• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Will

Will

journeyman

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:45 AM

Something about the shape and proportions of the clipped versions of this pen really attracts me to it. Anyone know if they are suitable for daily use? Also, are the clipped versions worth more than the ring top versions?

Thanks!

Will

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:53 AM

Something about the shape and proportions of the clipped versions of this pen really attracts me to it. Anyone know if they are suitable for daily use? Also, are the clipped versions worth more than the ring top versions?

Thanks!

Will

Hi,

Clip pens generally are seen today as more desirable than ring tops, though there are exceptions. They are small pens but posted are quite functional.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 Will

Will

journeyman

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:07 AM

Thanks!

Will

Hi,

Clip pens generally are seen today as more desirable than ring tops, though there are exceptions. They are small pens but posted are quite functional.

regards

david

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. It seems quite hard to find the ones with a clip! And pricing seems to be all over the place...some people sell discolored ones for under $200, but some sell ones with clips for $500 or even $600! Is the section just as thick as the Junior sized model?

#4 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:12 AM

Will, the clip on the vest Duofolds is the same as the small streamlined Parker pastels or thrift pens, so you can take a clip from one of those and put it on a ring-top vest pocket for every day use.

The section on the vest pockets is smaller than the Junior, Juniorette or Lady, so you can't do anything there. If the pricing isn't right for you and you could live with a slightly larger pen, you could go with a streamlined Juniorette, which is basically a Lady with a pocket clip.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

Will, the clip on the vest Duofolds is the same as the small streamlined Parker pastels or thrift pens, so you can take a clip from one of those and put it on a ring-top vest pocket for every day use.

The section on the vest pockets is smaller than the Junior, Juniorette or Lady, so you can't do anything there. If the pricing isn't right for you and you could live with a slightly larger pen, you could go with a streamlined Juniorette, which is basically a Lady with a pocket clip.

And, the Juniorette, though a longer pen than Vest Pocket, will cost drastically less.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#6 Will

Will

journeyman

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

And, the Juniorette, though a longer pen than Vest Pocket, will cost drastically less.

regards

david

I know the cost would be drastically less, but it isn't really the same for me.
Thanks for the clip swap information...would it be considered "incorrect" to swap a clip though? Did Parker ever change the die for them?

#7 Nick A

Nick A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:16 AM

Thanks!

Will

I've used my lapis Duofold VP ringtop on occasion, as well as an old European clone that is nearly identical. It's a darn small pen. Most useful for a signature, a check or jotting yourself a note. Think about how long you'd want to write with a wooden golf pencil and that's about right. I can't even imagine using it without posting the cap unless you have a very unusual grip.

#8 Will

Will

journeyman

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:25 AM

Thanks!

Will

I've used my lapis Duofold VP ringtop on occasion, as well as an old European clone that is nearly identical. It's a darn small pen. Most useful for a signature, a check or jotting yourself a note. Think about how long you'd want to write with a wooden golf pencil and that's about right. I can't even imagine using it without posting the cap unless you have a very unusual grip.

Thanks for the info! I hate posting pens, but maybe this one works only when you post it, as you said. I would probably keep one in my pocket for that kind of uses, and have my "normal" pens in a case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users