9 replies to this topic

#1 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

Can you guys help me identify this pen by the overlay? It's not marked, but it does have a Wirt nib in it. I know it's a long shot, but I appreciate any help.

Posted Image

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

Can you guys help me identify this pen by the overlay? It's not marked, but it does have a Wirt nib in it. I know it's a long shot, but I appreciate any help.

Hi Brian,

The trefoil-ish design looks to be part of a quality pen. It very well could be a Wirt, though I hardly insist, as this is not a zone on which I focus.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 wekiva98

wekiva98

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:56 AM

There's a Wirt pen that looks pretty much like yours on Page 299 of Fischler and Schneider's big Blue Book. They date it at around 1908. So it's a good starting guess that the nib matches the pen. There undoubtedly are Wirt experts out there who could help, but I don't know any.

#4 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:30 AM

Thanks, guys. I was hoping the sets of double lines at the tops and bottoms of the filigrees might help identifying the manufacturer.

#5 Nick A

Nick A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:39 AM

Thanks, guys. I was hoping the sets of double lines at the tops and bottoms of the filigrees might help identifying the manufacturer.

This article may be of interest as it discusses this very pen, with a photo. http://andersonpens....en-show-report/

#6 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

I'm now pretty convinced that the bulk of this pen is a Wirt product. I found one just like it on David Nishimura's sales pages as well. However, it does not have a proper Wirt feed, which is a shame, because the vented feed would be really cool. There's not a speck of brassing anywhere on the overlay. Except for the lack of a hallmark, this thing looks like it's solid gold. And while I don't normally go for pens with personal engravings, this one has a really beautifully done "HR Jr." engraved in it that I think adds to the beauty of the pen. It would be a great candidate for re-blackening if I supported the practice.

#7 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

I don't know if I've ever seen a filigree in solid gold - too soft. I would venture it is gold filled.

Roger W.

#8 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

I don't know if I've ever seen a filigree in solid gold - too soft. I would venture it is gold filled.

Roger W.

Not real sure exactly what you mean Roger. If you mean solid 24K, you don't see much of anything in that - except gold coins and bars. If you mean solid gold alloy, then here are three of my filigree pens in solid 14K gold - so those are fairly common. I don't know if Wirt made any, however.

Bottom to Top: Waterman's 515, Waterman's 552 1/2, and a much newer pen - Sheaffer Nostalgia.

Posted Image

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#9 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

I didn't mean to say that I think it is 14K or some other solid gold alloy, but rather meant to comment on my surprise at the lack of wear and how clean it is. I'm pretty sure it's gold fill.

Allan, thanks for sharing your picture. Those are beautiful pens.

Edited by BrianMcQueen, 19 February 2013 - 06:50 PM.

#10 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

Roger W.

Not real sure exactly what you mean Roger. If you mean solid 24K, you don't see much of anything in that - except gold coins and bars. If you mean solid gold alloy, then here are three of my filigree pens in solid 14K gold - so those are fairly common. I don't know if Wirt made any, however.

Bottom to Top: Waterman's 515, Waterman's 552 1/2, and a much newer pen - Sheaffer Nostalgia.

Posted Image

Fair enough. My experience is limited to Sheaffer (pre modern) and Boston. I'm not familiar with either having used 14K solid for a filigree. I must say I admire Waterman's daring all the more now. I knew they did a lot in RHR which is impressive as Sheaffer avoided it like the plague.

Roger W.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users