6 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:53 PM

"Golden Age" Waterman pens are not my core focus, but picking up a nice one here and there for 14 years has left me with a collection of a few dozen quite decent pens. This one I like, having found it probably 8 years ago at a Philadelphia Pen Show.

Waterman 454 (sterling on BHR 54 ) in pattern possibly called Moderne or Modern or something, but known to collectors widely as "Night and Day". Considered a "better" pattern, it doesn't turn up so often, even at pen shows. All I've seen are 54 size, so I'm not sure the overall more prevalent (in silver) 452 was done in this pattern.

This set is in quite nice shape. I did not tamper with the patina.

http://vacumania.com/penteech2/waterman454nightandday.jpgPosted Image

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 Jim B

Jim B

journeyman

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:02 PM

Sell the set to me David.

I'll get those babies polished up in no time.Posted Image

#3 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:19 AM

Sell the set to me David.

I'll get those babies polished up in no time.Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image, i hope not. Great set David, you've got some really nice Waterman's.

#4 George

George

journeyman

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:07 AM

Beautiful set. One of my favorite Waterman lever fill overlays.

The pattern is called Moderne in Waterman literature.

Regards,
George

#5 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:23 AM

Beautiful set, David. I have most of the patterns for Waterman overlays from this era - basically this is the only sterling overlay I am missing. If you would like to sell it sometime, let me know. There was a nice set on eBay a while back, but I somehow missed the auction closing.

I think you may be right that the 454 is the only version of this pattern - at least that's the only one I have seen. Anyway, thanks for the pictures - very nice!

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

Beautiful set, David. I have most of the patterns for Waterman overlays from this era - basically this is the only sterling overlay I am missing. If you would like to sell it sometime, let me know. There was a nice set on eBay a while back, but I somehow missed the auction closing.

I think you may be right that the 454 is the only version of this pattern - at least that's the only one I have seen. Anyway, thanks for the pictures - very nice!

Someday.

But not today. Just not ready.

I had forgotten I'd taken another pic of this set, using different lighting arrangement.

Posted Image

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#7 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

In USA production, the 4-size was the only one offered. Note that there is also a much scarcer variant where the crossbars (across the "slots") are engine turned with a barleycorn pattern.

A different form of this basic slotted pattern had a much longer run in French production, where it is found in GF and solid 18K gold more often than in silver, applied to safeties and lever-fillers, and even -- more rarely -- to slip-cap EDs. These pens are usually 2-size and 4-size, though there are a handful of 5-size examples known (I sold a French Ripple LF with an 18K LEC Night & Day overlay a year or two back; it was a great pen).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users