#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:56 AM

Hi,

Picked up this seemingly worn Maki-E pen.

The bottom of pen marked only "Made in Japan".

Lever has an "N"

no nib.

Decent preservation of barrel, though I'm guessing somewhat faded. Cap is black, though hint of color fleck here and there (not clear if just schmutz or if original color on cap).

Posted Image

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 Jiffypens

Jiffypens

journeyman

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 04:37 AM

Looks to be an early Namiki, is there an artist's signature?

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 25 September 2010 - 04:54 AM

Looks to be an early Namiki, is there an artist's signature?

None that I can see. But, cap does show signs of having had color once. Looks to be worn. The "N" is for Namiki?

d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#4 pendumb

pendumb

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:02 AM

[quote name='david i' date='24 September 2010 - 09:54 PM' timestamp='1285390458' post='2071']
None that I can see. But, cap does show signs of having had color once. Looks to be worn. The "N" is for Namiki?

d

I would also guess it is a Namiki, pre-WW2, but I don't recall ever seeing 1 with that logo on the lever. The logo does look somewhat like the logos used on the barrels of Namiki/Pilot pens. Does it have a nib and feed? If it does, do you have a pic to post of it?

#5 Jiffypens

Jiffypens

journeyman

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:28 PM

I would definitely say it is a pre-WW2 namiki. I have a pencil that has a near identical pattern on the barrel of this pen. If only the paint was better on the cap, then it would be easily identified!

Either way it is a beauty! Posted Image

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:30 PM

I would also guess it is a Namiki, pre-WW2, but I don't recall ever seeing 1 with that logo on the lever. The logo does look somewhat like the logos used on the barrels of Namiki/Pilot pens. Does it have a nib and feed? If it does, do you have a pic to post of it?

Unfortunately, the pen is nibless.

-d

Posted Image

#7 Jiffypens

Jiffypens

journeyman

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:47 PM

Heres another ladies namiki from an online site, note the same lever.

Posted Image

#8 pen-sitedave

pen-sitedave

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:57 PM

Hi All,

Sorry I missed this.(I've been building my new web sitefor awhile. (very close) Anyway, I'vehad a similar pen a long time ago. It'sobviously pre-war. It may have had a "Pilot" nib. A"Namiki" nib would have been '28-'30, but after the Dunhill Namiki deal,everything for the Asian Market had Pilot clips and nibs. The lever always wasNamiki (N) This could also be a DunhillNamiki. I think this is probably the wrong cap. The Barrel is a grade A piece.It's highly unlikely that the cap was plain Urushi like the one on it now.Considering the barrel, I'm leaning toward Dunhill Namiki.

It is not unusualto have pens that are unsigned. (The art speaks for itself).

That's one man's opinion. A tip of the "HATLOHAT" to Bill Weakley for sending me this. I've been under a rock with mycomputer for awhile.

I'll see everyone at the NY show, and Ohio.

Happy Fall,

Dave Ushkow

www.pen-site.comAttached File  bridge-fpn.gif   43.79KB   4 downloads

#9 stan

stan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:24 PM

There are two similar pens (not the same design - similar in style of artwork and shape of pen) in the 1st edition of Nakazono's FPOTW, pages 120 and 121. Nakazono dates them as 1925 and 1922, respectively. Lambrou has a similar model on page 360. These predate Dunhill-Namiki and are some of the earliest makie pens made. Now the bad news. It appears the cap is a replacement. Makie pens invariably came with makie on the cap and barrel. Yours does not have a complementary, let alone any, design on the cap. As best I can tell from the photographs the sheen of the lacquer is different too.

Stan
First-time lurker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users