Photo

A gem Nassau Green you just don't see every day...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:22 AM

Hey,

It's a Nassau... and... it IS green...

Posted Image

Third tier can be OK sometimes.
-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:24 AM

Nice. The colour has held up so well, some of the celluloids used in those 3rd tier pens is pretty impressive really.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#3 George

George

journeyman

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 03:03 PM

Love the celluloid color.

George

#4 fabbale

fabbale

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationTuscany - Italy -

Posted 20 November 2010 - 02:25 PM

Great color David.

I don't know any about this brand; i've in y collection a trio set in B&P in not good condition, but nice for me.
Can you telle something?

Thanks

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I buy old Italian fountain pens. If you have some to sell, please send me an email.

#5 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 20 November 2010 - 03:39 PM

Weird, I found a deluxe esterbrook set in Nassau green not too long ago. When set next to my Nassau 51 it was a perfect match.

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:43 PM

Great color David.

I don't know any about this brand; i've in y collection a trio set in B&P in not good condition, but nice for me.
Can you telle something?

Thanks

Hi Fabbale,

Somewhere in this thread is a lesson for me, maybe lesson not to post teasing or facetious thread ;)

Nassau (the brand) appears to be a somewhat low-quality , small-ish brand (others of course are free to correct me), one of many companies that made pens with poorly finished trim (thin gold plate etc, instead of gold-filled), often with fragile levelr usually either gold nib very small for pen or non-alloy-gold (gold-plate or steel) nib, often subject to swelling of barrel near lever from strain on celluloid.

It is the sort of pen which when well worn (as are most) sells for very little, often just value of gold nib (if has gold nib) or even less.

My use of "Gem" was a bit tongue-in-cheek, although even a weak pen can have great (gem?) condition or have attractive look.

But this thread involved a deliberately misleading title

Nassau Green of course is considered by many to be the "best" color for Parker "51" pen. Offering a discussion of "gem Nassau Green" is to make expectation of perhaps a near-mint double-jewel Parker 51 in this vaunted color. The joke of course being one opens the discussion and sees a third-tier pen named Nassau in color green, not a high end Parker 51.

Now in this case the pen happens to be quite clean with good preservation of green celluloid (which even in expensive brands often turns bad color), so it is something of gem condition for a green pen by Nassau, but hardly is it a near mint Parker 51 in "Nassau Green" color. Certainly there is room in hobby for collecting "low-end" pens, especially when low end pen is found in very nice condition (most are in bad condition, in large part due to weak trim)

I give credit (well, maybe) to my fellow collectors who-- instead of complaining for an arguable abuse of term "Nassau Green"-- responded in a straight fashion, running with the title as if there was no double meaning. They stayed with the game. I think they knew the joke. We have funny people here. :)

I believe your pen set is NOT black and pearl. It is apparently black and cream. The white areas (maybe more white originally) I suspect never were pearlescent. They never had depth to color. Instead, the cream is just an off-white color to mimic/copy the more expensive pearl look. Your pen has cleaner plastic than it has metal trim, typical to pens such as these.

After all that, I don't really know anything about Nassau the company. The pens turn up time to time. If clean and with interesting plastic they can catch the eye and make nice impression, but value generally is very low.

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users