• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 snorkelcc

snorkelcc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:01 AM

The carmine pen is having a WD at an interesting positon which is normally for military models, I have put a military pen to compare.

I have never seen WD at this position besides military models. It seems to me that this cap is left over material after Sheaffer obsoleted the military models, so instead of miltary clip, it mounted with normal clip. Any comment ?

gallery_9970_96_11255.jpg

gallery_9970_96_5618.jpg

CC

#2 Jos

Jos

journeyman

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:10 AM

It would be surprising if that straight clip was fitted on a 'military cap' in the factory, unless it was done by accident.

Isn't it more likely that the clip was mounted as a repair for a broken military clip?

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:15 AM

Hi Snork,

Thanks for sharing.  I offered a pen of this sort in a prior thread:

Link to Sheaffer Balance White Dot on Wrong Side

I agree. The cap would appear to have been intended for a military-clip pen, fitted though with a non-military long clip which was placed on opposite side of cap, to avoid obscuring the white dot.  Barring an accident, Sheaffers intention for such a critter is uncertain.  It strikes me as a bit unlikely, though not impossible, that these were intended for routine sale.  Enough (still small number. I've seen fewer than ten, but of course cannot examine the opposite side of cap for every non-WD Balance that pops up on ebay) appear to disfavor simple accident.  If not an accident and if not intended for routine sale (yes, that's a fair number of "ifs"), perhaps made for internal company consumption. Dare we say, "lunchtime special"?  Idunno.

I now own Black, Carmine, and Brown. All caps are stubby length, c/w standard size military-clip pens.

sheafferbalance_whitedot_backwardA1000.j

sheafferbalance_whitedot_backwardB1000.j

regards

David

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#4 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:38 PM

Since we are talking white dots and position, I have a black combo with two WDs. If there is interest I can dig it out and examine closely. I recall both dots are on the cap 180 degrees apart.

#5 AeRoberto

AeRoberto

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:47 PM

Can it be a replacement clip? Maybe I'm wrong, but the clips should be swappable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users