• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TonyD

TonyD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

Hi everybody. I wanted to introduce myself. I'm Tony. I've been a fountain pen user/buyer for about 3-4 years now. I'm big on Pelikans, Sheaffers, Watermans, Cross, and Pilot. But I have some vintage pens and I also have several pens from other makers as well like Parker, Lamy, etc. I love all pens, from ballpoints and porous points to rollerballs and fountain pens. I consider myself primarily a fountain pen user, but am no stranger to using rollerballs (which I also enjoy buying plenty of). Some of you might recognize me from other forums too.

#2 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:44 PM

Welcome Tony,

What vintage pens do you have?

#3 TonyD

TonyD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:47 PM

Hi Brando, nothing too special. Couple of Esterbrooks, a Sheaffer TouchDown, a couple of Imperials (I think more from the 60s or 70s), and a Parker 45 (from the same time period). I find myself buying more modern pens mainly because I'm afraid of spending too much money on vintage pens that might or might not write. But I'm planning on buying at least a few this year, like an old Pelikan (I like the 100nn), Parker 51, a Waterman 52, Sheaffer Balance, and maybe a few Snorkel pens. I also want to get a Parker Vac and an old Duofold (the ones with the Christmas tree feeds). So I do have a wish list for vintage, lol, I just get nervous about purchasing vintage because I'm not a repair person and not sure how much repairs would be on such old pens.

#4 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:51 PM

Hi Brando, nothing too special. Couple of Esterbrooks, a Sheaffer TouchDown, a couple of Imperials (I think more from the 60s or 70s), and a Parker 45 (from the same time period). I find myself buying more modern pens mainly because I'm afraid of spending too much money on vintage pens that might or might not write. But I'm planning on buying at least a few this year, like an old Pelikan (I like the 100nn), Parker 51, a Waterman 52, Sheaffer Balance, and maybe a few Snorkel pens. I also want to get a Parker Vac and an old Duofold (the ones with the Christmas tree feeds). So I do have a wish list for vintage, lol, I just get nervous about purchasing vintage because I'm not a repair person and not sure how much repairs would be on such old pens.

Dont be too afraid of vintage pens, only vintage pens can you get true flex, and that flex is not something you'll find on modern pens. An average repair is $35, and more complicated repairs can be $50, $75 to $500. But those last few number you can forget about, because i doubt you'll be sending in a repair of something that's broken.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users