#1 Innes Cate

Innes Cate

journeyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationTauranga, New Zealand

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:11 AM

Posted Image

Calling on you folk with the Parker Catologues....

I have just acquired his beautiful deco Parker labelled desk set. It is metal being chrome and black with clear lacquer coating.

For the accuracy of my Fountain Pen Inventory can you confirm. The seller says it is c.1930's and called it 'Sunburst' - Is this correct ?

It came with the pen being an excellent Parker Duofold (streamline) Made in U.S.A. with a sweet stub nib with flex. Nib imprint " PARKER PEN MADE IN U.S.A. .1. "

Thanks

Innes

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:25 AM

I have just acquired his beautiful deco Parker labelled desk set. It is metal being chrome and black with clear lacquer coating.

For the accuracy of my Fountain Pen Inventory can you confirm. The seller says it is c.1930's and called it 'Sunburst' - Is this correct ?

It came with the pen being an excellent Parker Duofold (streamline) Made in U.S.A. with a sweet stub nib with flex. Nib imprint " PARKER PEN MADE IN U.S.A. .1. "

Thanks

Innes

Lovely set. Thanks for sharing. I will have to hunt the catalogues but it does look early-mid 1930's. One of the more attractive styles from that era. If your pen carried Duofold markings (and it looks as if it should), the nib not only is later (1941) but probably from a Challenger or later Duofold. I'm guessing Duofold Junior size for the pen?

It's 1am here and I need to try to sleep again (jet lag from night shifts), but will peek about later.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:26 AM

Innes,

Im not 100% sure, but i do admire alot of the desk stands, and this one is particularly nice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...#ht_3932wt_1397

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:46 AM

Looks like it pulled a fair price. Quality items from well known pen sellers with very high quality feedback (lesson in there too, Brandon) will tend to pull reasonable prices, as they should.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#5 Innes Cate

Innes Cate

journeyman

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:14 AM

Innes,

Im not 100% sure, but i do admire alot of the desk stands, and this one is particularly nice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...#ht_3932wt_1397

That's the one I purchased - I have brought a couple of excellent condition pens from this seller so was confident I would be getting the same with this set and haven't been disappointed.

I note David's comment that the nib is most likely to be from a later model but to have a genuine Parker stub (with flex) is a plus to the buy.

Innes

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:20 AM

That's the one I purchased - I have brought a couple of excellent condition pens from this seller so was confident I would be getting the same with this set and haven't been disappointed.

I note David's comment that the nib is most likely to be from a later model but to have a genuine Parker stub (with flex) is a plus to the buy.

Innes

The nib is a relatively small detail. A Duofold Junior nib probably has "retail" value $10-20 more than a 1941 "striped" Duofold nib. There are known examples of late-issue Duofolds too (even marked "1" for 1941, though the series "stopped' in 1935). If the pen itself packs a late date code then then nib likely is wholly original.

The deco base fitted with a nice Duofold pen is the core of this one. I won't nitpick desk set values as there is a hefty range of styles and a wide range of prices found, not to mention the various prices found in different venues. While I do have a fair bunch of 1930's Parker desk bases around, I have not put major focus on the market for them. I do believe this is one of the particularly charming desk base styles from the involved era.

regards

david

Posted Image

#7 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:45 AM

Posted Image

Thanks

Innes

Hi Innes,

This set is shown in the 1938 Parker catalog, page 36 to be exact. It's not in the 1936 catalog, so it must have been introduced in 1937 or 1938. It's labeled as the model HD and was sold with a Parkette pen, so it's actually not intended to be with a Duofold. That doesn't mean it didn't get sold that way originally in the pen shop, but it does appear to be a non-factory marriage. The exact description is "Model HD. Handsome combination of Black Enamel Die Cast Metal and High Polish Chrome. Size 4-1/2 by 3-1/2. With Black Parkette Desk Pen. List Price $2.50".

I don't know where Bob found the "Sunburst" name, but someone might have suggested it to him. As David noted, Bob's a high-integrity seller who's been in the business a long time. I've bought from him in the past. His Parker expertise however tends to be in the pens from the 1960s forward, as he handles much fewer pens from the earlier days.

As far as value, I'm not a good judge of that as I've done very little with desk sets over the years. It's a good looking set and should serve you well as a good writer.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#8 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:59 AM

Hi Innes,

This set is shown in the 1938 Parker catalog, page 36 to be exact. It's not in the 1936 catalog, so it must have been introduced in 1937 or 1938. It's labeled as the model HD and was sold with a Parkette pen, so it's actually not intended to be with a Duofold. That doesn't mean it didn't get sold that way originally in the pen shop, but it does appear to be a non-factory marriage. The exact description is "Model HD. Handsome combination of Black Enamel Die Cast Metal and High Polish Chrome. Size 4-1/2 by 3-1/2. With Black Parkette Desk Pen. List Price $2.50".

I don't know where Bob found the "Sunburst" name, but someone might have suggested it to him. As David noted, Bob's a high-integrity seller who's been in the business a long time. I've bought from him in the past. His Parker expertise however tends to be in the pens from the 1960s forward, as he handles much fewer pens from the earlier days.

As far as value, I'm not a good judge of that as I've done very little with desk sets over the years. It's a good looking set and should serve you well as a good writer.

Hi John,

I maintain a bit more of an open view regarding which tier pen should be found with bases of this sort. Most of the pens from the era were of compatible size and thus were interchangeable. Offhand I recall some bases (in earlier catalogues perhaps) being priced based on the pen chosen to go with it. One bought the base and then priced it in part for thepen. I must hunt catalogues before I insist on that view

I would not be shocked that a base such as this could be had, without much issue, with different pens and would not be shocked if dealers were encouraged/permitted to do so by Parker. Yeah, I konw, "go prove it" ;)

So far the pen appears a bit early for the base (though I must review my 1935 catalogues) and the nib has a later mark. There are other tales of desk bases that have features outside their usual era.

I certainly cannot insist the base was dealer or Parker offered with a Duofold or Vacumatic or Challenger pen, but it could have been. Too, as the value in this item really is somewhat incremental (the base has value, the pen has value), I don't see a great problem even with a potential mix. Tapers are selling $40, nibs of this sort probably $20-40, a clean DF Jr barrel has some value. The charm of course is in the deco base, and, sure, we can argue if it was a bargain or not, but what difference does that really make. Too, the market for these is a bit nebulous. And, if making it correct really mattered, I daresay many people would be willing to offer up a fairly hard to find but very low value Parkette desk pen in exchange for a gold nibbed, complete Duofold desk pen.

regards

david

Posted Image

#9 Mike Kirk

Mike Kirk

journeyman

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationWixom, Michigan

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:51 PM

Innes, your desk base is, IMHO, one of Parker's most attractive desk bases from the "Golden Era". To me, it SCREAMS 1930's Art Deco. I could have sworn it was also offered earlier but John is, as usual, right on the money describing it in the 1938 Catalog.

Innes, you have a wonderful piece! I can only come close to yours with a less attractive but similar base I acquired. Not quite as representative of the time as yours. IIRC, mine came with a 1935 Grey Pearl (marbled) Vacumatic with decent transparency, very similar to yours. The photos in my computer are from the Hotel Bathroom Studio and are marginal at best.

Posted Image
I do note that the desk base decal states both "Parker" and "Duofold" so this supports the notion that these were for that line.

Your piece is a great find! I've seen less than a handful of these come up on eBay over the years and, given the art deco design, I expect the closing price was, as David mentioned, a very fair price. I've also bought from Bob and found him to be highly respectable and a pleasure to do business with.

Enjoy your desk set!

Regards,
Mike Kirk

Mike Kirk

(~==]=====]]
Penfindum Restorum

Memberpca_logo100x100_zps688ac2a8.png NAWCCLogo_zps4a922f0b.jpg

#10 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:37 PM

Hi John,

I maintain a bit more of an open view regarding which tier pen should be found with bases of this sort. Most of the pens from the era were of compatible size and thus were interchangeable. Offhand I recall some bases (in earlier catalogues perhaps) being priced based on the pen chosen to go with it. One bought the base and then priced it in part for thepen. I must hunt catalogues before I insist on that view

Hi David,

It's always fine to maintain an open view. However, the 1938 catalogue states that this specific base came with the Parkette pen. The OP asked about information out of the catalogue, and that's what I gave. Any deviation from the Parkette would be non-catalog, unless you can find an earlier (or perhaps later) catalogue that states otherwise for this base. The 1934 and 1936 catalogues do not have this base in it.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

#11 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

Innes, your desk base is, IMHO, one of Parker's most attractive desk bases from the "Golden Era". To me, it SCREAMS 1930's Art Deco. I could have sworn it was also offered earlier but John is, as usual, right on the money describing it in the 1938 Catalog.

Innes, you have a wonderful piece! I can only come close to yours with a less attractive but similar base I acquired. Not quite as representative of the time as yours. IIRC, mine came with a 1935 Grey Pearl (marbled) Vacumatic with decent transparency, very similar to yours. The photos in my computer are from the Hotel Bathroom Studio and are marginal at best.

Posted Image
I do note that the desk base decal states both "Parker" and "Duofold" so this supports the notion that these were for that line.

Your piece is a great find! I've seen less than a handful of these come up on eBay over the years and, given the art deco design, I expect the closing price was, as David mentioned, a very fair price. I've also bought from Bob and found him to be highly respectable and a pleasure to do business with.

Enjoy your desk set!

Regards,
Mike Kirk

Hi Mike,

Just a couple of thoughts on your comments.

On the base being offered earlier, I often get this one confused with a similar base that was offered in the late 1920s with the Duofold. I only have a crappy photo of the 1929 Christmas Parker ad, which is below. In the upper left corner of that ad you'll see the base I'm referring to, which has a similar art deco appearance. I've not seen it in chrome, only in enameled colors. This ad shows it with an imbedded cigarette lighter, but I've seen it without as well. I'm not sure if this is what you're thinking of.

One the base label saying something about Duofold, I'm not sure that this does anything as a number of bases that weren't for Duofolds had a Duofold statement on them. As an example, in the same 1929 ad below, in the center right edge is a photo of the traveling desk set. This set has a small sextagonal (I think that's right for six-sided) enameled base with a matching pastel pen. I've owned several of these, all of which had the pastel pen except for one that had a True Blue in it. In all cases, the label had several pens listed including the Duofold, but I don't think a Duofold would even fit in the socket of this set (maybe a Juniorette would). Just thought I would share that for discussion purposes.

Interesting stuff guys!

Posted Image

John Danza

#12 George

George

journeyman

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:26 PM

I also have never seen the OP's base with a duofold pen before. I have never seen a proper duofold desk pen with the gold filled ring on the taper with a chrome styled base.
To John,

Great ad! Santa writing with a Duofold Deluxe really makes it special.

What is also interesting is the Spirit of Aviation desk base at the top of the ad. Maybe considered to be the"best" desk base in pendom. Funny how the figure isn't even a real bronze... it's cast from pot metal!

Regards,
George

#13 Innes Cate

Innes Cate

journeyman

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:47 AM

With the positive feedback on this topic it confirms I made the right decision in purchasing a piece of Parker design that is something tather special...

John - many thanks for the catologue detail which clearly clarrifies the description fully.

With the pen creating much discussion so for comparison I have measured a Parker Duofold Junior streamline from the nib end of the section to the end of barrel (prior to the threads for the blind cap) and it is 76.5mm with a barrel dia of 12.0mm. The Duofold with the base of the same measurement is 83.5mm and a dia of 12.1.mm. With an extra 7mm of length does this signify another model size?

I have to say the gold taper ring against the chrome base did puzzle me - perhaps a later addition or ????

Without posting a picture the Parker label has the centre portion rubbed off due to it's placement. Above right of the Parker word there has been something in the worn area ending in...USA. MADE IN U.S.A. is on the 2nd line. The word DUOFOLD is not included.

Innes

#14 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

With the positive feedback on this topic it confirms I made the right decision in purchasing a piece of Parker design that is something tather special...

John - many thanks for the catologue detail which clearly clarrifies the description fully.

With the pen creating much discussion so for comparison I have measured a Parker Duofold Junior streamline from the nib end of the section to the end of barrel (prior to the threads for the blind cap) and it is 76.5mm with a barrel dia of 12.0mm. The Duofold with the base of the same measurement is 83.5mm and a dia of 12.1.mm. With an extra 7mm of length does this signify another model size?

I have to say the gold taper ring against the chrome base did puzzle me - perhaps a later addition or ????

Without posting a picture the Parker label has the centre portion rubbed off due to it's placement. Above right of the Parker word there has been something in the worn area ending in...USA. MADE IN U.S.A. is on the 2nd line. The word DUOFOLD is not included.

Innes

For Vacumatics at least, only gray pearl pens routinely are found with chrome trim, and desk pens follow that pattern with chrome ring on taper for gray pearl. Duofolds and all non-gray Vacs tend to be found with GF ring. I doubt the base had anything to do with the pen ring color.

regards

david

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users