4 replies to this topic

#1 loudkenny

loudkenny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationOshkosh, WI USA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:09 AM

I have some pens that I would like to trade, but I have no idea of how to value them. I have searched EBay completed auctions with no luck. I don't have the time to travel to the nearest 'big show'. Is there a nonEbay price guide somewhere that is reasonably up to date?

Thank you
Ken

#2 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

If you put good pics on this site someone (David?) will give you an idea but bear in mind retail value is vastly different from marketplace. I asked before I put a bid in on E Bay for a Waterman 42 Continental Overlay as I had no idea of prices and I couldn't find 1 like it on completed listings. I got the pen but did not pay over what it was worth. Many of the people on this site buy and sell hundreds of pens and there is always an 'expert' even on brands most of us has never heard of. David I likes his Vacs and Sheaffers and my Pen Hero David Nishimura seems to know everything but never boasts just tells it like it is. By the way it was Procyon who helped me greatly when I snagged my beautiful Waterman and grateful thanks go to him.
Posted Image

Edited by Widget, 14 December 2012 - 09:15 AM.

#3 Pensee

Pensee

journeyman

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

Hi Ken

Good idea for topic. I too am interested in prices as I try to move some "orphan" pens that don't really fit into more focused collecting of Waterman silver overlays.

Example: recently put this pen up for sale at the "big board" for what I thought was reasonable price: 120 bucks. (a similar pen on e-bay-- unrestored sold for about 100)

Posted Image

No interest in it at all. (And here I thought *every* chemistry/engineering student would want at least one Parker & slide rule for college.) ; )

Maybe wrong demographic over there (Lamy Safari Cult? :P) so off to consignment it goes.

Will be interesting to see where this topic goes since facing similar problem-- no completed listings-- for some less common Waterman patterns in gold fill.

--Bruce

#4 Frank(Federalist Pens)

Frank(Federalist Pens)

journeyman

• Members
  • 436 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey (USA)

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:57 PM

Hi Bruce! (Everyone)

The problem is "The Big Board" has lost its' charm as the place to sell pens!
I have seen a total lack of interest in pens, parts, and nibs that I was able to move with no problems prior to the "enhancement" of the classifieds.

I know the economy is not good, but to be sitting on the same items for months is crazy! Even at the height of the downturn in 08/09, the Big Board was the best source to sell pens. Now, I am doing most, if not all of my sales on ebay! I'm glad this is still a hobby for me, and I am not counting on pen sales for a living!

Frank

"When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"  (Federalist Frank)

We sell quality, known brands at reasonable prices!!

(Use forum code "FPC" to receive an additional discount of 5%!)

http://www.federalistpensonline.com (Online Pen Store)

Like Us on Facebook!

Follow our Group(s) at Linked-In!

#5 Old Griz

Old Griz

journeyman

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • LocationHagerstown, MD

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

Hi Bruce! (Everyone)

The problem is "The Big Board" has lost its' charm as the place to sell pens!
I have seen a total lack of interest in pens, parts, and nibs that I was able to move with no problems prior to the "enhancement" of the classifieds.

I know the economy is not good, but to be sitting on the same items for months is crazy! Even at the height of the downturn in 08/09, the Big Board was the best source to sell pens. Now, I am doing most, if not all of my sales on ebay! I'm glad this is still a hobby for me, and I am not counting on pen sales for a living!

Frank

Another problem is some "expert buyers" who are claiming that you can buy all the 51s you want on eBay for $50 or less. That makes it hard to sell a good pen at a fair market value....
Tom
Posted Image
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users