• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:48 AM

It has been a while since I've asked one of my patented numbskull questions, so here goes:

If there are no obvious stamped markings, how does one know whether a pen ( and/or part, such as a cap) is solid gold, gold-filled, gold-plated or any other method? I'll even be specific: I just received a nice Aurora 88P with a gold cap; examining the interior, it certainly doesn't appear to be solid gold! But since there are no external stamps, is there any way for me to know more about the content/materials of the item, other than history of provenance of a given pen/model?

Clumsily worded, but I hope you get the drift: I'd like to be able to look at a pen and with some discerning info and eyes, have a rough idea of what I'm looking at.

Thanks in advance and all other fluffery...

#2 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:28 AM

It has been a while since I've asked one of my patented numbskull questions, so here goes:

If there are no obvious stamped markings, how does one know whether a pen ( and/or part, such as a cap) is solid gold, gold-filled, gold-plated or any other method? I'll even be specific: I just received a nice Aurora 88P with a gold cap; examining the interior, it certainly doesn't appear to be solid gold! But since there are no external stamps, is there any way for me to know more about the content/materials of the item, other than history of provenance of a given pen/model?

Clumsily worded, but I hope you get the drift: I'd like to be able to look at a pen and with some discerning info and eyes, have a rough idea of what I'm looking at.

Thanks in advance and all other fluffery...

Jon;

I believe solid gold pens are always marked such (nibs are often solid 14K and not marked such). GP and GF I think address time when the pen was made - earlier is GF which is much thicker than GP. So I would primarily look to time of manufacture and then near the crossover ask an expert.

Roger W.

#3 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:51 AM

Fairly straightforward for UK made pens. Solid gold overlaid pens (vintage or modern) will always bear a full set of UK hallmarks showing a letter that indicates date of marking, with fineness (ie number of carats), assay office and sponsor's (maker's) marks. The full set of marks will normally appear on the largest part (barrel), each removable part (cap, for instance) will also bear a partial set of marks, and of course the date letters should be the same on each piece if all the parts are original. Solid gold bands are not always marked in the same way as minimum size regulations varied over the years, so you do see solid gold bands just marked '9ct', especially pre-1930.

Most other overlays of a gold appearance would be of rolled gold (often marked 18ct RG). Rolled gold is made by pressure bonding a thin sheet of gold onto a brass substrate, the layer of gold is much thicker than in gold plating and so it should be more durable. Beware false hallmarks that were sometimes applied to RG to confuse or deceive! 'Gold filled' is not a term normally associated with UK pens - I've always assumed it to mean the same thing as our RG but I could be wrong in that. Gold plating is not generally seen on UK pens.

If you have access to back copies of the WES Journal, my article on the hallmarks found on Conway Stewart pens in no. 75 (2006) may be worthwhile background reading!
Andy

#4 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

Thank you, gentlemen, this has helped clarify the situation for me. One of the things that seems important is understanding the difference between GF and GP with regard to refurbishment/restoration. It seems it would be wise to be extra cautious with any polishing/buffing on a piece known to have less plated material.

Also, Andy: what is the WES Journal? And could you recommend a source for back issues?

Thanks again.

#5 AZuniga

AZuniga

journeyman

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:53 PM

Thank you, gentlemen, this has helped clarify the situation for me. One of the things that seems important is understanding the difference between GF and GP with regard to refurbishment/restoration. It seems it would be wise to be extra cautious with any polishing/buffing on a piece known to have less plated material.

Also, Andy: what is the WES Journal? And could you recommend a source for back issues?

Thanks again.

Jon,

For many years I have had Aurora 88, as far as I can remember they always had a trademark indicating 18k, which does not mean there are not without it, in which case it should be double checked.

Although Andy will get back to you, here it is all about WES http://www.wesonline.org.uk/index.html
It is worth visiting, subscribing and reading their wonderful articles...
Regards

#6 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:04 PM

Thanks again.

Hi Jon,

WES is essentially the UK equivalent of the PCA. Penmex has given you the link to the Writing Equipment Society web page, if you browse that you should be able to find information about back issues. As far as I remember you don't have to be a member of the WES to buy back issues of the Journal, though they may well be cheaper if you join - well worth it just for the three Journals per year!

If in doubt, there is a link on the site to allow you to contact the librarian, Jeremy Collingridge, who will tell you all you need to know.

Andy

PS regarding your 'numbskull' question, somebody once wisely told me the only stupid question was the one that you didn't bother to ask.....!

Edited by AndyR, 08 September 2012 - 04:10 PM.

#7 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:42 PM

Fairly straightforward for UK made pens. Solid gold overlaid pens (vintage or modern) will always bear a full set of UK hallmarks showing a letter that indicates date of marking, with fineness (ie number of carats), assay office and sponsor's (maker's) marks. The full set of marks will normally appear on the largest part (barrel), each removable part (cap, for instance) will also bear a partial set of marks, and of course the date letters should be the same on each piece if all the parts are original. Solid gold bands are not always marked in the same way as minimum size regulations varied over the years, so you do see solid gold bands just marked '9ct', especially pre-1930.

Most other overlays of a gold appearance would be of rolled gold (often marked 18ct RG). Rolled gold is made by pressure bonding a thin sheet of gold onto a brass substrate, the layer of gold is much thicker than in gold plating and so it should be more durable. Beware false hallmarks that were sometimes applied to RG to confuse or deceive! 'Gold filled' is not a term normally associated with UK pens - I've always assumed it to mean the same thing as our RG but I could be wrong in that. Gold plating is not generally seen on UK pens.

If you have access to back copies of the WES Journal, my article on the hallmarks found on Conway Stewart pens in no. 75 (2006) may be worthwhile background reading!
Andy

I also appreciate your input, i see alot of 9k overlay pens pre 1930. Did they ever make pens with 18k overlays?

#8 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:54 PM

For many years I have had Aurora 88, as far as I can remember they always had a trademark indicating 18k, which does not mean there are not without it, in which case it should be double checked.

Thanks - I'm fairly certain it is a gold-filled cap, certainly no markings on it. That's fine with me - it isn't a museum/collection quality example, but in very nice condition and a lovely pen to write with. And thanks for the WES info (Andy too)

#9 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

1347122531[/url]' post='17641']

I also appreciate your input, i see alot of 9k overlay pens pre 1930. Did they ever make pens with 18k overlays?

Yes but they are very much less common. 18 carat gold is that much softer than 9 carat, so as well as being more expensive they would be less practical for frequent use.

Andy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users