22 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

I enjoyed posting this topic last year, and even better this year that today, everyone is under the weather. Well, it is that time again, to close the books on 2012, welcome in 2013. I sat back and reviewed all the pens I added to the collection this year, and was sorta amazed on two fronts. First, the amount of pens I added, and second the fact that I missed everything on my list...

For those that don't remember here is my wish list for 2012....

Wahl Eversharp deco band in woodgrain MHR
RHR Duofold senior early model golden girdle
CHerry Red flattop Sheaffer secretary
Buckskin DJ parker 51
Conklin Crescent filler 75 size
Blue, Black, Green, Silver Long Major Vacumatics
Golden Web Vacumatic
Wahl RHR OS greek Key engraved
Waterman Ink Vue Copper Ray deluxe
Chilton Lizard Pencil (match pen)
OS Chilton Wingflow set black (inlay not important)
Sheaffer Snorkel in periwinkel (cap and barrel)

not a single item... lol..

Anyway, not to complain, 2012 was a pretty good year, You can judge for yourself....

Posted Image

Parker Duofold Senior Streamlined in Black. I got this from one of my infrequent pickers, who had a bag of pens. This was the only problem free piece in the bag. There were a few beat up 51's and later watermans, a pearl and black senior duofold that was evenly and horribly discolored. Oh, and a 456, that had more problems than I could name, and a huge price to match, Strange thing, my picker didn't care too much for this one, other than that spot of wear on the clip ball, it is pristine in every respect,.

Green three band Vacumatic. This one is an upgrade from my old example. This thing has the most unbelievable barrel clarity I ever saw. It was bought missing everything except the cap and barrel, Luckily I had enough parts to put this one back. I don't enjoy project pens, but I certainly find enough of them.

Golden pearl/brown shadowave lockdown. The lockdown shaddowaves aredefinitely less common than the later ones. This one again was too clean to pass up. It was missing the blind cap, but I had one last replacement blind cap in black. beautiful clarity, the pen was just too nice to get rid of. i had two more of these this past year, and conditionwise, those helped me make the decision to keep this one.

Burgundy Marble lockdown vac. I bought one of these early in the year, that had issues, then I warped the barrel. I couldn't find a barrel, so I sent it to the parts bin. While walking thru my usual hunts on a Sunday morning, one of the vendors I know, called me over and said, "you still do old pens?" and I said "yeah", so he presented me two of these, exactly the same, I think they were left over store stock, they showed no signs of being inked. The second one showed signs of slight staining, where it sat on something, and I ended up selling it. This one was too clean, so I kept this one.

Dusty Rose duofold (I believe) this is an exceptional pen in great condition. I bought this one for resale, but ended up finding that the name engraved was a local <2 miles away business man who impacted the community in the most positive way. I don't care for names on pens too much, but this one had such a local connection, that I kept it. One thing I will say for sure, Is I certainly dislike his taste in fine fine fine point nibs.

First year (or pre-production) 51 in gray. This pen came to me right at the beginning of the year. It is a strange one, the cap does not fit any of my other first year 51's, the material is a hue dfferent than my other gray first year, and nothing on the pen seems usual. I found it without a blind cap, one of my friends in the pen community helped me complete it. They examined the pen, and said quite possibly, it might be what I said it was. I bought this from a new picker to me in 2012, they bought me some good stuff over the last year, very infrequent, but often enough. It was in a bulk lot.

First year 51 in black. Weird, I started off the year wanting another wedding band 51, and here I ended up with three of them this year. I bought this from a real tough to deal with vendor. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, to name the price on the group of pens I picked out, and almost passed out when he came back with a realistic number. Sometimes it works out like that, go figure. I needless to say, paid, and left quickly. Don't ask... he has gotten the better of me many times before. Nice clean pen.

First year 51 in cordovan. I got this in trade/barter from a certain young but supremely knowledgeable fellow at the DC pen show. Great pen, condition is superb. I wrote with this one for a bit, I think I swapped caps around, or something, but I know I did put in an english 51 double broad, that is fun to write with.

Last quarter 1941 gray 51. weird pen in every respect. I didn't touch this one, and the same fellow above, offered that it was all correct. Plastic jewels, filler, and imprint on cap at bottom, nice clean survivor, with the plating coming off slight, I left it alone. My picker that got me the green vac, the shadowave, the dust rose, and this. He also picked some of the early parkers too. more to come.

Posted Image

Mont Blanc 149 well, whats a year without one? this one came to me in a group from a gold and silver dealer. I bought it in plans to resell it, but it wrote too nice. It was worthy enough to even put in the finds of the year. I have a tendancy to get rid of these too soon, once I find one I like. we'll hold on to this one for a bit.

Mont Blanc III-c. my first ever vintage mont blanc find. I found this while viewing an auction one Monday, as I wa going to pick up a graphos set I saw for a certain pelican lover. I did not know much about it, figuring I would have to pay thru the roof for it, I even called work saying I might be late. Needless to say, this one went for next to nothing, and I was in disbelief when I was high bid. great solid pen, lacking the proper warranted nib. I would love to find it, if you know of one, let me know.

Sheaffer GF metal set. This set is so super clean, that I could not resist. I think I outright bought this set, and had to spring for lunch even, from an old time friend. I felt it was undervalued, but it was so attractive, I had to get it. I really like these as well, clean is the word, not a lot to choose from, and fewer that are ding and dent, and brassing free.

Sheaffer pre white dot Lifetime pen, in BCHR, real clean pen. I really fell in love with early sheaffer after I bought that #8 self filler last year, and needed to find more. clean early pens are hard to find, especially in the OS models. This one was one of my two purchases at the Baltimore show.

Project Waterman 56 woodgrain/mottled I have a hard time calling this one woodgrain, it certainly qualifies for mottled. I bought this one afew weeks ago, and besides being a solid project, it is quite striking, in terms of color and pattern. I got all the parts to make it right, just need to practice with staking the clip rivets. I do like the pen, it was bought right, that's why I sorta kept it.

Waterman 56 in cardinal. Here is one that I hesitated in buying originally, then finally closed the deal, the second time it came along. it has a fatal flaw, the cap has a tight crack above the clip, which is not entirely uncommon. I don't clip it in my pocket, but treat it as a user. earlier in the year, I let a pen buddy buy one for $120, that had no issues, albeit light plating wear. he deserved to have it. This one writes great. I originally bought it for a parts pen for above, but did not have the heart to sacrifice the clip for it. Since then, I secured a pocket clip.

Waterman 452 Sheraton pattern. I now have owned a few of these in this pattern, and this one is superb. the last few had issues, this is the firsrt problem free one I had. I got this one early morning from my picker from MD, he turned up a few pens, and this came home. You get some pens that seem too clean to part with. Nice clean pens are hard to come by.

Waterman Ink Vue Set in silver. this set is as every bit as nice as that new never inked example I had last year, and traded away. This set is a super early example, has the emblems on cap and barrel, and the slip fit section. crystal clear clarity, I am not even sure it was inked. Again way to go for clean pens. I heard about this one from a friend of a friend, and got it for a fair price, considering the condition, no bargain tho.

Posted Image

Parker 1 in mottled hard rubber. Here is a pen that I picked up at the Philly show last year. I think I bought this just to buy something. It is a clean pen, and in great shape, it just happened along, and i think I really started liking it more, after I filled the gaps in the years a bit in the case where it resides.

Parker 20 in mottled hard rubber. This was a part of a lot I bought beginning of the year, had some great pens in it, along with the 42 1/2 below. I was surprised to have my picker toss me a bag with all of these great pens in it. He was more surprised when I asked how much for all of them. Sometimes you have a great day.

Parker 42 1/2 wasn't even sure what model this was until I saw it from my picker. This one had an accomodation clip on it, saw little use, but has some fade. The chasing is nice, but I figured I am not going to touch it. All correct pen, it was bought as a lot.

Posted Image

Cream and Bronze OS chilton Long Island. I was looking at 5 star pens website for some Lebouef and Carters parts, and happened across this pen. Admittedly, it has a few flaws in the material, but one of them is not discoloration. This is an upgrade for the one in my collection. One of these days, I am going to get around to fixing the few cracks, that are not too easy to notice, I got a new old stock cap that has damage, that will yield the material.

Carnelian (Chartreuse and red vein) I got this one at the DC show. I did not expect to ever find one better than the one in my collection. This is my favorite color chilton. bar none. I have a long history with chiltons in this color. Someone on this board stopped me at the DC show to show me a folder of outstanding pens. I couldn't even tell you what was in the folder, this pen drew my eyes. As I was told it was not for sale, I find that remark a challenge. I needed to own this pen, so the owenr came up with a price and I tried to customarily haggle, but in the end we came to an agreement. Honest to say, if the economy was not so bad and it was years ago when I was heavily buying chiltons, the price would have been much higher. This is the grail pen to my entire chilton collection. I can only say that the picture does not do the color justice. Oh, and it writes great to, but only imagine that I don't fill it or write with it.

Green marble wingflow (from the Swann Auction, formerly Bill Baisden collection, and before that I owned it) Yeah, this one came back home. I originally bought it on eBay, right ater I bought a cherry red wingflow (that coincidentally was sold to Bill, then sold at Swann) this pen came from the Buck, in Southern Lancaster County, about 30 miles from where I live. I went and picked it up, nice folks. I figured what i paid for it then and sold it to Bill for, then paid to get it back, I am ahead by less thna $2, but hey, I loved this pen, and glad it is back home.

Private brand lever fill chilton. These are hard to find, not pricey, but hard to find. They are not recognized for who made them. I have several examples, only one Chi Lever, but the rest follow the rules. This one was a casual find at the DC pen show. I bought this with the OS non white dot Sheaffer, same person who has high quality pens. after bought it, I explained it to them what it was. I like these, it fits into the chilton story well, actually better than the seth crocker pens.

Pearl and Black veined pencil. bought this one week, and then bought the pen the next. The pen was basically parts, but the pencil was super clean. came from the same estate, two different pickers. Weird how that happens.

reflecting back, I am happy with the way the year played out. I had a lot of pens pass thru my hands, and was fortunate that these got to stay for a while. I have no regrets on not finding stuff on my list. Technically, I did own a golden web, but it was the short model, and just was not what I wanted to keep. For all of those who helped along the way in buying my inventory, and furthering my ability to buy fine pens, thank you. I hope everyone has a great 2013. Oh, and for a wishlist, I think I am just going to see what happens long this year. no pressure.

Feel free to share what you got this year too!

Best!
RIck

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

Nice post n' pics, Rick.

WIll be a bit before i can tackle finds this year. In fact, really no way to do it. Too many pens. Too many pen collections. I'll post some highlights next week I hope.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 George

George

journeyman

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

I bough and sold more pens than ever this year, though I only added four monster pens and one pencil to my collection. I also added 6 truly stunning desk bases to my collection, so 2012 will be know for me as the Year of the Desk Base. I will take pictures tomorrow when there is some natural light.

Regards,
George

#4 Frank(Federalist Pens)

Frank(Federalist Pens)

journeyman

• Members
  • 436 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey (USA)

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:37 AM

Happy New Year!!

I did pretty good- I spent about $200 this year on what I kept! I sold the majority of the Estie nibs I have left
(the ebay prices will probably keep me out of that game for now!). The funny thing is I still have a lot of Sheaffer pens yet to sell! Keep an eye open around the pen forums- I will probably do a BOGO like I used to do over at the "Big Board" (just not there anymore!). ;)

Regards,
Frank

"When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"  (Federalist Frank)

We sell quality, known brands at reasonable prices!!

(Use forum code "FPC" to receive an additional discount of 5%!)

http://www.federalistpensonline.com (Online Pen Store)

Like Us on Facebook!

Follow our Group(s) at Linked-In!

#5 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

Pens acquired during 2012 that I haven't sold yet. The highlights.

Parker from L to R:
Empire set, Fishscale set, Mandarin Streamline Senior, OS Vac, 24, Fine Silver Filigree.
Posted Image

Sheaffer
Fern snorkel, Off catalog cap band Balance, OS Balance.
Posted Image

Waterman, a 56 and 94 rose. The 56's nib is a factory triple broad stub, it is like a paint brush.
Posted Image

#6 plmadding

plmadding

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationWichita, KS

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:13 AM

Hi Gang,

This probably is my most favorite topic of the year. I love to see all of the fantastic pens that other people have been able to get their hands on, as well as remember some of the pens I appreciated buying the most.

Posted Image

Notes on the not so obvious things:

1. Yes I do have the cap for the Duofold 2. The Parker 51 has 14k clip and bottom tassie. 3. Yes all of those Vacumatic cap bands are perfect. (The lockdown Jr's are the only Vacs I care anything for.)
)

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Conklins are extremely close to perfect. No brassing on the bands or clips. The 752 is the one with my initials, PLM.

#7 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

Nice stuff guys! At least my focus is good, seems we all share a similar trend, 51's, senior duofolds, early waterman, and those lockdown vacs! With the Philly pen show one week away, exciting to see where I start the new year!

#8 George

George

journeyman

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

Here are my deskbases of 2012. The borzoi and the elk are Waterman, the first year 51 base, the bull and bear, and the owl are Parker. All are bronze, even the 51 base (pretty sure it is sheet bronze).

Regards,
George

Posted Image

#9 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

I was a little surprised at the number of pens I had acquired in 2012. I guess that explains what happened to my bank account. :P The last four pictures were shown before in a mid-year review, but I thought I would include them to show the complete set of pens I added to my collection in 2012. Anyway, here they are:

Posted Image

Parker 51 Demi set in Plum, Wahl Silver-Filled Two-Tone Metal pen, Wahl-Eversharp Doric set in Morocco, Wahl-Eversharp pencil, Conklin Nozac Word-Gauge, Parker Sr Streamline set in Jade Green, Waterman 552 1/2 filigree overlay in solid gold, Wahl-Eversharp Doric in Morocco.

Posted Image

Wahl-Eversharp Doric in Burma, Wahl-Eversharp Doric set in Honey with Green veins (don't really know what the color is called), Aikin-Lambert Sleeve-Filler Overlay, Conklin Endura Sr set in green, Waterman 515 filigree overlay in solid gold, Waterman 442 Safety filigree overlay, Conklin Crescent-Filler filigree overlay, Waterman 92V in bronze, brown, and green.

Posted Image

Parker 51 in Buckskin Beige, Waterman 55 in red and black HR Woodgrain pattern, Waterman 454 Sterling Silver Set in Night and Day pattern, Waterman 452 1/2 filigree, Waterman 0554 Set in filigree overlay, Waterman #7 Emerald Ray lever-filler.

Posted Image

Parker Striped Duofold Sr. in Blue, Waterman Rose Ripple pencil 52V size, Parker Black & Pearl Roller Ball (matches pen, pencil, and ballpoint I already have), Waterman Crusader Ball Point and Fountain Pen, Waterman 0552 Sheraton Set, Waterman 55 Red Ripple with Thimble Top Crown, Parker Sr. Flat Top Set in Mandarin Yellow.

Posted Image

Parker Jotter 1st Model - Turquoise and Coral, Waterman 94 Blue and Cream, Waterman 452 Filigree, Waterman 452 Sheraton, Waterman 0512 1/2 PSF Oriental, Parker True Blue Streamline, Waterman 94 BCHR with 9 kt barrel overlay, Sheaffer Statesman 1000 set in Carmine Red.

Posted Image

Sheaffer 350 in Rose Glow, Waterman 72 1/2 BCHR, Waterman #7 Green, Sheaffer Royal Selangor SE, Parker Streamline Duofold Special Lapis, Waterman 494 Bay Leaf, Waterman 454 Set Pansy Panel, Parker 51 Navy Grey, Conklin Sr. pencil Sapphire Blue.

Posted Image

Parker 51 Yellowstone (2 of them), Parker 51 Set in Buckskin Brown, Parker Thriftime in Blue Vein, Wahl-Eversharp Deco Band Set in Rosewood, Sheaffer Triumph nib in Carmine, Wahl-Eversharp BCHR flat top Greek Key pattern.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#10 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:55 AM

Love the bull and bear, I want to find one, who made it, George?

Allan, that was awesome, I kept scrolling and the pens kept coming!!!

I really love this post, in that it is so nice to see the quality pens that are still being found out there and added to collections!

Who's next??? Lol

#11 George

George

journeyman

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:08 AM

The bull and bear base is a Parker Duofold base with streamline tulips, so late 20's early 30's (the right tulip mechanism was busted when I got it). The bull and bear are both signed Austrian bronzes.

Regards,
George

#12 Pensee

Pensee

journeyman

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

Rick, Allen... Heck, all you guys are a tough act to follow...

George, I love the borzoi!

Here's my haul fwiw. Old thermometer & BHR holder count? Why not. Picked it up at an estate sale for ten bucks.

Probably could've had more to show for 2012, but sleeve filler set me back a bit & kept getting out-bid on the bay.

Posted Image

The MHR #12... file under "Oooh! It's pretty!" Matches antique wooden spool from same time period. I use the spool (lined with felt) as a pen holder so the 12 seemed to match. Not focused collecting, but I use it to write checks.

Coin filler was a difficult choice. Ideally, I would've wanted a 412 CF but had to ask myself (and David N.) what are chances of coming across one again if wait? Decided better to have at least one example & hope to find overlay up in Dallas this year.

412ED = e-bay pen & probably nothing extra special-- it's a start for trefoil pattern.

As mentioned, the 412 SF was most of Dallas pen show money that still had since didn't make it up there this year.

412PSF another e-bay pen. A little oxidized, but until I can get a better example...

0552½ kind of an orphan. Got it before deciding to focus on trefoil.

Anyway, fun topic. Enjoyed seeing what everyone else got.

Happy new year everybody!

--Bruce

#13 penpalace

penpalace

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:22 AM

Rick,

Great topic and great pens Rick, George, Allan and all! The scary part if I take a picture is I'll realize just how much money I spent this year, even with the budget strings pulled tight. I'll see if I can post something in the next few days none the less...

Pearce.

#14 John Jenkins

John Jenkins

journeyman

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • LocationDallas

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

Ah yes....end of the year....a time of reflection....a time of optimism for the year ahead....and the mock horror of how many pens were accumulated during the year. ;)

Some 2012 highlights from my collection:

A few additions/upgrades for the Parker Depression collection.

Posted Image

Some how, I acquired two red Modernes. They're typical of the condition you find them in, perhaps a tad better than most. This year, I'd like to thin out the dupes from my collection, so they'll probably hit the market soon.

For some reason, I had a hole in the red Step End section. This quartet came close to filling it. The Step Ends retail price wasn't cheap, and they matched Parker's high-line quality. Combine that with a very short production run, and you'll understand why these are harder and more costly to acquire than many Depressions.

Finally, a nice Duofold knock off in gray and red. This has decent color, but the gray is kind of like jade - so very hard to find perfect examples.

How about some Vacs?

Posted Image

The first is the Stubby with the broken cap that I wrote up in the Repair section. I don't need another red Stubby, but I'd kind of like to keep it because of the repair. But if anyone wants to work a trade for a black or silver Stubby, lets talk!

The next two are a Junior and Slender in green. The Slender is pretty good, but the Junior has great clarity. It's way cool. I'm very happy with it.

The opaque black Vac has a reverse trim. It joins my black reticulated reverse trim - yippee!

The next two are Senior Maxs. Nothing special, but upgrades on poorer quality "place holders" I've also got a bit of a hole in the third gen Max area. The golden pearl Max helps a bit.

The last pen is a Diamond Medal Vac. It was a mess when I got it, but a full bore restoration turned into something I'm happy to have in the collection.

In the "Out of Character" division, take a look at these -

Posted Image

Yep, a slip cap Waterman #20 and a Parker Black Giant. Oh yeah, that's a mint Dunn Society Junior between them. For the record, that's 6 5/8", 3 3/4" and 6 1/2".

Next is a Parker 33 in very nice shape. I don't know why I bought this, cause I'm just not that interested in that era of Parker. Still a cool pen.

A.A. Waterman #30. Poor A.A., he might never have amounted to much more than a small regional maker, but when L.E. slapped him down, he was done for. If you can ignore the gigantic imprint, they're a nice HR pens.

WTF? Yep, that's a Classic LM1. One of Andy Lambrou's creations. It a bute, but what am I doing with a modern pen? Idono, but wow it is a head turner.

OK the rest is combo mania so if you don't care for them, go on to the next post. But if you do enjoy a bit of two way action, enjoy -

Posted Image

The first is a Tarco. You never heard of them, but you do recognize the plastic. Nice quality with a gold nib.

Next a Gold Bond, kind of like the Tarco.

Then a Pick. Kind of boring plastic, but when it's the only one you've found over three years, you grab it.

The next four are Diamond Points. DPs are real fun - close to top four quality, but not nearly as anal about the sanctity of the product line. In Combos, mostly found in these two models, but some other shapes are occasionally found. There's a real spread of colors. I suspect a collector that focused on DP could spend a good chunk of time collecting a ton of colors and models.

The last is a Salz. You don't find these in full size that often. Luckily, it is in great condition too.

Posted Image

The first is a Liberty. Not in great shape, but Kraker combos don't turn up every day.

The next two are Gold Crowns. They're neat in that they're well made and good looking, but hardly anyone knows about them.

The Sager is in kind of sad shape, but eventually, it will get the full treatment. A while back, Pearce posted a pic of a blue and gold Sager that someday I need to talk him out of.

The next two ring tops are Barretts. As far as I know, they're just another brand out of New York. The real interesting thing here is the one with gold plaques. The dark color isn't black but a dark green. It's a really neat color combo that I've not seen before. The picture just can't capture its beauty.

The next two in this group are Marathons. Really nice quality, rivet clips, and the orange one is absolutely mint. What's not to like?

Here's the top dogs -

Posted Image

Without much comment - A Diamond Medal Diplomat, three Conklin Ensembles, a Swan, a Schnell's Penselpen, a Waterman and finally a Wonder. I've got a handful of other Wonders and I was quite happy to add a new color.

Lastly, here are some from the fringes -

Posted Image

The Eagle is a neat find. Eagle was one of the first to mass produce combos. Those eary ones are hard rubber and can be found if sought diligently. Then Eagle produced quite a few plastic combos under the EPENCO brand. This one fits in between. A plastic Eagle. It's yet to be cleaned up, but it's a keeper.

The next three are all hard rubber - a Sweetland, a Dubel Service and a Prosperity.

The last is a Famous. It is plastic that mimics HR and the pencil nozzle indicates it is from early on in the combo era. Good enough to hang on to.

Well that's most of my mischief for the year. Hope I can be as productive in 2013!

Edited by John Jenkins, 06 January 2013 - 05:52 PM.

The poster formerely known as Buzz J

#15 penpalace

penpalace

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

John,

Those are some great pens, and some impressive combos. The Tarco that looks like a Diamond Point with the Chilton plastic is sharp, the green Gold Crown in Conklin plastic is neat, and I can't remember the last time I've seen a Conklin combo in the grey with red/black marble. The Barrett is neat as well, the plastic is the same colour as Grieshaber used, (yes I have one in an 8 size), and I agree that pictures just can't do the plastic justice. I only added one combo this year but it's a beauty!

Pearce.

#16 penpalace

penpalace

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:37 AM

Here is a couple of pictures of my additions. I bought a few pens that are in need of some serious work and some desk pens that are not pictured but given that I have been trying to do more buying for resale I was able to add some nice pieces.

From left to right:
Posted Image
A nassau 51 empire set, the caps are engraved but the caps are free of any dings and the pen has uniform colour
Conklin Endura jade Sr set
PFM I in green with broad stub nib
Chilton Wingflow Sr
Posted Image
LeBoeuf #6 in golden pearl
LeBoeuf #8 in pearl with red veins (thanks to the board member who sold me this one, I'm thrilled to be the owner of this rare LeBoeuf)
Waterman Ink-vue deluxe in green pearl
Tabo Trasparente in blue pearl
Schnell Penselpen Sr combo in blue/bronze, this is a weird one, the 1st I've seen in this colour.

#17 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:11 AM

Some nice finds I'm happy with

Posted Image

All Aust. made, the Craftsman set a high point this being the first model (?) made in Aust. and mint to boot . Difficult to find.

Posted Image
From Dasi, the first Australian FP maker. Not the greatest quality but again a rare find in terms of Aust. pens.

Posted Image

Of course the "real" highlight was this reverse trim TM TD. Many reverse trim Snorks turn up but this is by far a rarer pen

Posted Image

A threesome of uncatalogued TM TD Sovereigns, the ball point is new for 2012 and a mint stickered FP to replace the one shown.

Posted Image

A Conklin made "Spencerian", this a full sized pen ( the cap fits Symetricks) and uncommon colour, also acquired a "snakeskin" Endura Symetrik ( could have been last year..) which is likewise hard to find, currently in Ron Zorns pile waiting for him to put a new clip on.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#18 John Jenkins

John Jenkins

journeyman

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • LocationDallas

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:20 AM

Pearce- That Schnell's is a doozy! If you only get one for the year, that's a great choice. I'm green with envy.
JJ
The poster formerely known as Buzz J

#19 BamaPen

BamaPen

journeyman

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

I bought too many pens in 2012 and sold too few, but I am pleased with the examples I added to my collection of Artcraft pens (made in Birmingham, Alabama).
Posted Image
Left to right in order acquired: ca 1932 Jade Green streamlined pen, 1920-25 BHR ringtop, ca 1934 last production Artcraft, 1920-25 BCHR with Z-clip, 1920-25 chased gold filled ringtop pen and pencil, 1925-39 blue/bronze marbled flattop LIFELONG, 1932-34 marbled with patented art deco style design on clip and lever

#20 sexauerw

sexauerw

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

It's been a very good year. Here are January's new pens:
Posted Image

February didn't bring much so I've combined it with March, which brought a real "gem":
Posted Image

April and May are combined in this next group. The Fred Force 10 Targa came from Amazon.com Marketplace for the amazingly low price of $250.
Posted Image

June and July were pretty quiet, nothing noteworthy except for a nice Prelude that I bought from some doctor that we all know:
Posted Image

In August I picked up a couple of mint NOS Parker 25s and an NOS Visconti Ebonite Double-Reservoir Power Filler. The latter from Bryant Greer and it's a wonderful writer.
Posted Image

In September I attended the Dallas Pen Show. Everything I bought that month I bought at the show:
Posted Image

October and November were quiet in terms of numbers, but a couple of outstanding pens. The Delta 365 was from Bill Riepl and the Classic Pens ZJ2 Prototype was from Andy Lambrou.
Posted Image

December looks more active than it was, there were only two purchases. The Prestige Burgundy Targa was a solo purchase and everything else was a lot. I'll do a separate post on the lot, I think I can claim sumgai on that one.
Posted Image

Note that the first and last pens of the year were both Prestige Targas. The last one completed my set, I now have Classic FP, Slim FP and BP in all three colors of the series. I had been looking for those two pens for quite a while.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users