14 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:57 AM

Just food fer thought. This poor dead Vac started out with... significance.

Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/...=item257ffed980

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:28 AM

that center band looks a little wider....

they didn't make them that long....

#3 Rocco P

Rocco P

journeyman

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • LocationItaly, Rome

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:30 AM

Well, he does sell it for parts and the cap seems good. Probably the filler unit and the blind cap are good too.

--

Rocco

#4 wekiva98

wekiva98

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:14 AM

Too bad to see it broken. It's odd (to me, anyway) how several seniors have popped up for sale in the past few weeks. The others are/were in better shape, however.

#5 Inkysloth

Inkysloth

journeyman

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

This was one posted about recently over on FPN... Hang on, I'll find the link

*scuttles through internet*

*pounces*

http://www.fountainp...vacumatic-help/
My prints and cards: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Inkysloth

#6 TomS

TomS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK Canada

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

I'm not sure it is the same pen. It doesn't look like there is an engraving, the break looks a bit different, and the nib would have had to have been swapped for the Eversharp, etc.

Yes, that makes at least three seniors in the last little while. This one could still be used for parts, if someone had a spare barrel. Was there another model of vac made that used the same barrel as the Senior?

Tom

#7 Paul-H

Paul-H

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:20 PM

You have got to love the bit of rubber tube supplied to join the broken bits together and the way its described as if its supposed to be there.
Don't you just love these eBay chancres.
Paul

#8 IPD_Mr.

IPD_Mr.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationZionsville, Indiana

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

I love this in the write up:

Aside from the fact that the pen is in parts, there is some wear to the finish of the gold plated clip and cap band (see photos), some wear to the barrel where the cap screws on (see photos), and there is some minor overall scratches and wear, although the Finish is in Fairly Nice, Clean Condition (see photos). Otherwise, it is in Good Condition- there are no cracks, bite marks, wear, or any other condition issues or damage.

I really have a problem with this part of the listing. The barrel is broken so I guess it is not cracked, but the no other condition issues or damage is just a lie. This paragraph could lead someone to think it just needs to be re-assembled. Kind of fits the buyer beware motto.

#9 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

I love this in the write up:

Aside from the fact that the pen is in parts, there is some wear to the finish of the gold plated clip and cap band (see photos), some wear to the barrel where the cap screws on (see photos), and there is some minor overall scratches and wear, although the Finish is in Fairly Nice, Clean Condition (see photos). Otherwise, it is in Good Condition- there are no cracks, bite marks, wear, or any other condition issues or damage.

I really have a problem with this part of the listing. The barrel is broken so I guess it is not cracked, but the no other condition issues or damage is just a lie. This paragraph could lead someone to think it just needs to be re-assembled. Kind of fits the buyer beware motto.

Well, it is cracked... just all the way around ;)

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#10 Inkysloth

Inkysloth

journeyman

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:54 PM

I'm not sure it is the same pen. It doesn't look like there is an engraving, the break looks a bit different, and the nib would have had to have been swapped for the Eversharp, etc.

Yes, that makes at least three seniors in the last little while. This one could still be used for parts, if someone had a spare barrel. Was there another model of vac made that used the same barrel as the Senior?

Tom

Damn! You're right - it's not the same pen. That means there are multiple Vacs suffering out there :(
My prints and cards: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Inkysloth

#11 IPD_Mr.

IPD_Mr.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationZionsville, Indiana

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:04 PM

Well, it is cracked... just all the way around ;)

-d

I had always thought cracked to mean split or coming apart without actually separating. Marriam Webster defines it as to break, split or snap apart. So technically speaking you could say that it is cracked.
:blink:

Regardless of definition hair splitting, what is it that you were trying to point out on this one David.

#12 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:49 PM

Regardless of definition hair splitting, what is it that you were trying to point out on this one David.

"Cracked" indeed at first definition doesn't mean (or needn't mean) full separation/"broken", but can be used that way. I'm charmed by the fine line...

The key though on this link was not the sad shape for... a... Vac, but that the pen in fact was a scarce model, made for just about one year, the clue to that in the limited photos showed in the auction. Didja catch that clue?

regards

david

Posted Image

#13 tmenyc

tmenyc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:59 AM

"leg's just got an open fracture...it's not broken..."

Tim

#14 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:51 AM

"Cracked" indeed at first definition doesn't mean (or needn't mean) full separation/"broken", but can be used that way. I'm charmed by the fine line...

The key though on this link was not the sad shape for... a... Vac, but that the pen in fact was a scarce model, made for just about one year, the clue to that in the limited photos showed in the auction. Didja catch that clue?

regards

david

I doubt it was the Eversharp nib. Perhaps the cap bands attracted you?

#15 Rick Propas

Rick Propas

journeyman

• ADVISORS
  • 227 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

Well, it's a Senior, made in 1936, the transition year, with a split band like those of some of the late streamline Duo's.

The other thing that caught my attention is that the barrel is not "broken." Not even a simple fracture, but rather a delamination. Insanely easy to fix, and to fix perfectly.

If I did not a) already have a few of these, including a green pencil) and B) sworn off projects, I'd be after it
Posted Image
Visit The PENguin
rickpropas@comcast.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users