Photo

Interesting 1940's Sheaffer Pencil via ebay.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:50 AM

Hi,

One of the charms of being and oldbie on ebay is that I can still track some of us, via our original ebay names. Danny Kirchheimer just picked up an interesting 1940's Sheaffer pencil via this ebay auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=271303280904

I cleaned up the image a bit. First time I've seen this anomaly. Thoughts?

Posted Image

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:22 AM

Somebody just had to have a clip on his/her clipless Triumph Tuckaway pencil? Could have been a lunch time project, a blunder, or aftermarket.

#3 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:53 AM

That is very interesting David! Do you think someone did this at the factory for fun/on the side, or a prototype?

Greg Minuskin
www.gregminuskin.com
greg@gregminuskin.com

#4 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:14 AM

Okay, I looked at this early on and would have said a mismatch....except the buyer is ...err...not likely to make a mistake....!! So it must be of some significance. Apart from the clip the other feature that looks odd is the pencil tip ( to me at least) yet trim and wear wise looks like it's been together for a long time. I wait with interest the "story" behind this.

r
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:29 AM

Okay, I looked at this early on and would have said a mismatch....except the buyer is ...err...not likely to make a mistake....!! So it must be of some significance. Apart from the clip the other feature that looks odd is the pencil tip ( to me at least) yet trim and wear wise looks like it's been together for a long time. I wait with interest the "story" behind this.

r
Hugh

Hi Hugh,

Don't think there is a story, and noting that any buyer can make mistakes, yes to me the clip looks like it started out life together with rest of the pencil top.

Tuckies from 1942-45 generally are clipless, so as has been noted the presence of a long clip is the anomaly. Etiology is uncertain but (as noted in my Off Catalogue Sheaffer Cap Band article in PENnant), one can pull up the usual (sometimes overlapping) list, noting some here are more likely than others (as always is true with that list): Small-run, Special order, Accident, "Lunchtime Special", Prototype, Experiment, Niche Market, etc...

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#6 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:28 PM

Notice the continuous lines on the cap band? Daniel reports the pencil has chrome trim...

Edited by matt, 01 November 2013 - 03:45 PM.

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

Notice the continuous lines on the cap band? Daniel reports the pencil has chrome trim...

Hi Matt,

To my eye the trim clearly was chrome. But, reverse trim (which was catalogued--or at least "pamphleted") for Triumph of course was not the eye catching feature on this one.

regards

david

Posted Image

#8 snorkelcc

snorkelcc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:44 AM

Never seen reverse trim war time Tuckaway with clip, any chance this is an experiment before transition to after war Tuckaway clip models ?

cc

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users