#1 TimGirdler

TimGirdler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationWhere the Waters Fall in "Stonewall"'s Virginia

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

Friends,

I've seen this pen on eBay for some time. It just won't seem to go away. Any thoughts on why the $1,000 price tag is too high and any other observations on the pen?

See here: http://www.ebay.com/...=item27c32faff2

Let the [insert word of choice here] ensue.

-Tim
Tim Girdler Pens (Nib Tuning; Custom Nib Grinding; New & Vintage Pen Sales)
The Fountain Pen: An elegant instrument for a more civilized age
I Write With: Any one of my assortment of Parker "51"s or Vacumatics

#2 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

I am somewhat leery of it because I don't understand why a Mark II would have the Blue Diamond arrow clip on the cap. If there really are any pens that came that way, I would think they would be Mark I pens. Tony's Parker site only shows the later clip (like a striped Duofold clip). I don't know enough about these pens to say that any came with an arrow clip or not, but if they did they should logically be Mark I.

So I'm thinking, it's just a Parker 51 vacumatic cap, in all likelihood. That is if it would fit - and I don't know the answer to that question either. That would seem to make the pen quite overpriced, in my opinion. B)

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

Friends,

I've seen this pen on eBay for some time. It just won't seem to go away. Any thoughts on why the $1,000 price tag is too high and any other observations on the pen?

See here: http://www.ebay.com/...=item27c32faff2

Let the [insert word of choice here] ensue.

-Tim

Welll....

Wrong clip (probably wrong cap), bad nib, bad description, < $100 value if all was well with it.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#4 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:21 PM

Not rare. 51 clip. VS and 51 shared the same lustraloy cap. Really bad nib. Parts value.

#5 TimGirdler

TimGirdler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationWhere the Waters Fall in "Stonewall"'s Virginia

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:00 AM

Believe it or not, I've emailed the seller (through eBay) and he was not very receptive to some friendly advice. Shocking, isn't it? If you look at his other pens, many of them are are ridiculously priced as well--including Esties for $100+.

He's also selling a "51" with a cordovan body and a black shell and a black blind cap. The frankenpen is listed for $150.

Still, I can't imagine anyone, except for one from the ranks of whom are born every minute, paying the $1,000 for a VS with a trashed nib, much less a "51" cap.

So...buyer beware!

Tim

Edited by TimGirdler, 28 May 2013 - 08:01 AM.

Tim Girdler Pens (Nib Tuning; Custom Nib Grinding; New & Vintage Pen Sales)
The Fountain Pen: An elegant instrument for a more civilized age
I Write With: Any one of my assortment of Parker "51"s or Vacumatics

#6 Old Griz

Old Griz

journeyman

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • LocationHagerstown, MD

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:41 AM

Believe it or not, I've emailed the seller (through eBay) and he was not very receptive to some friendly advice. Shocking, isn't it? If you look at his other pens, many of them are are ridiculously priced as well--including Esties for $100+.

He's also selling a "51" with a cordovan body and a black shell and a black blind cap. The frankenpen is listed for $150.

Still, I can't imagine anyone, except for one from the ranks of whom are born every minute, paying the $1,000 for a VS with a trashed nib, much less a "51" cap.

So...buyer beware!

Tim

Tim, you have seen the ones I have... I can give you a much better deal on a VS than that.... LOL
Tom
Posted Image
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users