#1 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

Hi All,

I´ve decided to participate more in FPB. Its a place that I like and its a good match for my collecting likes. i collect only vintage until 1960 pens and focus on German piston fillers, Vacumatiscs, Balances and Nozacs.

I´ve been trying to post some pictures of my pens here I have been having the following some problems. I can only post pictures if I upload them first to the Gallery. This is time consuming and not very practical as I have my pictures in Dropbox, Skydrive or Sugarsync.

I have been creating some threads but when I try to put a picture using the Insert image tool from the editor ( using the URL from one of those online storage cloud places I referred) I always get the same error message:
You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board.

I get this message only when I press the post new topic button, because when I am qriting the ponst the images show up as they should, but after pressing the preview or post I get that message, the pictures disappear and I get the following type of line instead of the picture that was supposed to be there:

https://photos-1.dro...0?size=1024x768

I end up for uploading the pictures one by one to the gallery and then use the URL from there to put the pictures in the threads using the insert image tool on the editor. That is so far for me the only way to do it.

Questions:

• Does FPB accepts images stored in Dropbox, Skydrive and Sugarsync, or I need to use another external hosting services?
  • If I need to use other which one will work??

I am afraid I will use very quickly the space available in my member FPB gallery...

"Stupid proof" help explanations would be appreciated... I am not very handy with this... but I would love to give my small contribute to further develop this great forum, specially the Europe sub-forum.

David: I promise I will not replace my pen pictures for more "eye catching ones"

Best regards

Vasco

Best regards
Vasco

simbolo-e-nomesmall2_zps47c0db08.jpg

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

#2 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:04 PM

FPB gallery I think gives you 25 megabytes of storage.

You should be able to use other things though. I have personally used photobucket. Another option would be flickr. Are you sure that your external hosting services allow you to share things?

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:09 PM

Hi guys,

FPB welcomes externally hosted images. They should end in .jpg

Some hosting sites have barriers to easy posting in Forums.

Too, the downside of some external hosting (vs using your own hosted space, as I do with my Vacumania.com) is that pics are purged after a time or d/t limited space at the free host. Then images in some of our complicated threads go bye-bye.

Are your external host pics ending in .jpg? Perhaps you storage site is modifying them

regards

d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#4 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

Your example there is a secure web site (note: it begins with https:// instead of http://). Either your host website or this website software may not allow that. I always use Gallery, after reduced the image size to a max of 800 pixels horizontally. However, I will try it from Flickr! and see what happens:

Posted Image

Seems to work for me.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#5 Christof Z

Christof Z

journeyman

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • LocationConfoederatio Helvetica

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:41 AM

I can highly recommend flickr. It's a well designed site and lots of pen People are there too. My main collection is cataloged there : My collection on Flickr

You just have to choose a picture size and right click on the pic and copy the Picture adress which can be filed in here under the Picture Icon.

But I also appreciate the Gallery of this board with its generous storage.

#6 Marsilius

Marsilius

journeyman

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:08 AM

1367991688[/url]' post='24852']
I can highly recommend flickr. It's a well designed site and lots of pen People are there too. My main collection is cataloged there : My collection on Flickr

You just have to choose a picture size and right click on the pic and copy the Picture adress which can be filed in here under the Picture Icon.

But I also appreciate the Gallery of this board with its generous storage.

And you have nice photos of a cool collection there, Christof.

#7 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:47 AM

It may be the secure website thing. I am not using the public folder in Dropbox, sugarsink or Skydrive. Lets me try here to test that theory:

Posted Image

YES, i got it!!!!

Its not the https, but is the fact that I was using private folders in cloud drives. The folders to use must be the public ones in order to work!!

Thanks guys!!

Edited by piscov, 08 May 2013 - 08:50 AM.

Best regards
Vasco

#8 PointyThings

PointyThings

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

This might help:

http://fountainpencl...ng-help-wanted/

I hope it isn't out of date, but the basics should be close, since both FPC and FPB use the same software.

--Karl

Admin for FountainPenClassifieds.com -- a FREE Buy - Sell - Trade community for pen enthusiasts.

#9 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:54 PM

This might help:

http://fountainpencl...ng-help-wanted/

I hope it isn't out of date, but the basics should be close, since both FPC and FPB use the same software.

--Karl

Thanks Karl! I have manage to do it now!!

Best regards
Vasco

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users