Brian Cole

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationKingman, Arizona

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:30 AM

http://www.ebay.com/...=item20ddd9de3a

Am I missing something? Do people thinks it's a plum?

#2 George

George

journeyman

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:34 AM

No plums about it. Looks like a standard black 51 aero to me.

Regards,

George

#3 Brian Cole

Brian Cole

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationKingman, Arizona

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:35 AM

Me too. Just wondering if I was missing something here.

#4 Rockyrod

Rockyrod

journeyman

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:55 AM

It looks like two bidders got into a bidding war.

Rod R.
USAF, Ret.

#5 Sir. Ebaysalot

Sir. Ebaysalot

journeyman

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • LocationMassapequa Park, NY

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:17 AM

Things like that happen sometimes. I recently sold a user grade black 51 for $242.50 at auction, which is 5X the actual value of that pen. As Rockyrod said, sometimes 2 or more people like a certain item and are willing to pay a crazy price for it.

Now if only there were more crazy people on ebay....

#6 Paul-H

Paul-H

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

The answer to this one is quite simple, the pen seller is based in America and Parker 51's sold in America nearly always sell for a much higher price than Parker 51's sold in the rest of the world, if that pen was sold in the UK or Europe it would have struggled to hit £30 ($50).  Don't know why this is though as there must be many more 51's in the wild in America than there are in the wild in Europe.

Just wish the Americans would as willing to buy from Europe sellers as Europe seller are in buying from American sellers.;) even though its much cheaper to post to America than it is the other way around.

Paul

#7 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:58 PM

The answer to this one is quite simple, the pen seller is based in America and Parker 51's sold in America nearly always sell for a much higher price than Parker 51's sold in the rest of the world, if that pen was sold in the UK or Europe it would have struggled to hit £30 ($50).  Don't know why this is though as there must be many more 51's in the wild in America than there are in the wild in Europe.

Just wish the Americans would as willing to buy from Europe sellers as Europe seller are in buying from American sellers. ;) even though its much cheaper to post to America than it is the other way around.

Paul

I hope that's the case Paul, because I'm going to put a couple of 51 Pen/Pencil sets on ebay today. I hope they get this kind of action.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#8 welch

welch

journeyman

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:27 PM

Just wish the Americans would as willing to buy from Europe sellers as Europe seller are in buying from American sellers. ;) even though its much cheaper to post to America than it is the other way around.

Paul

I've tried to stop buying so many pens -- mostly P51s -- when I buy, I got to EBay UK because the "English" P51s more often had medium/broad nibs. A few years ago, the UK prices were about the same as US prices...maybe even a bit higher.

#9 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:59 PM

To further this thread, as I mentioned, I was selling some P51s this week that I hadn't gotten around to restoring. This Vac pen/pencil set just finished, and went for a lot more than I expected. I don't think I paid more than $50 for this set a couple of years ago. The other two auctions are still going but seem to be coming in higher than I expected as well. Have 51s just gotten that much more popular?

Here's a photo of the set so that it'll be in the thread long term.

P51VacSetFull_zps6779f772.jpg

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#10 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:43 PM

Y'all think that's bad?  This guy must be delusional... ;)

http://www.vacumania...aleparker51.htm

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#11 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:37 AM

Y'all think that's bad?  This guy must be delusional... ;)

http://www.vacumania...aleparker51.htm

regards

david

Naw, he works two jobs, he can afford it.

#12 Sir. Ebaysalot

Sir. Ebaysalot

journeyman

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • LocationMassapequa Park, NY

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:43 PM

Even for an NOS 51, the price this guy is paying is way too high.

#13 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:46 PM

Even for an NOS 51, the price this guy is paying is way too high.

Hi,

In this case the price is not because the pen is NOS.

regards

David

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#14 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:20 AM

Described as "cross lines" so likely a Heritage cap - hard to see the vertical lines in the photos - with 14k clip. Only made for the first couple years of the aerometric series. Is it possible these were sold by special order for a number of years afterward? The box is post '58 - note the arrow/halo markings, but is the clip long or short (a clip from a demi Heritage would be the same length as the post '50 short clip).

Edited by matt, 28 January 2014 - 01:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users