• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Deb

Deb

journeyman

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:30 AM

Glad to hear that you're finding the blog helpful, Claire. The Marshall & Oldfield book is excellent and covers most situations.

#22 cedargirl

cedargirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

Glad to hear that you're finding the blog helpful, Claire. The Marshall & Oldfield book is excellent and covers most situations.

A chance to thank you in person!
Yes, it's a great resource on pen fixing and vintage UK pens. Lots of very useful info.
I like your no nonsense no hype approach. Thanks for all your efforts in making this information available.

------------------------
Claire

#23 Deb

Deb

journeyman

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

Thank you for your kind words, Claire. The blog keeps me busy and out of trouble (mostly).

#24 Paul M

Paul M

journeyman

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:55 PM

A English Parker 51, I assume you are UK based.

If you are contemplating repairs / restoration like this then you would do well to join WES (Writing Equipment Society). In addition to good newsletters, and valuable contacts, they run a three day repair course that is both cheap and comprehensive.

Hi Paul. I would love to do a three day course, but alas, I'm not UK based and it would be a long trip for me. I'm an Aussie. Lots of UK pens here!

I only started buying pens to restore very recently - I have Marshall & Oldfield and Dubiel's book. I'm scouring the web for the good stuff too. I've bought a few tools and I'm starting easy with some lever-fills that only require a sac replacement - mostly UK brands - CS, Mentmore, Onoto. I'm finding Deb's Goodwriter's blog useful.
I had put aside my single P51 and a Snorkel for later.

BTW - I have a nice hard rubber Summit (175) in need of some love! I'm assuming it was your web site I used to identify it as a Mk I. Am I right? It is a great site. Now I'm keeping my eye open for more Summits. It wasn't a brand I was aware of until I picked this one up in a mixed lot.

Claire

WES might still be a good idea, I believe they are about to launch a webcast class for its overseas members. Drop Ian Williamson at Cathedral Pens an email, he can provide full details.

Yep the Summit site is my effort (when I have time to keep it up to date). The S.175 is a good quality pen (but the black ones are rather conservative)

Paul

#25 cedargirl

cedargirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:33 AM

WES might still be a good idea, I believe they are about to launch a webcast class for its overseas members. Drop Ian Williamson at Cathedral Pens an email, he can provide full details.

Yep the Summit site is my effort (when I have time to keep it up to date). The S.175 is a good quality pen (but the black ones are rather conservative)

Paul

And what's wrong with black?? (mock indignation!) I'm rather found of it - it's my only chased BHR pen. I quite like the quiet elegance of a decent black pen and this one has a nice flexy nib. Not that I can write with flex, but I like the springiness of a soft nib when writing.

Re WES - Brilliant. I'll certainly contact Ian. Thank you.

Thanks for the Summit website. I am truly grateful to anyone who takes the time to maintain such a useful resource.

------------------------
Claire

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users