Photo

Can a Flat Top that is 4 9/16" capped be a Senior?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tmenyc

tmenyc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:50 PM

One came to me that was called a Senior, but it's about the same length as the one I recently asked about here and mistakenly called a Junior.  I thought all Seniors were 5 1/4" capped?    

Thanks.

Tim

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:07 PM

Hi,

The pen collectors generally call a Senior flat top is 9/16th wide across cap lip (outer edges) and yes usually about 5 1/4" long. On occasion a cap can close unduly low on barrel, but this would be pushing it no doubt. How wide is the pen?

regards

d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:14 PM

A senior would have to be full length - something in the 5 1/4 range.  There are full girth pens that are not seniors.  I can see you want something easy and I find that the codes are easy.  Sheaffer used codes early on and they aren't random so you may find it helpful.  For a black pen we have no color code so that keeps it real simple.  Senior is an 8C - large pen with a clip.  Assuming yours has a clip as you are just saying it is short we get 8SC - large short pen with a clip.  People get stuck on "senior" due to that being the most desired, generally, of all the sizes available.  Sheaffer generally has a theme of C, SC, and SR which would be Full sized (length) with clip, Short with clip and Short Ring Top (generally ring tops are all short).  There are several ranges of diameter which accompany distinct lines so there is not a universal code for a particular diameter.  T, 74, 46, 5-30, 22, 3-25 etc., are all thinner pens.  8's, Secretarys (RSecy models) and some 7-30's are the largest diameter so as long as they are full length they qualify as seniors or oversized.  So 5 1/4" long by .58" cap diameter is a senior.

Roger W.

#4 tmenyc

tmenyc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:53 AM

thanks, Roger and David -- I'll measure the width from the office tomorrow. Pen is there.  

Much appreciated, as always.  

Tim

#5 snorkelcc

snorkelcc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:05 PM

Hi,

I have been confused by the 'T' and '4' since I got the 1926 Catalog, it mentioned 'T' means thinner but '84' is also thinner with smaller radius point. From the picture, I will say 8 > T8 > 84, am I correct ?

'84' (I assumed the same as '74') come with smaller radius point ? How big is this '4' point compare to the Self Filing points ?

Any idea about the nib sizes in Flattop and Balance era compare to those in Self Filing ?

CC

#6 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:27 PM

Hi,

I have been confused by the 'T' and '4' since I got the 1926 Catalog, it mentioned 'T' means thinner but '84' is also thinner with smaller radius point. From the picture, I will say 8 > T8 > 84, am I correct ?

'84' (I assumed the same as '74') come with smaller radius point ? How big is this '4' point compare to the Self Filing points ?

Any idea about the nib sizes in Flattop and Balance era compare to those in Self Filing ?

CC

Off the top of my head on cap diameters 8 = .58" T = .55" and 4 = .52".  

Roger W.

#7 snorkelcc

snorkelcc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:34 PM

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your clarifications...

CC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users