• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:23 PM

I have just watched these bunch of pens sell for £850 plus charges (about another 21%). Can any one tell me what was in the lot to attract such a high price.
Widget

Attached Files

#2 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:58 PM

Other than the vac, i have no clue.

#3 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:24 PM

Can't be the Vac it's not got a cap. Any thoughts David? Is there a sleeper?

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:41 PM

Can't be the Vac it's not got a cap. Any thoughts David? Is there a sleeper?

Hi Widget,

If something there is special, it escapes me (yes, that can happen).

Even if the capless Vac is a Maxima (it might be) and even with the somewhat beaten "51" and even if the cap on the top frankepen is from a British Parker Duofold or Victory, there is nowhere near that value, IMO .

I suppose the middle red marble pen could be some exotic vintage Italian outside my range of familiarity, but frankly it does not look like a particularly high quality pen from here.

Happy to hear other views, but I don't see it.

Do note you can post images to a personal Album in our GALLERY tab at top of page, allowing easy sharing of images in posts (just paste the offered line of BBC text right into a post), which gives 25MB of storage, not the measly 500kb in post uploads (which requires purging of images to keep loading more).

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#5 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:59 PM

I know the Vac wasn't worth the almost 900 British pounds, and neither is the price with the Conway Steward and Parker 51. I also agree that there must of been some behind the door info, or something. Any i think if that would of been a USA ebay sale, it would of went in the ~$150 range.

#6 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:46 PM

Sorry about this I put the wrong picture up. That lot only went for about £45 plus charges. This is the lot that went for £850 plus charges. Anything in this lot? It's in my gallery Lot 283

Gallery Image pasted into post (via BBC Code text from Gallery) courtesy of Ye Olde Admin

Posted Image

#7 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:51 PM

Thanks Admin. I'm clueless!!!

#8 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:54 PM

That's a PFM. Do we know the gold content of the safety pen? The Lahn style plastic could be an Onoto.

#9 Jiffypens

Jiffypens

journeyman

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:08 AM

The Onoto looks like a Magna, which bring big money. Also, the Pen for Men!

Edited by Jiffypens, 17 September 2012 - 12:15 AM.

#10 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:13 AM

Sorry about this I put the wrong picture up. That lot only went for about £45 plus charges. This is the lot that went for £850 plus charges. Anything in this lot? It's in my gallery Lot 283

Gallery Image pasted into post (via BBC Code text from Gallery) courtesy of Ye Olde Admin

Posted Image

Now that changes things! Just the Onoto Magna along (if that's what it is (looks to be from material, but im not familiar with the Magna, and the cap band i need some more info on)) is worth $700 on itself, and the European safety (looks to be gold (no brassing, not a Waterman clip, so that rules that out)) is worth $120, and than the Sheaffer (PFM???) and a Swan... pretty decent deal, but you'd be at retail with repair costs.

#11 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:19 AM

'That's a PFM. Do we know the gold content of the safety pen? The Lahn style plastic could be an Onoto'

Sloegin I dont know the gold content so can only presume it's GF as opposed to hallmarked gold. The auction catalogue stated

'Collection of 6 pens Onoto Magna De La Rue & Co Ltd, London, The One Pen, Aurora Torino, Swan self filling boxed'
This is the only information I have apart from pic.

Widget

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users