41 replies to this topic

#1 wekiva98

wekiva98

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:08 AM

A very rare and beautiful solid-gold balance set -- and the winner (not me) paid a spectacular price for it.

#2 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:29 AM

I suspect the person, some 6 grand lighter, may well be known here.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#3 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:40 AM

Hugh;

One of two people here may own it. I privately stated it would go at $5,000+ when the listing when up and there was a bit of chat between Sheaffer experts. I think it went at a fair price and should easily hold its value unless the sets start popping up more frequently than once a decade. I bought the pen in 2002. I paid a LOT less.

Roger W.

Posted Image

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:18 AM

Regards
Hugh

And I'd bet there's a good chance he won't be buying drinks this year at Ohio for the underbidder what drove up the price...

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#5 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:51 AM

who got it?

#6 wekiva98

wekiva98

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:51 AM

Glad to know it went to someone who appreciates it. Beautiful, beautiful set. I was wondering about the box and sleeves -- not a big thing with a set this rare, I know -- but I'm curious. I associate boxes and sleeves like this with post-war Masterpiece sets. This set strikes me as dating from maybe around 1941, based on that year's catalog and the shift in subsequent years to Triumph nibs on solid-gold pens. Do you suppose this set sat around at the dealer's for some years before it finally went home with someone?

#7 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:53 AM

I'm pretty sure David won. The way the cap is styled I'd say it was 1941.

Roger W.

#8 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:00 AM

Regards
Hugh

And I'd bet there's a good chance he won't be buying free drinks this year at Ohio for the underbidder what drove up the price...

-d

$5,000+ range was a reasonable bid to try and win this set so the underbidder put in a good bid. I can't believe how many people thought 2-3,000 even reasonable last minute snipes. Then, again, most people wouldn't have a feel for what this set was worth.

Roger W.

#9 PatM

PatM

journeyman

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:01 AM

Extremely nice set, and won at what I consider to be a fair price. I'm sure the winner will enjoy it. If only it could be shown over drinks in Ohio. Maybe the winner could pay extra for expedited delivery.

Best,
Pat

#10 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:32 AM

Extremely nice set, and won at what I consider to be a fair price. I'm sure the winner will enjoy it. If only it could be shown over drinks in Ohio. Maybe the winner could pay extra for expedited delivery.

Best,
Pat

I would not be surprised if the buyer is trying for expedited shipping, but it would not surprise if the owner wants to ship Registered not Overnight.

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#11 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:39 AM

Express mail offers, insurance, signature, and speed ;)

#12 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:41 AM

Roger's Crest Masterpiece "In honor of" pen is a gem, and I appreciate having had the chance to examine it at both a pen show and at our Janesville WI pen club meetings.

I would argue the set (beyond being pen and pencil, and beyond having solid gold barrels, too) is a smidge of a notch up the Sheaffer food chain, if such things even matter at this lofty level.

Crests (hourglass gripping section, threads at tip of section) are well known with metal caps, indeed the metal cap is part of the model definition. Gold capped pens (Crest Masterpiece) turn up not rarely, though of course nearly always without the "honor" cartouche. Roger's pen is the only "Honor" Crest I've seen.

But, this set is not Crest. It is Balance. Solid Gold Balances are remarkably rare to begin with. To find a Balance Masterpiece Honor set is icing on a tasty cake. Might call it the Imperial Coronet of the Balance series. Of course finding one in white metal would be nice too...

Whoever got it is a lucky fellow indeed. Still, I suspect he'll show it about once it arrives in mail...

-d

Posted Image

#13 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:49 AM

Roger's Crest Masterpiece "In honor of" pen is a gem, and I appreciate having had the chance to examine it at both a pen show and at our Janesville WI pen club meetings.

I would argue the set (beyond being pen and pencil, and beyond having solid gold barrels, too) is a smidge of a notch up the Sheaffer food chain, if such things even matter at this lofty level.

Crests (hourglass gripping section, threads at tip of section) are well known with metal caps, indeed the metal cap is part of the model definition. Gold capped pens (Crest Masterpiece) turn up not rarely, though of course nearly always without the "honor" cartouche. Roger's pen is the only "Honor" Crest I've seen.

But, this set is not Crest. It is Balance. Solid Gold Balances are remarkably rare to begin with. To find a Balance Masterpiece Honor set is icing on a tasty cake. Might call it the Imperial Coronet of the Balance series. Of course finding one in white metal would be nice too...

Whoever got it is a lucky fellow indeed. Still, I suspect he'll show it about once it arrives in mail...

-d

David;

When you get it - let us know.

Roger W.

#14 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

Regards
Hugh

And I'd bet there's a good chance he won't be buying drinks this year at Ohio for the underbidder what drove up the price...

-d

Well, congratulations David....some what belated as I'd already a fair inkling of the new owner!!

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#15 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:40 PM

Best,
Pat

There does appear to be a chance the set will arrive with the new owner tomorrow..

-d

Posted Image

#16 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

journeyman

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationShorewood

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

I have seen Rogers pen as well. Perhaps I will get to see yours
Jerry

#17 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

Wow David,

Congrats on the beautiful gold pen Posted Image

#18 sexauerw

sexauerw

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:29 AM

Congratulations, David. I drooled all over my keyboard when I saw the auction, but I knew better than to attempt a bid on that one. I sure thought about it though.

#19 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:38 AM

Congratulations, David. I drooled all over my keyboard when I saw the auction, but I knew better than to attempt a bid on that one. I sure thought about it though.

Great pen indeed, but someone will hafta sell about 30 others to pay for the damn thing.

On other hand, not such a bad thing having the "Imperial Coronet" of Balancedom...

d

Posted Image

#20 Mbyler

Mbyler

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

Will you have it in Ohio?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users