8 replies to this topic

#1 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:52 AM

I often peruse eBay looking for parts piles just to keep the bins full.  It is a bad habit but it does no harm.

I've run upon two interesting auctions from the same seller closing a few days apart.  NOTE:  I participated in both auctions.  The hammer price of the two is interesting relative to one another.

Thoughts

Desk Pens-close 234

Snorke/TD l Parts-close 273

At the close price would you buy one lot, both lots, none if you spotted these in a bag at a pen show?

What lurks in the piles that is of interest if anything?

Thoughts welcome

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:59 AM

Hi Todd,

I took a quick peek. I'd give consideration to both lots for parts. Lots of nibs.

Do I smell a bouquet of lilacs?

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 gweddig

gweddig

journeyman

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • LocationNorthern CA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:09 AM

I would have gone for at least one. Like David says lots of nibs. Plus all the nice looking caps. I'd be a little at a loss with all those desk pens besides parts and I don't have that kind of volume.

I might hit you up for one of those Snorkel tubes at the show.

--greg

#4 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:44 AM

Maybe the snorkel parts.  I know desk sets and these group lots for desk sets bring stupid money.  I saw it with a big lot of early sockets a few months ago and I couldn't justify the price they brought either.

Roger W.

#5 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:43 AM

I would def have bought the Snorkel lot but no ship to UK.  Have you seen how much a single spring costs over here.  Has that Snorkel got a gold tube?

#6 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:53 AM

Certainly the snorkel lot looks a goer, lots of nibs (some flex?) and what appears a potential periwinkle makes the price look very attractive.

Regards

Hugh

Hugh Cordingley

#7 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:11 PM

The first lot has a desk pencil. Probably only a few people care, but they are difficult to find.

#8 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:25 PM

I thought both lots had merit.   Certainly there appears to be a Periwinkle or the makings of one in the parts pile.  The barrel looks damaged to me so I discounted heavily considering it only a section and end cap.  The desk lot has that pencil though they are uncommon there isn't much demand, and 17 complete pens.

I thought the price of the pure parts lot was high compared to the desk pen lot.  Why?  Seven more nibs in the desk lot and 6 complete Snorkels vs about that much in parts.  The desk lot lacks caps but at least one of the pens if not more appear to be unused.

Parts piles are always fun as is buying in bulk with a bit of a gamble factor thrown in for excitement.

#9 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:06 AM

Getting out of bed on some days is a gamble.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users