7 replies to this topic

#1 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:18 AM

So, been out getting inventory for my website, and got this WASP pen set, see photos below. 

I was under the impression that WASP pens are the student grade Sheaffer's pens, and as such, sometimes had gold nibs, cheaper trim, but this set is neither. Maybe  this was the top of the line pen set in the Harvard or Yale book store for sale that only the son or daughter of a Senator could buy.

Interest writing on the nib; says "Writes Two Ways."

Any information will be much appreciated! Thank you wonderful Fountain Pen Board members!

Greg Minuskin

www.gregminuskin.com

greg@gregminuskin.com

gallery_7078_339_50813.jpggallery_7078_339_51816.jpggallery_7078_339_27932.jpggallery_7078_339_16957.jpggallery_7078_339_3490.jpg

Edited by Greg Minuskin, 05 December 2013 - 04:21 AM.

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:05 AM

Hi Greg,

Tomorrow will post images of a couple with some comments.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:17 PM

Okay, thanks David! I know you would know about these unusual pens!

Greg Minuskin

greg@gregminuskin.com

www.gregminuskin.com

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:36 AM

Hi Greg,

As you know, I've written a bit about WASPS (Sheaffer sub-brand pen), particularly about  those done in  the celluloid pattern we call Screaming Souls in Purgatory.

The Sheaffer 1930's sub-brand story--  including pens with words in their barrel imprints including at least  Univer, WASP, Vacuum, Vacuum-Fil, Clipper, or Addipoint--  is not superbly fleshed out even after decades of consideration by the hobby. Generally the pens  are second to third  tier pens.  We are quite blessed to have a fair number of adverts and some catalogue pages (good thing Sheaffer was a huge company and actuall liked its sub-brand pens), but plenty of questions remain. i also note that in some cases a given "brand" imprint (eg. WASP Clipper) was employed  not only on pens of different plastics but also on pens of different shape and quality.

The pens  you discuss are found with bland WASP imprint  (no further name such as "Clipper" or "Vacuum Fil")  but also wtih WASP Addipoint imprint.

In general WASP Addipoints appear to have been the low end pens in the second tier world of Sheaffer sub-brands. I have some paper for WASP Vacuum-FIl, WASP Clipper and (approaching from the angle of plastic pattern rather than imprint type) for the "Screamer", Lahn, and "Circuit Board" pens.

I've no paper on the pens we discuss today.  They do seem a bit fancier than the ultimately low WASP Addipoints that have steel nibs and chrome trim. These have gold-tone trim and apparently gold nibs, at least usually.

Don't know if they were a parallel production to the really crappy Addipoints or were slighly earlier products.  I have a feeling, based purely on having handled many 1930's Sheaffer sub-brand pens,  that these date to very late 1930s or even early 1940's, the tail end of Sheaffer sub-brand production.  Though the trim is yellow, I have suspicion it is fragile gold plated, not up to the level of Sheaffer's better gold-filled seen on Balance and perhaps on some of the better sub-brand pens.  These seem fragile.

They are found in two sizes and at least two different plastic styles--a marbled and a candy-mesh-- though I have to look at more pens to determine if the two plastics correlate to specific brand imprint variations.

I have one generally like this with a lower-set clip with a "W" imprint. Not sure how that links to the others.

Photo is below, then some final comments.

wasp_candy_mesh_900a.jpg

The red pen above is marbled. The others I believe are mesh pattern. The generally similar gray pen has a different clip.

I like these, as they represent another aspect of a field which intrigues me, sub-brand pens.  But, they are relatively low-tier with lmited market.  They can have bit of value in nice condition as most are found trashed.

Note that this info I offer is observational and indeed speculative.

regards

David

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#5 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:54 AM

Dear David,

I really, really appreciate your in-depth and quantitative answer to my query. What I find most interesting is that there is still room for "discovery" of details, but it is fun to speculate what was going on during that time.  Determination of trim quality and nib quality for sure are significant "markers" to guide one to making deductions/sleuth like conclusions, and only with more experience on my end will I be able to deduce such subtleties of collecting as the years go by for my foray into the wonderful world of pen collecting.

True, with limited numbers of these unusual pens surviving, many of them trashed and destroyed, one could only conjecture what hidden treasures still lurk out there that will turn up in the near future. 

Could one speculate that these "middle low grade" pens were some attempt to target a market that was a bit more thrifty, yet, was looking for a middle quality of pen between the low end, steel nib pens, and the regular issue Sheaffer's?

Thank you again for sharing your expertise, and I know more now about these fascinating pens!

Greg Minuskin

greg@gregminuskin.com

www.gregminuskin.com

#6 snorkelcc

snorkelcc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:59 PM

Sheaffer Sub-brand is an interesting topic to me, unfortunately the information are very few and of course a lot of '???'...

I have done some studies mainly based on my collections, comments are welcome.

gallery_9970_96_6148.jpg

So far I found 3 plastics styles, 2 of them has been mentioned by David, the 3rd looks like Esterbrook J pens. Imprints of these pens are confusing, even on the same pattern, some with WASP Addipoint while some only has WASP Pen Comapny. May be actually these pens were coming from 2 different families becasue those with Addipoint imprint are normally with sliver color 3 digits WASP nibs but those with WASP are equipped with gold color (no marking to confirm solid gold) WASP #2 or #3 nibs.

WASP/Addipoint comes with at least 2 sizes and thus the gold color nibs are always come with #2 or #3. The one that shown by Greg are normally found in larger size WSAP Clipper pens (model 395 or 500).

There are 3 different style of clips in my WASP Addipoint collection (see picture below)

gallery_9970_96_48659.jpg

CC

#7 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:43 PM

The PCA's WASP brochure https://www.pencolle...38-feb-12-pages shows the Addipoint model with a stainless steel clip available in 3 marbled and 3 striped colors, and black. The page showing the $1.00 and $1.50 counter top display cards also notes that WASP products appear in 4-color ads in the Saturday Evening Post, Liberty, and Colliers. The Crispline pencil shown in the original post is most likely analogous to the .9mm Fineline, thus dating it to 1938 or later.

Edited by matt, 06 December 2013 - 08:44 PM.

#8 snorkelcc

snorkelcc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:25 PM

Hi Matt, Thanks for your info.

I think I should consider to join PCA ^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users