's. Vaguely recall believing that style is Canadian, but I'm away from the pens and not certain now.

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#8 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:16 AM

The box no doubt adds charm. In theory (emphasis *theory*) it adds value, but whether significant or trivial amount can be... problematic ;)

Same thing when a pen is accompanied by matching pencil.

It is possible to do a theoretical analysis. First must take a controlled setting (cannot compare flea market to retail website, etc). So a pen worth $100 and case (or matching pencil) by itself worth $20 should yield a $120 package.

Can there ever be so much charm that a case+ pen yields total greater than that parts? Maybe... but not usually.

I'd venture guess often it is the opposite, stemming from the Speary-ism "Collector's can't add". Same as idea that a Parker "51" Empire yellow and a common-cap double jewel black pen will do better with caps reversed. Some people will pay bonus for the big cap, some want a yellow pen, not so many willing to pay double bonus to get both.

Matching pencils and pen sales boxes have value no doubt. And, even if we can put forth a hard number for "retail" on one or the other, I'm far from certain that most cases see a fixed bump for the added part. Someone wants a $30-50 1937 clamshell case to store his already owned Vac-Band Vacumatic set? Great. But how many people buying a green major set because they want a green major set will be eager to pay $40 extra for that special case? Might be better to sell separately.

As an aside, I note that "original" cases for Golden Web (Brown Transparent Vac Junior documented in USA catalogues 1936-7), even if one really is sure, rather than assuming said cases are period-correct, tend to be unimpressive things, save for some funky Canadian cases, as-- save for the 1935-6 cigarette case-- most are bland cardboard,

Indeed, a fancy pen case likely will add more value to a more bland low value pen set than a bland case will add value to a high-cachet pen set (already expensive), which only makes sense.

d

I understand your position David and generally agree with it. I don't think it addresses my specific comment however. To reiterate, I believe that the original box adds value when we're talking about a NIB package of a vintage pen. And by vintage pen, I'm talking discontinued models from 1940 back, not something like a Parker 45 from 1970. I also don't know what the box adds to the value, but I do think there's a bump when it's a NIB pen.

In the situation of an average pen, or even above average pen like a Vac Band, isn't going to get a pop from adding a box. No argument there.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#9 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:42 AM

Here is the box with the pen, a very nice pen, im not sure if id call it a user since its in good condition, but its definitely not NOS either.

Posted Image

#10 Innes Cate

Innes Cate

journeyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationTauranga, New Zealand

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

When I purchased this PARKER Duofold Vest set I was certainly influenced by the detailed design of its case including the metal pressure open/close button.

Innes

Posted Image

Edited by Innes Cate, 24 August 2012 - 08:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users