26 replies to this topic

#1 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:14 AM

Here are the catalogue shots of the Sheaffer lamps listed by date that they were first offered. The 1931 line states that the lamp on the right is the only one shown but, there are three additional lamps in that brochure. There are then 28 in all. There are four lamps that I am aware of after 1940 two are lamps that have "SHEAFFER'S" cut into the shade. The other two are Faries lamps made in Decatur, Illinois that were designed by Masterson, one of which is the famous "Cobra" lamp often mistakenly attributed to Norman Bel-Geddes.

Roger W.

Posted Image

#2 Kirchh

Kirchh

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:45 PM

Great stuff, Roger. Thanks for putting this together.

--Daniel

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:49 PM

Great stuff, Roger. Thanks for putting this together.

--Daniel

Agreed. First presentation of this sort I've seen.

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#4 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:37 AM

In the past month I've gotten two more. Sheaffer made 33 lamps that I am aware of - 29 of those during 1926-1940 19 of which are pictured. I'll put up the group shots for now and individuals or groups later. I added one with the fact that the Amronlite in the front came in both single and double base.

Roger W.

Posted Image
I thought I might have enough room when I started putting them down - I needed more room.

Posted Image
A little bit more order. 1926 in front with 1950's in the rear. The early ones were incandescent and the later ones tended to be flourescent.

Posted Image
At this angle you can see some of the little ones in the middle from the '30's.

#5 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:25 PM

I thought some additional details on the lamps might be of interest. There are three lamps in 1928; the banker lamp, the DeLuxe and the first Egyptian figure lamp.

The banker lamp was patented by Amronlite in 1917 and was made for inkwells not desk bases. Amronlite is a tradename held by Faries Manufacturing in Decatur, Illinois a couple hours east of Fort Madison (all three lamps are Amronlite not just the banker style). Sheaffer really put this lamp on the map though, as inkwell models of this lamp are very infrequently found.

Posted Image

Amronlite early double inkwell lamp.

So Amronlite had been around for a while and there are different setups.

Posted Image
Four banker lamps - two singles and two doubles.

The banker lamps came for double or single desk base units the #19 for the double and the #10 for the single generally. It is believed between Mr. Reppert and myself, that these came natually finished from Amronlite and should, therefore, age and acquire a rather dark patina. You do find them on occassion highly polished and lacquered which was likely done sometime later. So the one on the right is shiny - it's a nice presentation but, not original (and not done by me). Note the desk base though is a single pen on a wide holder. These, if they have their original tag, are marked #10 long with "long" hand written - I've seen several. There are three or four styles of shades with the most common being the green shade that everyone expects with a banker lamp. There is a red chipped ice shade shown in the picture and there is also a green chipped ice version. A common green shade without chips is worth $250 with the value jumping to $350-400 for the chipped ice versions and that is just for the shade. The shade is the value of the lamp as the deskbases can be had for as little as $10 and the lamp without the shade is only worth around $50. $300 is a good price for the common banker lamp. Single bases are somewhat more common than double.

Posted Image
A single with a #112 jade radite base

Posted Image
Same base showing the marine green desk pen

Posted Image
The hieght of this style lamp should sport an acorn pull

Posted Image
Closeup of red chipped ice shade

#6 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:41 PM

Agreed. First presentation of this sort I've seen.

-d

+1 from me as well Roger.

While on lamps, I assume this, while sporting a Sheaffer pen, isn't a Sheaffer lamp.

Posted Image

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#7 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:56 AM

Hugh;

To the best of my knowledge that is not a Sheaffer lamp.

Here is the rest of 1928 -

Roger W.

There is an ungainly lamp known as the DeLuxe -

Posted Image

The shade is so large and relatively low that access to the pens is a bit difficult.

It was made for a period of time as the one above is a later model

Posted Image
This DeLuxe has the insert sockets.

Seen from the user side you can appreciate the tight clearence on the pens.

Posted Image

The other big lamp for 1928 was the Egyptian figure lamp which came in 4 styles by 1930. The 1928 model had an Italian Marble base and cost $50.

Posted Image
The 1928 catalogue is a loose leaf portfolio and this was a late add page. The lamp is also called DeLuxe.

Posted Image
What in 1930 would be called the Egyptian figure

Posted Image
Again manufactured long enough that this does not have the socket insert as catalogues but is direct mount.

I'll go ahead and show the later Egyptian figure lamps numbers 307, 308 and 318 of 1930. Offered at $53, $60 and $156 with a Waltham 8 day clock. These are all mounted on Vavapai onyx exept for the 318 which is on Brazilian Onyx (green).

Posted Image
Single on Vavapai onyx

Posted Image
Double on Vavapai onyx

Posted Image
I've never seen this one

Posted Image
Interesting shot of the 3 I own - it is also the way they sit on the 1917 Sheaffer cabinet.

I'm glad to have purchased these some time ago as they have been demanding over $500.

Roger W.

#8 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:00 PM

The rest of 1930 was three more lamps for a total of 6 (7 as the DeLuxe was still offered). The catalogue was originally put together no doubt, before the crash at the end of 1929. It is a huge volume with more offerings than Sheaffer would have again being targeted at all price ranges. The highest priced desk set in the catalogue was $111 with references to sets that cost upward of $500 but, we have no idea what this (these) looked like. It would take until 1937 before another set hit $100 and that was a singular occurance not repeated thru the rest of the classic desk set period (1925-1941).

Roger W.

The first one is an all metal affair number 319 at $23 (available as a double number 320 at $26).

Posted Image

The next is number 321 at $35 on Italian marble also available as a double for $40.

Posted Image

The last is the Special Leopold which is a low standing double light with two desk bases at either end secured on a button on the black walnut base. This is number 316 at $90.

Posted Image
The acid etched shade is one of the more decorative lamps Sheaffered offered.

Posted Image
Detail of the button that secures the desk base

Posted Image
Lamp with bases

Posted Image
Detail of the ornate work on this lamp

Posted Image
Shown in contrast with a DeLuxe

#9 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:39 AM

Continuing the saga we hit the dark ages for any pen manufacturer 1931-1935. There are a total of 7 lamps - 5 from 1931 and 2 from '35. I own none of them! I have had the opportunity to own two of them and the first is the best story and it says a lot about me.

In 1931 Sheaffer offered a small lamp that pretty much is a kit affair of adding a lamp attachment to a #17 base. It looks really hokie but, the big problem is that the documentation is rare. I've seen three of them offered at different times years ago...before I had the documentation...so I passed!! I've not seen another one since! Sometimes you have to gamble but, it just didn't look like much of anything (I'm whinning). The 323B follows which is the pictured lamp in the same ad as the 325. As variations on a theme they are 325 A, B, C and D - two singles and two doubles with green glass or metal shades.

Roger W.

Posted Image

Model 325 - kit on a #17 base - who knew?

Posted Image
323B

Posted Image
323B - EBay image from a few years ago - one that got away!

The 1935 models I can't feel too bad about as I've never seen one.

Posted ImagePosted Image
327 and 328

#10 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:19 AM

In 1936 we still don't get into the swing of things with much in lamps there is only the extremely small K043. This is on a block of wood painted black for $8.50. The arm of the lamp is a chromium "S". I've seen great examples (as far as this lamp can go) bring $100 but, I got one of the two I have for 99 cents.

Posted Image

K043 - 1936

Now 1937 we get back into lamps - five different ones. The first is a small plastic shaded lamp that usually has some damage to the shade - the N138 for $12.50. Larger than the '36 lamp but still quite small.

Posted Image
N138

Markel was a large producer of lamps and Sheaffer has a great bedroom style from them ($12.50) -

Posted Image
P085 - I have two of them - wouldn't you have to?

In the same vein is the R148 for $15 (never seen same as the V119 for $50 as a double and $40 as a single).
Posted ImagePosted Image

The last one is the T076 for $25 (strangely the V079 from 1935 is shown as well)
Posted Image
This one has a lot of chrome not seen in the catalogue model

Roger W.

#11 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:50 AM

Last installment of the regular line of lamp production and I have all of these - 6 in total. 1938 came up with only one new lamp commonly referred to as an umbrella type. The look of this one is not too refined but it is very heavy. This is the R215.

Posted Image

Model R215.

Two lamps were offered for the first time in 1939 the first being the second umbrella N308. Much more refined in the base and shade and very much lighter in weight. The first style was $15 and the price of the second was brought down to $12.50 so this type was a lower end line for Sheaffer.

Posted Image

The N308 of 1939

The second lamp for 1939 was the first of the flourescent lamps the V349 and cost $60. This lamp is one of the more stylized for the period.

Posted Image
V349 of 1939

Flourescents were the main lamps on offer for 1940 and the prices went down along with the styling. The most commonly found is the N328 which was candescent at a mere $12.50.

Posted ImagePosted Image
N328 of 1940 - also 1941

I'd never seen the larger size of this model but, finally found one. The S368 sold for $20. It is significantly larger than the N328.

Posted Image

The last new lamp for 1940 was the flourecent that would be modified to be the first "Sheaffer's" advertising cutout model. In 1940 it came as a single or double for $25 or $35 (single T188 double V369). The shade and base of the T188 are both more refined than the later advertising model.

Posted Image
1940 V369

Roger W.

#12 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:00 AM

OK, we are complete for 1928 thru 1940. There are only four lamps I am aware of that were issued in the 1940's and 1950's. The "Cobra" is the famous one and is often wrongly attributed to Bel Geddes though it was designed by Jean O. Reinecke in the form that Sheaffer used it (D146,987). This was significantly modified by William F. Masterson's design for Faries Manufacturing (D148,375). While I've not seen a Masterson copy he was the one that patented the lamp itself for Faries Manufacturing filed on July 25, 1946 based on Reinecke's design which was assigned to Sheaffer though Reinecke is from Oak Park, Illinois. One of the unique features is the undershade or the auxiliary reflector that reflected additional light up to the main shade to reflect overall greater light to the working surface (Patent 2,511,780 filed July 25, 1946).

Posted Image

This is a followup of Masterson's work on an earlier lamp design patent 146,116 filed November 15, 1945.

Posted Image
One of the sexier lamps Sheaffer offered with flowing design elements.

Posted Image

The Masterson/Reinecke lamps were the last regular lamps offered. While Faries Manufacturing in Decatur, Illinois had been a major concern with the usual Decatur attractions named for the company they seem to have went out of business in the 1950's. Desk lamps appear to have declined greatly with the improvements made to general room lighting so that individual desk lamps were not necessary. Remember this is the some company that started Sheaffer out with the banker shade models under the trade name Amronlite in 1928 which Faries had patented in 1918.

The other two lamps are the advertising lamps with the shade cutouts for Sheaffer. The first was based on the T188 of 1940 but the refined curves were replaced with flatout utility.

Posted Image
1940's advertising cutout lamp

Posted Image
The V369 (double as opposed to the single T188) compared to the advertising model

The last lamp is the 1950's blonde oak model.

Posted Image
Here pictured on a matching 6 foot cabinet.

Posted Image
The letters illuminated.

Well that is it! I hope you've enjoyed seeing the lamps and now they are all in one place.

Roger W.

#13 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:30 PM

An impressive (and somewhat overwhelming) review Roger. Thanks.

With luck during late January we will get the Articles tab up and running here. This will be there no doubt. Perhaps can put it together in integrated fashion for PENnant. I know Paul is seeking material.

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#14 PatM

PatM

journeyman

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:30 AM

Roger -

You've been busy. Thanks for putting all this together, and more importantly for sharing it all. Great stuff.

Best,
PatM

Pat Mohan

#15 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:42 AM

Roger -

You've been busy. Thanks for putting all this together, and more importantly for sharing it all. Great stuff.

Best,
PatM

Pat Mohan

Pat;

Thank you very much - high praise coming from you. I look forward to seeing you in Chicago.

Roger W.

#16 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:33 PM

Like the others I'm impressed with your collection!! Very informative on an area I'd never known much about...never encountered a Sheaffer lamp in my travels. My favorite is the first Egyptian figure lamp. Thanks.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#17 Mike Kirk

Mike Kirk

journeyman

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationWixom, Michigan

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:43 AM

I have had the pleasure of seeing much of Roger's collection(s) in his basement office and I'm always amazed at the extent of his desk bases and lamps. During my first visit, I was in desk base information overload. I think I had the shakes. Subsequent visits are no different. The lamps are icing on the cake. I take great pleasure in observing his passion and enjoy feeding it with phone calls from the wild on occasion. I can't wait to stumble upon my next desk base that he doesn't have (this is getting pretty tough to do).

And Roger, I still say it's a gear, not a scallop. :P
A terminology joke. You had to be there. ;)

Regards,
Mike

Mike Kirk

(~==]=====]]
Penfindum Restorum

Memberpca_logo100x100_zps688ac2a8.png NAWCCLogo_zps4a922f0b.jpg

#18 socrmom

socrmom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:31 PM

Attached File  faries lamp.jpg   307.34KB   17 downloads
I am looking for information on how to clean a Faries desk lamp I purchased. I've attempted to attach a photo to show what it looks like. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#19 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:52 PM

Attached File  faries lamp.jpg   307.34KB   17 downloads
I am looking for information on how to clean a Faries desk lamp I purchased. I've attempted to attach a photo to show what it looks like. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Very interesting to see another one of the Masterson first models as I hadn't seen another except for the one I have. I note yours seems to be only the lamp as there are no pen mounts. As far as cleaning goes it depends on how bad off it is. My lamp has some modest pitting and rust spots so carful polishing knocked that down and yet maintained the patina. Your base looks more heavily pitted if I read the picture right. If it was real bad off you might have to resort to a fine grade of steel wool and cosider types of finishes that could be applied. I've not considered this with any of my lamps as I've wanted to keep them in as original condition as possible.

Roger W.

#20 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:14 PM

One on ebay similar to one of Roger's.

Nice lamp.

Posted Image

regards

David

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users