• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:51 PM

Ebonized pearl WASP's seem pretty uncommon. The only one that seems to come up on a search is an OS in a Worthpoint listing of an ebay lot back in 2007. So how uncommon are pencils?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150902681942

Posted Image

#2 PatM

PatM

journeyman

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:15 PM

Great pencil - in my experience a WASP in ebonized pearl is very difficult to find, and even less common in a pencil. I'll be interested in the experience of others.

Best,
Pat

#3 Jon Veley

Jon Veley

journeyman

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:11 AM

Arrived yesterday. Looks great next to my snakeskin examples. :)

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:51 AM

Great pencil - in my experience a WASP in ebonized pearl is very difficult to find, and even less common in a pencil. I'll be interested in the experience of others.

Best,
Pat

In most instances, pencils for me are casual afterthought. I don't object to sets, and in couple cases actively seek/have sought pencils (my OS Flamingo Deco Band Wahl, Vacumatic Imperial Coronet, and so forth), but generally if pencils turn up... fine. If not... fine.

But, I have been fond of the WASP (Sheaffer 1930's Sub-Brand) pens done in high-line Balance's Ebonized Pearl plastic. I've owned perhaps three pens total (all OS), and while I have not polled the Great Collections for counts, in my casual persuit (ebay, pen shows, etc) doubt I've seen even ten total in a decade or more of browsing. My guess is I've handled perhaps two of the pencils, one of which I kept to make a set.

We did have a brief thread about this pen/pattern year or so back

King of the WASP's thread: http://fountainpenbo...g-of-the-wasps/

Interesting challenge for cachet stratification. On one hand, some WASPs (and other similar sub-brand pens) garner added cachet for their non-Balance plastic as well as scarcity of course. A Screamer pattern WASP Vacuum-Fil pen carries more cachet today than an early pen in plain black or mottled Marine Green. But, the Ebonized Pearl WASPs somewhat paradoxically carry added value for sharing a Balance plastic, perhaps the most beautiful Balance plastic, as well as for being scarce.

Too, unlike Black, Marine Green, "Screamer", "Circuit Board", I am not aware of any Sheaffer documentation for Ebonized Pearl WASPs.

Here is the set from my personal collection.

Posted Image

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#5 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:35 PM

Best,
Pat

In most instances, pencils for me are casual afterthought. I don't object to sets, and in couple cases actively seek/have sought pencils (my OS Flamingo Deco Band Wahl, Vacumatic Imperial Coronet, and so forth), but generally if pencils turn up... fine. If not... fine.

But, I have been fond of the WASP (Sheaffer 1930's Sub-Brand) pens done in high-line Balance's Ebonized Pearl plastic. I've owned perhaps three pens total (all OS), and while I have not polled the Great Collections for counts, in my casual persuit (ebay, pen shows, etc) doubt I've seen even ten total in a decade or more of browsing. My guess is I've handled perhaps two of the pencils, one of which I kept to make a set.

We did have a brief thread about this pen/pattern year or so back

King of the WASP's thread: http://fountainpenbo...g-of-the-wasps/

Interesting challenge for cachet stratification. On one hand, some WASPs (and other similar sub-brand pens) garner added cachet for their non-Balance plastic as well as scarcity of course. A Screamer pattern WASP Vacuum-Fil pen carries more cachet today than an early pen in plain black or mottled Marine Green. But, the Ebonized Pearl WASPs somewhat paradoxically carry added value for sharing a Balance plastic, perhaps the most beautiful Balance plastic, as well as for being scarce.

Too, unlike Black, Marine Green, "Screamer", "Circuit Board", I am not aware of any Sheaffer documentation for Ebonized Pearl WASPs.

Here is the set from my personal collection.

Posted Image

regards

david

Ohh my heaven, that is one of the nicest Ebonized Pearl pens ive ever seen Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Most balance ive seen are mostly discolored, but looking at this Wasp makes me think that Wasp's are always mint (which i know isn't true). That's a really nice pen!

Is the Wasp of high significance than an oversize balance?

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:52 AM

Most balance ive seen are mostly discolored, but looking at this Wasp makes me think that Wasp's are always mint (which i know isn't true). That's a really nice pen!

Is the Wasp of high significance than an oversize balance?

Brandon,

Color is nice because the pen is in very nice condition. I tend to collect pens in very nice condition ;)

As to cachet vs Balance, this is an area-- as are many in pendom-- of some subjectivity.

WASPs are low line pens, all told, vs Balance. They tend to have smaller/thinner nibs than Balance, a tell-tale sign of cost control. As they often have interesting transparency patterns and garish non-Balance colors, they have a growing following. Ebonized Pearl WASP so far is known only oversized, with same threads as OS Balance, essentially a truncated/beveled Balance. It is well more scarce than OS Balance. But it has a smaller following. Serious 1930's Sheafferers are tickled pink to encounter one, but retail value probably still is a bit below retail value for Balance OS in this color.

d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users