• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:47 PM

I'm not sure if I've seen this this same cobbled-up looking WASP re-listed several times over the past year or two, or if that odd section is normal for this model. http://www.ebay.com/itm/310813796651

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:55 PM

It does not appear to be healthy.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:35 AM

On the other hand, Kirchheimer emailed back channel:

Normal, and not all that uncommon. Definitely a weird design, though.

--Daniel

gallery_151_19_55902.jpg

Edited by matt, 10 December 2013 - 02:42 AM.

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:02 AM

He plays with these more than I do, but it is  a bit bizarre nonetheless.  And of course, "not at all uncommon" just begs for a formal definition ;)

At first peek I'd wondered if a sub-section with nib (shimmed in to hold a small nib in an OS section) had come out, but it appears to be too snug in the barrel to be that.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#5 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:59 AM

What does the vacuum fil mean it's got a lever?  I'm very confused can someone explain in simple terms.

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:48 AM

Hi Widget,

You really need to join PCA to get the PENnant. I addressed just your question a year or so back in my article on the Sheaffer sub-brands p ens done in Screaming Souls in Purgatory plastic.

In  discussion of Sheaffer's 1930's sub-brands, marked by a plethora of sometimes overlapping names, color patterns and styles,  I wrote the following,

USA-sourced Sheaffer sub-brand labels from the 1930's often incorporated the words “WASP” (for W. A. Sheaffer Pen) and/or “Vacuum”. Sheaffer used the word “Vacuum” with some of its inexpensive sub-brands starting in 1934, shortly (Coincidentally?  Sure...) after Parker made a big splash with expensive high-line “vacuum” pens. For Sheaffer, in contrast to Parker, “Vacuum” did not define the filling mechanism. Indeed, Sheaffer sub-brand pens employing the word, “Vacuum”, are known with filling systems including lever, twist-sac and plunger.

Note too, that to degree any self filling pen employs a vacuum to fill, pretty much all filling systems, whatever their name, use said vacuum.  Parker just made it a big deal by putting the word in the name of a well known series.

regards

David

Posted Image

#7 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:25 PM

David  I joined the PCA a month ago but there is so much to read.  I've been looking at Waterman's since I bought my little safety pen and David N told me the pattern name.  I try to read a bit each evening but I have a problem reading for prolonged periods since the brain injury.  It causes shooting pains in my eye.

#8 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:15 PM

David  I joined the PCA a month ago but there is so much to read.  I've been looking at Waterman's since I bought my little safety pen and David N told me the pattern name.  I try to read a bit each evening but I have a problem reading for prolonged periods since the brain injury.  It causes shooting pains in my eye.

All good. I was being a bit flippant in any case.  The odds of anyone having read everything  out there are not... good ;)

Figured it was a good excuse to cite the Screamer article.

regards

d

Posted Image

#9 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:11 PM

I will read it with pleasure.

#10 snorkelcc

snorkelcc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:43 AM

I would say this pen is having a wrong or cut section...

CC

#11 Norm

Norm

journeyman

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:34 PM

I have a similiar pen. It is a vacuum Fil but does not say WASP, just Vacuum - Fil. It has a blind cap and a rod plunger much like Vac fill Sheaffers. Mine has a more normal section too.  Nib says Vacuum Fil Writes  two ways Made in USA

DSCN1062_zps3e4582d1.jpg

Edited by Norm, 12 December 2013 - 07:40 PM.

#12 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:15 AM

Here's another with the same threaded section, so as Daniel said, they're not all that uncommon.  Looks like a good way to leave/lose the nib and section inside the cap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161188420460

gallery_151_19_28954.jpg

#13 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:37 AM

Dunno, Matt.  2 items might not constitute a significant trend.

I've bought 4 Vac-Band Parker Vacumatics during the last four months.  Recognizing, we we both do, that cachet can occur independent of scarcity, nonetheless few people would claim that Vac-Band Vacumatics are not uncommon.

regards

d

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users