• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mastersmith043

Mastersmith043

journeyman

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:43 PM

The more I learn about the Parker "51" the more I'm fascinated by it. 

One of the things that I can't find any info on is what was the reasoning behind the discontinuance of the Plum colored "51"s. 

To my modern eye, it's just as attractive as the other colors, but I'm sure tastes differed back then. 

Does se anyone have any hard reasons, or explanations by Parker as to the reason it was discontinued after such a short time?

Check out my fledgling pen blog: http://kimballspens.blogspot.com

#2 parkercollector.com

parkercollector.com

journeyman

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:36 PM

I seem to remember that Kenneth Parker thought it was too close in colour to the Burgundy, not sure where I heard it though.

/Tony

Posted Image

#3 Paul-H

Paul-H

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:17 PM

Probably because actual sales where a disappointment.  which obviously now only adds to their value.

Paul

#4 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:30 PM

I seem to remember that Kenneth Parker thought it was too close in colour to the Burgundy, not sure where I heard it though.

/Tony

I don't recall hearing anything so solid in the way of evidence. Would be good to have this documented.

Certainly it is plausible: it surely wasn't any easier to tell Burgundy and Plum apart back in 1949 than it is nowadays.

#5 Norm

Norm

journeyman

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:14 AM

There once was a book called "How to Dress for Success"  Hold on. I am leading somewhere relevant. It discusses colors and how men respond to them, relatively speaking.  It said that purple (Plum) is ( was in the 40's & 50's) considered a feminine color except in a couple places around the country where the local university color was purple... Kansas State for example.  The book said that men's reaction to purple was negative almost to the point of being hostile. 

My guess is that sales were slow, especially in full sized pens at least in part because men in general did not care for that color. (blue-violet, violet, red-violet)   

Edited by Norm, 04 June 2014 - 11:29 AM.

#6 Mastersmith043

Mastersmith043

journeyman

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

There once was a book called "How to Dress for Success"  Hold on. I am leading somewhere relevant. It discusses colors and how men respond to them, relatively speaking.  It said that purple (Plum) is ( was in the 40's & 50's) considered a feminine color except in a couple places around the country where the local university color was purple... Kansas State for example.  The book said that men's reaction to purple was negative almost to the point of being hostile. 

My guess is that sales were slow, especially in full sized pens at least in part because men in general did not care for that color. (blue-violet, violet, red-violet)   

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! It seems interesting  that such a dark color would be seen as "Feminine" but I guess the times are just different. 

#7 Mastersmith043

Mastersmith043

journeyman

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

Probably because actual sales where a disappointment.  which obviously now only adds to their value.

Paul

Oh, the Irony!

#8 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:09 AM

Mandarin Duofold anyone?

-david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#9 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:25 AM

Mandarin Duofold anyone?

-david

Is the blind cap Plum?

#10 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:48 AM

Doubt it ;)

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#11 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:15 AM

Mandarin Duofold anyone?

-david

Exactly.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#12 welch

welch

journeyman

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:19 AM

I think that's it. Consider how many black, teal, or cedar blue 51s float across Ebay. A lawyer pulls out a purple P51? Not Perry Mason, and not any other self-respecting executive or professional. Hippies made tie-died tee-shirts in wild colors, but that was after about 1967...1950 was aproximately "the man in the gray flannel suit". 

As more evidence, watch the two PfM commercials. Then compare to the commercial for the Lady Sheaffer ("loads with a cartridge...just like her lipstick").

#13 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:44 AM

snip .......

As more evidence, watch the two PfM commercials.  ........  snip

Where, exactly would we do that?  Do you have a link?

Also, the plum color is so dark, I can't believe anyone would consider it feminine.  You have to get it in the sunlight just to tell that it isn't black.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#14 Christof Z

Christof Z

journeyman

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • LocationConfoederatio Helvetica

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:43 PM

You have to get it in the sunlight just to tell that it isn't black.

...this may be the key. the result just didn't justified the expenses.
c.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users