• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 johnlmiller620

johnlmiller620

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:41 AM

Greetings from Portland, OR. Had the pleasure of meeting folks at the Swann auction in NYC this past Thursday, including a terrific and educational dinner with Paul Erlano, David Isaacson, Tom Heath, Rick and Fred (sorry dudes, missed the last names!) following the Swann auction - where I was, nearly unbelievably to me, a participant.

I'm orginally from Brooklyn, NY but moved out west for the change of pace, bring my wife closer to her family, and hopefully seize an opportunity to redefine myself more creatively. I'm a writer by degree and by passion, working right now on a novel but prone to stories and plain-language poetry. I do a lot of handwriting, whence comes my appreciation of fountain pens. To actually make money, I'm always on the lookout for jobs in business and technical writing, proposal management and content management. I attended the Swann auction as research into an article/essay on rediscovering pens after nearly a decade's hiatus from 25 to about 35 - and now, on winning a pen at my first outcry auction.

I consider myself's a user's collector, having acquired my first pens right out of college. I favor pens that can elegantly take use and abuse. So far, my collection is entirely modern (post-1970), and mostly European or Japanese, favoring Lamy and Pilot. I have an active rotation of 7-10 pens constantly inked, and never travel with less than three pens. I have smalll writing and write with very light pressure, so I favor F or XF tips.

I'm looking forward to reading and learning about older pens, particularly as I get the sense that the right pre-1950 pen may outperform, for me, something brand new. Thanks for letting me in, ladies and gentlemen!

#2 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:43 AM

Welcome John,

Seeing you like European and Japanese after 1970, maybe look into Pilot and other Japanese pre 1950. That's something that im confident you'd like Posted Image

#3 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:11 AM

Welcome John!

I was the dude who sat to your left!

Anyway, nice to see you found you way to David's board.

I know that was a lot to absorb on Thursday, don't worry, you won't be tested on that material.

Those fun get together dinners are the best times and great learning opportunities.

Sad part is Dr. Erano gave me homework. I guess I got to get started.

Take Care!
Rick

#4 johnlmiller620

johnlmiller620

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:21 AM

Ah, Rick, there you are! That was an excellent dinner, in fact. Look forward to seeing you in the future, possibly in Ohio - let's see if my planets align.

Brando, I've been thinking of starting with the "pocket pens" that Pilot, Platinum and Sailor all seemed to produce for a good long time.

Thanks, all, for the warm welcome.

John M.

#5 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:33 AM

Ah, Rick, there you are! That was an excellent dinner, in fact. Look forward to seeing you in the future, possibly in Ohio - let's see if my planets align.

Brando, I've been thinking of starting with the "pocket pens" that Pilot, Platinum and Sailor all seemed to produce for a good long time.

Thanks, all, for the warm welcome.

John M.

Im not sure what a pocket pen is... Could you brighten my horizon, would this be it? Im almost thinking ringtop, but im somewhat sure that the three companies listed didn't make ringtops.

http://www.ebay.com/...n-/251140523328

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:37 AM

Im not sure what a pocket pen is... Could you brighten my horizon, would this be it? Im almost thinking ringtop, but im somewhat sure that the three companies listed didn't make ringtops.

A pocket pen is 99% of all pens, that which goes (or can go) in a pocket. Unlike a desk pen

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#7 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:48 AM

A pocket pen is 99% of all pens, that which goes (or can go) in a pocket. Unlike a desk pen

regards

david

Thanks, never heard the term used before.

#8 pendumb

pendumb

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:02 AM

regards

david

Thanks, never heard the term used before.

Uh, well, in the context of Japanese pens of the 1970s, "pocket pens" are the short/long pens which are small when capped and more normal size when posted like the MYU 70 and Volex pens by Pilot. They have long caps and sections and short barrels. Sailor, Platinum, Pilot and other makers put out pens like this in plastic, stainless steel, and some in sterling silver and aluminium. They were meant to fit down better in a shirt pocket and were something of a craze.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users